The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Uncle Max help (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275856)

Robert61 01-24-2020 04:16 PM

Uncle Max help

I posted a thread about our model A street rod build. The owner bought 3 "stromberg 97s". One day I was working on stuff and I see some boxes come in with SpeedMaster on them. I said what did you buy from them. He said my carbs. I told him he should have never done that but he had no idea and we have them so I'm trying to sort them out. I want to run off of the center carb only as far as idle and cruise. The idle bleeds were a little small so I opened them to .021". It idles now but I have the throttle blades open too far. So my next plan is to increase the transition holes so I can control the idle.

I don't have a pcv valve installed yet so I'll get that first and see how it's cleans up the idle. On a I get on the main jets it sounds really good. I know these are Chinese junk but I could use some input.

Terry,OH 01-25-2020 08:20 AM

Re: Uncle Max help

The standard size of the idle air bleed is #70 (.028") for the typical Stromberg 97.

Tim Ayers 01-25-2020 08:59 AM

You are talking about Speedway's Super 97's right?

Robert61 01-25-2020 09:44 AM

They are possibly the same. These are SpeedMaster which was formally ProComp Electronics. As l said it was way too lean so I opened up the bleeds to .021. It doesn't need to be any fatter I don't think. I'm going to add a fixed orifice pcv system today and see how that effects the idle. I'm working slowly as I don't know what this engine wants and I've never touched one of these carbs before.

I have never seen ANYTHING from this company that was any good.

Thanks for the replies anything helps

supereal 01-25-2020 05:10 PM

If you are planning to use a triple carb manifold, be sure to use progressive linkage so only the center throttle opens until the linkage is close to wide open.That way you be be able to start easily, and idle when necessary. Matching the CFM ratings is necessary when considering a non-stock setup.

Robert61 01-26-2020 10:42 AM

I installed a fixed orifice pcv fitting, .062 draw by each bank. It doesn't have any effect open or capped off so I think that is pretty good. I opened up the idle bleed as mentioned to .021. It is idling good now but seems to still be lean and takes too long to warm up to reach where it will idle good. I would like to know if anyone cares to offer what size the air bleed hole should be. This is a 3X2 setup but I'm only working off of the center carb for now. I do have the progressive linkage but for now it's not hooked to the center carb. I have it fixed where it's holding the end carbs closed. They are tapped off with no fuel going to them.

uncle buck 01-28-2020 10:00 AM

What does Uncle Max have to do with Speedmaster 97 , doesn't he deal in actual "Stromberg" stuff ? Are they the same company?

Robert61 01-28-2020 05:22 PM

Do you feel better now?

uncle max 01-28-2020 05:57 PM

[QUOTE=uncle buck;1846053]What does Uncle Max have to do with Speedmaster 97 , doesn't he deal in actual "Stromberg" stuff ? Are they the same company?
Actually glad to help, but in this case I know nothing about Speedmaster 97's.

Robert61 01-28-2020 07:00 PM

I don't expect much more from this forum. On others if someone needs help I help no matter what their issue or brand of their parts or car. Ive helped others with their holleys that I am more familiar with, numerous times with engine questions. I wasn't asking for secret info or for someone to do something for nothing. With that said I've just banned myself from this site. Adios

tubman 01-28-2020 08:32 PM

There is obviously something going on here that us "normal people" don't know about.:confused:

scicala 01-29-2020 11:05 AM

I I I

Sal

tubman 01-29-2020 11:42 AM

OK I get it. It doesn't help that someone deleted or changed a post since I made my comment.

uncle buck 01-29-2020 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubman (Post 1846403)
OK I get it. It doesn't help that someone deleted or changed a post since I made my comment.

I was simply asking what the tie with Uncle Max was. I am under the impression he deals in genuine Stromberg stuff , not the knock offs? The title makes it sound like he possibly sold the pro comp junk and is somehow responsible? He responded with a similar comment questioning , and not negative in my mind. The change by Uncle Max was from questioning also to offering input but apparently my question offended the original poster....

Charlie ny 01-29-2020 02:41 PM

Robert ,are these carbs the Speedway 9super7's or another off brand ? Upon request
I've exposed myself to Speedway's 97's , I think Sal has as well. I have substituted
a rebuilt genuine 97 in the center position to accomplish what you are in the middle of.
The early S'way 97's were poor copies but I guess those offered today are much

better functioning carbs. If you are working with the early ones I'd use the S'way's for # 1 & #3 with no idle circuits and run a genuine Stromberg in #2 spot. Stay with us brother we really do have greasey hands and dirty fingernails.
Charlie ny
[email protected]

V8COOPMAN 01-29-2020 02:58 PM

Although the OP was extremely unclear about it other than the less-than-informative title, I think he was actually asking Uncle M for some help based on the fact that Max is without doubt THE preeminent 97 guy, even though the majority of us realize that Uncle Max shows no soft spot for (nor any desire to work on) any of the "knock-off" 97 garbage being kicked-around out there today. Most of us know that Max's expertise is in the original, smelly 97s as well as the ingenious English versions now available. DD

scicala 01-29-2020 06:43 PM

https://speedmaster79.com/Stromberg-...r-Manual-Choke

This is what I found when I searched Speedmaster 97 carburetor. Looks like maybe made in Australia ??

Sal

Charlie ny 01-29-2020 07:31 PM

Sal,
That carb bears an extremely close resemblance to the S'way 9super7...esp
the flat stock side linkage. The phillips head screws are a nice touch.
Charlie ny

uncle max 01-29-2020 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie ny (Post 1846584)
Sal,
That carb bears an extremely close resemblance to the S'way 9super7...esp
the flat stock side linkage. The phillips head screws are a nice touch.
Charlie ny

And, alloy bases can spell trouble when the throttleplates start digging into the soft aluminum!

35fordtn 01-29-2020 08:03 PM

I just don't get it.. Strombergs are not all that hard to find and can be bought reasonably priced used.

. For not much more $$ a person can buy a original and have uncle max work his magic on them. He has done several for me, and they look brand new when done with all the bits and pieces replated.