The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Powder coating (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=231063)

vern hodgson 10-11-2017 07:12 PM

Powder coating
 

How can you determine if wheels are powder coated or painted?

denniskliesen 10-12-2017 01:03 AM

Re: Powder coating
 

Powder coat chips and fades or loses it's shine easier then enamel or some of the other coatings.

SeaSlugs 10-12-2017 08:00 AM

Re: Powder coating
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by denniskliesen (Post 1538369)
Powder coat chips and fades or loses it's shine easier then enamel or some of the other coatings.

yea if theres a chip in it anywhere you can look close at the edge of the chip - if it looks like a candy shell over powder its powder coat. Usually powder coat appears thick looking especially around hard bends (like spoke to rim area) and can tell alot of times by just feel - has that kinda plasticy feel and the object temperature doesnt exactly match what the metal temp should be - hard to explain but it like touching a plastic garbage can in the winter vs a metal one - both cold both same temperature the metal one just feels colder.

Paint wise look closely as with all the spokes its bound to have a thin spot or overspray spot.

Oldbluoval 10-12-2017 09:19 AM

Re: Powder coating
 

Inside the rim, I think you can take a wetted rag with a bit of lacquer thinner and lightly rub. Enamel, etc will be effected by the thinner and color will show on rag but powder coat will not. This is a quick litmus test and thinner should not be on either very long. And if the tires are on the wheel you may need to go inside the hub or forget it.

At least the powder coat I have been exposed to (not much as I don't care for it) has worked this way. I will accept corrections!

Tom Wesenberg 10-12-2017 10:44 PM

Re: Powder coating
 

I had my lower water pipe powder coated inside and out, thinking it would give the pipe permanent protection. In ho time at all the antifreeze removed all the powdercoat from the inside, and sent it in strips to the top of the radiator.

I also don't care for powder coating.

vern hodgson 10-13-2017 01:45 AM

Re: Powder coating
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 1538746)
I had my lower water pipe powder coated inside and out, thinking it would give the pipe permanent protection. In ho time at all the antifreeze removed all the powdercoat from the inside, and sent it in strips to the top of the radiator.

I also don't care for powder coating.

Interesting, I thought powder coating was bomb proof.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 10-13-2017 06:07 AM

Re: Powder coating
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by vern hodgson (Post 1538767)
Interesting, I thought powder coating was bomb proof.

As with anything, it was 'bomb-proof' until competition began. Then cheaper materials were introduced and corners were cut during the application process in an effort to make it cheaper. In our hobby, I don't see a value when you compare each aspect of it to sprayed urethane.

eystein 10-13-2017 07:01 AM

Re: Powder coating
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C (Post 1538779)
As with anything, it was 'bomb-proof' until competition began. Then cheaper materials were introduced and corners were cut during the application process in an effort to make it cheaper. In our hobby, I don't see a value when you compare each aspect of it to sprayed urethane.

Brent,

A question about terminology here, as the term urethane is not used over here. What is urethane ? For my understanding, can you name a couple of well known brand names for urethane paint ?

I am using DuPont Centari 500. Is that urethane or is it classified as something else ?

SeaSlugs 10-13-2017 07:47 AM

Re: Powder coating
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by vern hodgson (Post 1538767)
Interesting, I thought powder coating was bomb proof.

one rock chip and its over, that spec gets wet starts to rust and since its powder underneath the candy shell it holds water and rusts/corrodes underneath the pretty part. Its pretty much plastic powder that is baked onto the part and not actually bonded to the part. Once you get one chip the only fix is to remove all powder coat and redo the part.

vern hodgson 10-14-2017 04:01 AM

Re: Powder coating
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C (Post 1538779)
As with anything, it was 'bomb-proof' until competition began. Then cheaper materials were introduced and corners were cut during the application process in an effort to make it cheaper. In our hobby, I don't see a value when you compare each aspect of it to sprayed urethane.

That is too bad, I recall a customer years ago pounding two pipes together to show me the durability of powder coating.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 10-14-2017 06:17 AM

Re: Powder coating
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by vern hodgson (Post 1539170)
That is too bad, I recall a customer years ago pounding two pipes together to show me the durability of powder coating.

In reality, I can do the same thing with a thin coat of single-stage urethane sprayed over a thin coat of epoxy primer.

updraught 10-15-2017 12:18 AM

Re: Powder coating
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by eystein (Post 1538792)
Brent,

A question about terminology here, as the term urethane is not used over here. What is urethane ? For my understanding, can you name a couple of well known brand names for urethane paint ?

I am using DuPont Centari 500. Is that urethane or is it classified as something else ?

A bit confusing all this paint stuff, here is some reading material.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages...tml?1259713203

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/189930-centari-paint/

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hc...e/1538643.html


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.