The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Window Riser Handles - Original or Repro? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272711)

dmaxweb 11-16-2019 10:52 AM

Window Riser Handles - Original or Repro?

1 Attachment(s)
How do I tell if these are original?

They have set screws and are drilled for roll pins. I seem to recall that some originals had both but I don't if any repros did.

Bob Bidonde 11-16-2019 11:03 AM

Re: Window Riser Handles - Original or Repro?

Most originals are die cast and nickle plated.

dmaxweb 11-16-2019 11:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmaxweb (Post 1821808)

They have set screws and are drilled for roll pins. I seem to recall that some originals had both but I don't if any repros did.

Additional picture

Dean Lemoine 11-16-2019 12:22 PM

I bought 4 of those from Mike’s yesterday. They’re drilled for pins but have the set screw also.

Steve Plucker 11-16-2019 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmaxweb (Post 1821808)

OK...On repros, the knob where you put your hand to raise or lower the window...You will see that the part that turns has a large "rivet" head attaching it to the handles itself.

Originals did not have this as the knob was all one peice.

Pluck

Dan Partain 11-17-2019 01:31 AM

2 Attachment(s)
When you compare the repro to the original, the most obvious difference in the repro is the tip of the knob. The repro (by Vintique, I think) has extra design that isn't on my original 82-A handles which are just plain and smooth. I haven't seen any repro's that have the smooth end of the knob.

Neil Wilson 11-17-2019 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Partain (Post 1822051)
When you compare the repro to the original, the most obvious difference in the repro is the tip of the knob. The repro (by Vintique, I think) has extra design that isn't on my original 82-A handles which are just plain and smooth. I haven't seen any repro's that have the smooth end of the knob.

In addition - Per RGJS the plain type handle/escutcheon (D/E drawings) were used on the Coupes, Tudor, Dlx Delivery and Taxi for 1928/1929 and some 1930 cars (see the table on 12-11). The table is incomplete and does not include the 82-A, 79-A, and 85-A. However, the AA supplement indicates the D/E drawings of plain handle/escutcheon were used for the 82-A and 85-A.

Consequently, the handles shown in dmaxweb post are reproduction.

katy 11-17-2019 10:57 AM

From way back I don't remember the handles having holes for pins and also holes for set screws, they only had the holes for pins.
And they weren't roll pins, just straight pins.