The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Staying warm in winter (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258984)

Paul Bjarnason 02-09-2019 09:25 PM

Staying warm in winter

I want to drive in the winter without being uncomfortable. I don't want to cut a hole in the firewall of my '29 Tudor and I don't want to clutter up my passenger compartment with a little heater box. So, what to do?! For years I rode a motorcycle in the winter (Washington DC area) and had a heated vest and hand grips. My last VW had heated seats, which I loved. Has anyone put aftermarket heating pads under the upholstry of their Model A -- or tried a heated motorcycle vest? I am going 12 volt with a 60 amp alternator, so I think my system could handle a vest or heated seats. Thoughts and experience would be appreciated. Thanks.

coatings03 02-09-2019 09:51 PM

Re: Staying warm in winter

Yes,
Heated seats work well in a 12 volt system. I have a 29 open top speedster. I put March je moisture resistant seat heater. Works great, has a high low switch and middle position is off.

Jim m,
Seal beach. Ca

30 Closed Cab PU 02-09-2019 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coatings03 (Post 1725280)
Yes,
Heated seats work well in a 12 volt system. I have a 29 open top speedster. I put March je moisture resistant seat heater. Works great, has a high low switch and middle position is off.

Jim m,
Seal beach. Ca

Any idea about what the current draw is?

BILL WILLIAMSON 02-09-2019 10:35 PM

Move to a warmer climate!!
Bill Comfy

Charlie Stephens 02-10-2019 12:02 AM

Remember if you make the alternator belt tight enough to put out 60 amps you will wear out the front bearing of the water pump. How many amps does the electric heater draw? I would use an era correct hot water heater and put the holes in the floorboard. Of course in Southern California I don't have a problem (by the way, where in general do you live?).

Charlie Stephens

40 Deluxe 02-10-2019 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON (Post 1725294)
Move to a warmer climate!!
Bill Comfy

If we did that, you'd complain about all the traffic! :)

Dodge 02-10-2019 01:38 AM

Eat more beans, I agree with the hot water heater. I have a period correct one in the rear floor
Of my Tudor Sedan works great. No fan it just radiates.
I do want to try the heated seats in my Roadster though.

burner31 02-10-2019 03:55 AM

7 Attachment(s)
Original equipment is the only way to go...

tinman080 02-10-2019 06:41 AM

Mother!!!! No!!! IT CAN'T BE!!!!

Paul Bjarnason 02-10-2019 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens (Post 1725312)
Remember if you make the alternator belt tight enough to put out 60 amps you will wear out the front bearing of the water pump. How many amps does the electric heater draw? I would use an era correct hot water heater and put the holes in the floorboard. Of course in Southern California I don't have a problem (by the way, where in general do you live?).

Charlie Stephens

Seems like 10 amps for two seats on the high setting. But, additional wear on the water pump bearing is a good point, Charlie. I live in the Washington DC area (Northern Virginia). Here's what WATERCARBON brand seats say: Water Carbon each seat includes two pads - One for the Seat Back and One for the Seat Bottom. Two Kits are included to Accommodate two seats. Each Heater Has Three Settings - High, Low and Off. Dual Temperature Control System. Electronic thermostat (built into each pad) regulates the electricity / temperature circulating within the carbon fiber seat heating pad. This system regulates the flow of power and maintains a narrower temperature range whether in a high or low setting. Example: The high setting will have a constant range between 120°F to 125°F. The low setting ranges between 110°F to 115°F. These respective temperatures are maintained at these respective levels. Backrest & Seat Bottom Heating Pads -- 11" x 17.5" Pads are approximately 1/32" thick. Either pad can be installed in back or bottom. Length can be trimmed to any size. Electrical Specs Wattage: 24-36 Watts per Pad, 48-60 Watts per seat Current Draw: 3 Amps on Low Heat Setting and 5 Amps on High Setting per Seat. It is a 12 V system. If you have always wanted to add factory like heated seats to your Vehicle or Boat, then this Heated Seat kit is the ideal kit and the ideal solution whether you own a car, SUV, Truck, Boat or Plane. Carbon Fiber technology is the best seat heating pad material in the marketplace. Installation may require removal and re-installation of seat and seat covers, as well as basic knowledge of the vehicle's wiring or professional installation.

https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Unive...YDYE2K9THTR18S

Chuck Dempsey 02-10-2019 09:09 AM

Paul, check out this thread from a few years ago on heaters that DON'T require firewall holes. Floorboard vents are used instead.

BILL WILLIAMSON 02-10-2019 09:28 AM

[B]In the OLD Surplus Stores, I'd buy electrically heated Flight Suits & matching hats for my Roadster. They were 24 Volts & the plugs were cut off, to a nub! For rain, I cut two head holes, in a Surplus, heavy tarp.
Bill Dryandwarm/B]

Paul Bjarnason 02-10-2019 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Dempsey (Post 1725355)
Paul, check out this thread from a few years ago on heaters that DON'T require firewall holes. Floorboard vents are used instead.

Chuck - What thread is that? Got a link? Thanks. Bj

jb-ob 02-10-2019 09:41 AM

'Era Correct' would have been a 1/5th under the seat......

jw hash 02-10-2019 10:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
on my 160A four door, I to did not want to cut a hole in the firewall. so I found this heater manifold. it goes through the wood part of the floor and it keeps the inside nice and toasty, I can feel the hot air blowing in my face.

gary678* 02-10-2019 10:41 AM

Wire in a 12 volt receptacle in an inconspicuous spot in the cab and plug in electric blanket(s) to sit on as needed. Simple installation, very low cost, and electric blanket(s) can be stored out of car until needed.

rfitzpatrick 02-10-2019 10:53 AM

Is that what's called a Running-Board Heater? Number 6 from the top

Aretino 02-10-2019 11:07 AM

Johnnie hand warmer. Had one in both coat pockets while delivering newspapers in Waterloo

Chuck Dempsey 02-10-2019 11:07 AM

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...orboard+heater
Sorry, forget the link. Thanks for the remind.....

Brendan 02-10-2019 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burner31 (Post 1725331)
Original equipment is the only way to go...

who is the woman in the second photo, she can keep me warm