The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Yard sale "A" project (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=237007)

Brad1929 01-11-2018 10:26 PM

Yard sale "A" project

3 Attachment(s)
I found this at a local yard sale recently and I have questions.

This was represented as a 1931 Ford Town Sedan. I think the previous owner had it since the 1980's as a project that never happened. He said he had planned to build it with a steel inner structure as a street rod. At the sale It was all piled on a trailer minus axles, engine and cowl section. I paid $500 for it.

I already have multiple axles, an engine and etc. My biggest concern is the cowl section and building the wood inner structure. I think the Town sedan cowl is a totally different "Animal" than a standard coupe or sedan cowl...is that right ? Could a standard cowl section be modified to work as a replacement ? It seems like it would be very difficult to find a T.S. cowl. I love the stock Model A look, but I don't mind minor mechanical deviations from stock to get a car working and on the road.

Any guidance or advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

P.S. Is it a Murray or a Briggs ?

Railcarmover 01-11-2018 10:52 PM

Re: Yard sale "A" project

I felt sorry I had no shoes,till I saw the man with no feet..

J Franklin 01-11-2018 11:38 PM

It isn't a Murry body. I think wood kits are available.

J Franklin 01-11-2018 11:39 PM

I think you did OK

Dave Mellor NJ 01-12-2018 12:35 AM

You need to find a 4door cowl. The coupe cowl is close but the doors are different,I don't think yours would mount properly. You have a Briggs body and I think either a murray or briggs 4door cowl would work

canadian 01-12-2018 06:26 AM

Hey Brad , I paid $1500 here in Canada for a Fordor 29 Murray , complete but completely shot. check out my picture Album and see what I did to mine. wood in these beasts is expensive.

Jwilli 01-12-2018 09:47 AM

Brad, what you have is a Briggs body. The clue is the door windows are straight at the top. The Murray has a slight curve. My understanding is that the difference in a standard fordor sedan and a Town sedan is the level of trim inside. The town sedan has upscale interior.

1930artdeco 01-12-2018 10:02 AM

Hi Brad,

The issue you will have is finding the right cowl section. You have either a early 30 body or early 31. The late 30 had a slightly different set of front fenders and splash aprons. If you have a lot of wood in the body the kits are available but that will indicate that it is not a slant window late 31.

Mike

Bob C 01-12-2018 11:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
$2300 worth of wood and you'll be good to go.:eek::D
Forgot about subrails and doors $2880.

Bob

slammin 01-12-2018 11:55 AM

Brad, Check out http://www.fordwood.com in Utah. They list all the wood needed, but it ain't cheap. For a Briggs 155/165, all the wood including the door with fasteners is $5,410.00, plus shipping. Maybe you can find cheaper.

Brad1929 01-12-2018 12:22 PM

I forgot to post up the serial number from the frame.

*A37903379*

The frame is very nice so the numbers are very legible. The 03 in the middle, between the 379's, are over stamped...3 over 0 or vice versa...what is that about ?

burner31 01-12-2018 12:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
just some info

Brad1929 01-12-2018 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadian (Post 1578051)
Hey Brad , I paid $1500 here in Canada for a Fordor 29 Murray , complete but completely shot. check out my picture Album and see what I did to mine. wood in these beasts is expensive.

How do I access this "Album" ?

Bob C 01-12-2018 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad1929 (Post 1578204)
How do I access this "Album" ?

See the link https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/album.php?albumid=4633

Jwilli 01-12-2018 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad1929 (Post 1578190)
I forgot to post up the serial number from the frame.

*A37903379*

The frame is very nice so the numbers are very legible. The 03 in the middle, between the 379's, are over stamped...3 over 0 or vice versa...what is that about ?

August 1930

ronn 01-12-2018 02:01 PM

you will be upside down on this quick. make sure you want to go forward, before you do.

sorry to sound discouraging, but I always look for the path of least resistance.

mike657894 01-12-2018 02:07 PM

Is that a drop top dodge truck back there? picture please! I would say get a table saw some other wood working tools and cut down a good tree. thats a solid starter kit. I like it and that dodge gives me faith that you are the guy to pull it off!

How far ar you willing to go for a cowl. I have seen them come up. if you got everyone looking for one they will surface.

briggs. the number has an extra digit. the over stamp is probably a tired worker making a mistake.

