The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Pulling rear main cap with counter weighted crank (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=206501)

Logan 10-08-2016 09:31 AM

Pulling rear main cap with counter weighted crank

Has anyone had any luck being able to pull a rear main cap with a counter weighted crank, in the car? I've heard it's possible, and I've heard it can't be done. I'm resealing a rear cap on an inserted motor, and if I don't have to pull the motor, that would be fantastic.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 10-08-2016 11:00 AM

Re: Pulling rear main cap with counter weighted crank

Logan, unfortunately the flywheel housing is in the way as you have likely figured out. This was the major reason why Ford made the design change for the Model-B flywheel housing. I had one car several years ago come thru where the flywheel housing was cut in the inspection plate area. I feel certain I have a picture of it but I cannot seem to find it at the moment. As I recall, it wasn't cut much and a piece of sheetmetal was added to the inspection plate to cover the larger hole.

Kurt in NJ 10-08-2016 11:02 AM

I have seen a lot of different sizes of counterweights--you will probably have to try and see---

Benson 10-08-2016 12:14 PM

Additional note: This info might not help as it involves a B engine ...

When I built the full pressure B block in 1976 I cut a "V" notch in the Model A Flywheel housing per instructions from Bill Kenz.

This engine had a factory "C" crank and the bearing cap was removable IF the crank was turned to a certain position.

I never tried it with a "BB" crank with the pinned on counter weights.

Like stated above there are so many counter weight sized weights that you would have to try it and see how big the V Notch has to be and if it is removable with your crank.

As I remember one of the problems was that the B rear main bolts, being longer, would not go up far enough to get the cap out in addition to the larger size of the cap itself and getting the cap removed.

CarlG 10-08-2016 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan (Post 1366514)
Has anyone had any luck being able to pull a rear main cap with a counter weighted crank, in the car? I've heard it's possible, and I've heard it can't be done. I'm resealing a rear cap on an inserted motor, and if I don't have to pull the motor, that would be fantastic.

Logan, have you asked Ron Kelley?

jw hash 10-09-2016 08:17 AM

Logan
did I miss something here. if you are talking an A engine with a counter weighted crank yes you can remove the rear main cap. if you are talking a B engine than you go to what Brent had to say.

machineman64 10-09-2016 10:33 AM

the rear main cap can be removed on a counter weighted crank as I have done it, it is a very close fit and you will have to fiddle around finding the right position, however different counter weights from mine may make it impossible.

Logan 10-09-2016 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlG (Post 1366780)
Logan, have you asked Ron Kelley?

No, this isn't one of his motors. The crank was originally weighted and balanced by john in Albuquerque, NM. The only ,real problem I see with trying to get it in and out in the space allotted, besides the fact that it may not come out, is the thrust washers slipping out of place or falling into the bell housing when moving it around.