The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   so this just happened.... (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=254968)

Beater 11-18-2018 07:56 PM

so this just happened....

my happy little speedster isn't happy, and isn't speedstering very good at the moment. kids managed to blow apart the transmition. and I meen blow apart the transmition gears on the ground, bottom of the case laying on the ground. so another winter project. got another trans from a friend and it looks ok under first inspection. my question is, what is there to do, what should I be doing to modernize it up like better seals and stuff before I put the next one in? if anything.

michael a 11-18-2018 08:47 PM

Re: so this just happened....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beater (Post 1697494)
my happy little speedster isn't happy, and isn't speedstering very good at the moment. kids managed to blow apart the transmition. and I meen blow apart the transmition gears on the ground, bottom of the case laying on the ground. so another winter project. got another trans from a friend and it looks ok under first inspection. my question is, what is there to do, what should I be doing to modernize it up like better seals and stuff before I put the next one in? if anything.

Make kids help you fix it

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

GRutter 11-18-2018 08:54 PM

Just put it together and enjoy. Wouldn't worry so much about 'modernizing' it.
Check idler gears, bearings. Check wear on gear shift ball-end so that it properly fits the forks. While it's apart check the universal. If it's an original riveted style I'd replace it. Good opportunity to inspect / replace clutch throwout bearing.

Synchro909 11-18-2018 09:25 PM

Vendors have a device that bolts onto the front of the coghouse to stop the notorious oil leak (or at least slow it). I think the jigger is made by Mitchell and is an easy fit. You might consider putting that on but otherwise, I'd go with what has already been said. You guys over there, should be able to get a decent gearbox easily enough.

Beater 11-18-2018 09:55 PM

yea this is what I was thinking about modern fixes to stop some of the leaks. ohhhh yea he gona help fix it. part of the program

burner31 11-18-2018 10:11 PM

We want to hear the story of "How the kids blew up a transmission".

updraught 11-18-2018 10:11 PM

With a lack of weight on the rear wheels, and being driven on dirt? the lack of grip on those tyres mean its hard to pull the skin off a rice custard.

Plenty of A's have been driven hard by kids without the guts dropping out of the gearbox. I'd look for other causes.

xmarine 11-18-2018 10:34 PM

just finished my tranny todayMaybe put it in tommorrow

Beater 11-18-2018 11:20 PM

they were on hard packed dirt gravel road I drove it 15 min before they did with no problems. I think from the looks of it he dumped the clutch and boom. look for other causes have no idea what would cause that except kids being kids.

whirnot 11-18-2018 11:28 PM

If I were in your shoes, as well as checking the Gears bearings etc, I would install the transmission shaft seal kit at the rear and the Mitchell real deal oil seal at the front. This keeps the shafts and shifter from leaking front and rear. I imagine most dealers have both, I know Berts does. If you have to take the transmission apart, install shafts that have O rings, not that expensive.

Y-Blockhead 11-19-2018 12:09 AM

I used these Shift Rail Plugs from Mike's http://www.mikes-afordable.com/product/A7202.html Worked good and a whole lot cheaper than the Mitchell piece http://www.mikes-afordable.com/product/A7112S.html

Needs to be installed while the trans/bell housing is out tho compared to the Mitchell seal which can be installed while trans is in the car.

Beater 11-19-2018 12:26 AM

yes I was thinking about the shaft seals will do that I think hopefully this one doesn't have to come apart. I pulled the tower and had a look, no teeth missing or anything. had clean oil in it and gears were shinny turned nice n smooth by hand so think its gona be fine

Bill G 11-19-2018 12:41 AM

Trannies in the model A are harder to get to than they are to work on.

Synchro909 11-19-2018 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beater (Post 1697553)
they were on hard packed dirt gravel road I drove it 15 min before they did with no problems. I think from the looks of it he dumped the clutch and boom. look for other causes have no idea what would cause that except kids being kids.

I think that if this is written off as simply kids being kids with no consequences, they will not learn that actions have consequences. They're your kids to deal with as you see fit but if they were mine, helping to fix it would be the minimum. By help, I include the $ involved. I'd hit 'em where it hurts! Bet they won't destroy a gearbox ever again!

updraught 11-19-2018 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beater (Post 1697553)

Check for seized cluster bearings, bits broken off gears that have jammed in the other gears, shift leaver ball worn that caused odd shifting.

Big forces involved there to cause that.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...3880&showall=1

I would say a broken diff is more likely from dumping the clutch.

Osage Orange 11-19-2018 10:41 AM

My attempt to hole-shot a corvair at a traffic light cost me the cluster and first gears, so yeah, dumping the clutch can and did damage the tranny, but it didn't break the case in my '29 coupe. Make sure you put in new pins in the forks.

Beater 11-19-2018 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synchro909 (Post 1697594)
I think that if this is written off as simply kids being kids with no consequences, they will not learn that actions have consequences. They're your kids to deal with as you see fit but if they were mine, helping to fix it would be the minimum. By help, I include the $ involved. I'd hit 'em where it hurts! Bet they won't destroy a gearbox ever again!

who said there wasn't any consequences?

rear axle is fine,like I said I was driving it myself 15 min before and everything was fine.

Synchro909 11-19-2018 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beater (Post 1697745)
who said there wasn't any consequences? No one!

rear axle is fine,like I said I was driving it myself 15 min before and everything was fine.

You might have dodged a bullet on the rear end. I think I'd rather have to replace the gearbox than the diff.

Tom Wesenberg 11-19-2018 05:31 PM

It would be interesting to find out what actions were done to cause the damage.
Was it popping the clutch, poor shifting, or........?

junk yard kid 11-19-2018 06:07 PM

I blew one up and spit everything loose out the bottom. It was clutch dropping power slides in grass. Great fun. It was acting weird and i was reving the motor when something jambed and blew the bottom of case out.

I would think id be happy my kid blew up the tranny. Id be even happier if they just helped fix it and where interested in the broken stuff. Get those tore up gears and build the kid a trophy. Most kids want nothing to do with this stuff. Course i dont mean you should be the pit crew forever. Kid might not of been at fault, it is old stuff.