I took a look around a nationwide craiglist searcher found 3 29 cowls. you should put up a want add on the swap meet page of the barn and on craigslists around your area. some of the best deals come from people who dont want to deal with listing something

i dont know how different the cowls are in 30 and 31 I have a briggs but have never inspected a different model in respect to the cowls.

henry's 31 01-12-2018 02:16 PM

Sounds like a great project. The way I look at it you can take your time with the restoration. Purchase items as you can. The pleasure is in the adventure, gathering parts, meeting new people, fellowship with others and the pride when you finish. I am currently restoring a 1930 Station Wagon. Started with a chassis. Do not get discouraged, The adventure continues...

cpf240 01-12-2018 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burner31 (Post 1578191)
just some info

Is there a larger version of this picture somewhere?

kimlinh 01-12-2018 07:25 PM

Find a cowl before you invest any money into the restoration of this body. You may be able to get a complete body easier than a cowl for a Briggs sedan. You don't want to start a project you can't finish.

Ed 01-13-2018 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronn (Post 1578240)
you will be upside down on this quick. make sure you want to go forward, before you do.

sorry to sound discouraging, but I always look for the path of least resistance.

I completely agree !

You have at least $500.00 in parts in the doors, rear fenders, hood, radiator shell, and frame. Before spending a lot of money on parts for this project, you may want to consult with Brent Terry Restorations about assembling and fitting the wood kits that will be required to restore this. Brent has installed many wood components for Model A’s. He would be a great person to provide a little insight into the details of restoring this car.

While anything can be restored, I personally would never start a restoration on a project like this. Many parts are missing besides the cowl. Door garnish moldings, front seat frame, seat springs, door hinges, door latches and handles, visor, running boards,running board aprons, and headlights, just to name a few. The cost of missing parts along with the cost of the wood kits, Upholstery, top material, glass, and restoration of drive train components will far exceed the value of the completed vehicle.

I am also not trying to discourage you, but I hope you thoroughly estimate the cost of doing a restoration with this project before you commit to doing this. ( my experience has shown that whatever dollar amount you come up with for your estimate, double it)

juke joint johnny 01-13-2018 05:20 AM

Those rear fenders look like ones that fit Coupe ,Roadster and pickups .
You might be able to trade them for parts you need

pooch 01-13-2018 05:44 AM

Best as garden art.

CT Jack 01-13-2018 08:29 AM

Brad, Henri's 31 says it best "Sounds like a great project. The way I look at it you can take your time with the restoration. Purchase items as you can. The pleasure is in the adventure, gathering parts, meeting new people, fellowship with others and the pride when you finish."
Locating a cowl should not be a problem as it is not TS specific. A 30 or 31 cowl will work and be correct. Good success with your TS and keep asking questions that's part of the fun.

figment 01-13-2018 09:08 AM

If you decide to tackle this project be sure to take a lot of photos of your progress over the next few years . If you are going to build it back to original I think it would be easier than what some of the Hot Rod folks start with . I did a early 1930 Briggs 4 door that started in 1978 but it was missing all the roof wood , no hood , no fenders , no seat springs , no upholstery Ect . The car turned out to be excellent . Sorry that I had to sell it as I had 2 kids in college and 2 more to go . I was a lot younger then and I finished it in a little over 2 1/2 years . Norm

Sunnybrook Farm 01-13-2018 10:17 AM

It would make a good 5 window pickup cab with some modifications.

Brad1929 01-14-2018 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pooch (Post 1578515)
Best as garden art.

Ouch ! ...but I think it already has been "Garden Art" for awhile.:)

Brad1929 01-14-2018 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed (Post 1578467)
I completely agree !

You have at least $500.00 in parts in the doors, rear fenders, hood, radiator shell, and frame. Before spending a lot of money on parts for this project, you may want to consult with Brent Terry Restorations about assembling and fitting the wood kits that will be required to restore this. Brent has installed many wood components for Model A’s. He would be a great person to provide a little insight into the details of restoring this car.

While anything can be restored, I personally would never start a restoration on a project like this. Many parts are missing besides the cowl. Door garnish moldings, front seat frame, seat springs, door hinges, door latches and handles, visor, running boards,running board aprons, and headlights, just to name a few. The cost of missing parts along with the cost of the wood kits, Upholstery, top material, glass, and restoration of drive train components will far exceed the value of the completed vehicle.

I am also not trying to discourage you, but I hope you thoroughly estimate the cost of doing a restoration with this project before you commit to doing this. ( my experience has shown that whatever dollar amount you come up with for your estimate, double it)

I see how a restoration would cost more than the finished project would be worth.

There is a decent looking 4 door near me that has been looking for a new owner for a long time now...I'd have less money in it and be driving sooner.

:confused:

Y-Blockhead 01-14-2018 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpf240 (Post 1578253)
Is there a larger version of this picture somewhere?

A lot of people don't care for MAC's but their online catalog has more good info than most Vendors if you know where to look.

https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_m...model-a-specs/

slammin 01-15-2018 12:47 AM

Brad, I think you will find that a restored car can be purchased for thousands less than the seller has in it. I bought my 29 for less than half the total of receipts the seller gave me for the work done. Granted, I will probably have another 4K in before its finished to my satisfaction, but I'll be thousands ahead. Even with my limited time to work on it, I should be able to complete it in 8 or 9 months. It was driveable when I picked it up, with all the body and paint work finished, and the mechanicals rebuilt. The biggest part of the project is finishing the interior.

ronn 01-15-2018 09:22 AM

I would sell what you have at a profit and put that money to a good car.

Ed 01-15-2018 10:18 AM

Berts in Colorado has an early 1930 Murray on there website for $6000.00. It is complete! Runs and drives, and you would still have a lot of fun doing a restoration while still being able to use the car.
www.modelastore.com

WHN 01-15-2018 10:41 AM

I have been reading all the posts on this for the last few days.

I think you are asking for members ideas on your purchase. There have been a lot of great comments so far.

My take away from all the reply’s is that unless you see this as a labor of love or just want to show yourself and the rest of us that you can do it. It probably would not be a good idea to move forward with restoration in mind.

There comes a time when antiques just become to far gone or not complete enough to restore. Houses, furniture, cars, whatever.

This body might be a good candidate to become a street rod.

My advice. Take what ever money you were going to spend on this body. Buy a complete car that is in need of work. Than do your thing. Enjoy.

100IH 01-15-2018 12:16 PM

Best scenario: complete car with much or most of the work done. Second scenario: mostly complete, need to replace or restore most components. Third scenario: a car from scenario 2 with an identical parts car for $500. As you go through the process you often have the luxury of choosing the best component to invest time and money. Scenario 4: Basket case ( basket 1/4 full) need to find the rest.

Purdy Swoft 01-15-2018 05:22 PM

The Fordor at Berts would be your best bet in my opinion. You could probably sell some of the 500 dollar parts collection that you have . I agree with Juke joint Johnny , those rear fenders are coupe , roadster and pickup fenders . If the fenders and frame are in good shape you could maybe recover most of your money there . The front fenders also look pretty good . Lots of possibilities . Good luck .

Brad1929 01-15-2018 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft (Post 1579741)
.... I agree with Juke joint Johnny , those rear fenders are coupe , roadster and pickup fenders .... .

So, the rear fenders I have fit the coupe, roadster, pickup AND 4 door ? ...or do they not go with the parts I have... that is, they don't fit the "car" I have ?

How about the front fenders...are they unique to the 4 door or are they interchangeable with some of the other model A body styles ? I don't have skirts and running boards...are they unique to the 4 door also ?:confused:

Purdy Swoft 01-15-2018 10:14 PM

The rear fenders that fit the coupe, roadster and pick up are wider than the fenders that fit the sedans .The rear fenders in your picture don't appear to be correct for the fordor. The front fenders appear correct for the 31 cars including the fordor. The splash aprons and running boards are the same for all the 31 cars .

Don Turley 01-15-2018 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft (Post 1579879)
The rear fenders in your picture don't appear to be correct for the fordor.

In the side view of the car, the rear fenders in the photos have the inner skirt that is typical on sedan fenders, but not on coupe fenders. The way that the rear fenders are leaning against the body, it is difficult to see the width of the top of the fenders. The photo from the rear of the body gives a misleading image of the fenders, making them look wider, like a coupe fender. With a better photo of the rear fenders, away from the body, I expect that we would see that they are sedan fenders. I can't imagine why anyone would attach the inner skirt to a coupe fender, except for a modified car, such as a speedster.

Brad1929 01-15-2018 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft (Post 1579879)
The rear fenders that fit the coupe, roadster and pick up are wider than the fenders that fit the sedans .The rear fenders in your picture don't appear to be correct for the fordor. The front fenders appear correct for the 31 cars including the fordor. The splash aprons and running boards are the same for all the 31 cars .

OK. Thanks, that helps clarify the situation. So, now I have to decide where to go from here. Thanks to everyone for all the info and comments so far. You guys know your stuff and most of you(;)ha!) seem very helpful. Model A's are awesome and the Ford Barn forum is too ! :)

1930-Pickup 01-15-2018 11:31 PM

Hey Brad- You seem like one of the good guys. Whatever you do or end up with, I wish you all the best and lots of fun...and of course, hope to see you on the road soon.