The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Model A Radio (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=230988)

29spcoupe 10-10-2017 06:17 PM

Model A Radio

I bought a radio in Hershey for my coupe. It is being converted to AM-FM. Just wondering if anyone else has a radio in their cars, if so, what kind of antenna did you use and where did you mount it. Pictures? John

duke36 10-10-2017 07:07 PM

Re: Model A Radio

Have 12volt small am/ fm mounted under dash, not model A, but 6 volt '30's car with 1 wire alternator conversion.. Installed a voltage step up convertor from 6 to 12 volt under dash connected to ignition switch and inside- windshield- mounted stick on antenna with wire run down to radio concealed behind trim and upholstery. The antenna works only fair for local reception, as we didn't want to drill holes in body, and the convertor has a ground lug on the back which is essential to be wired. Place speaker(s) at cowl panels if desired. Check Amazon for options. Not sure about ignition interference in the A which others may address.

Kurt in NJ 10-10-2017 07:07 PM

The chicken wire in the roof was used

the spare tire/rim/mount was insulated and used

there were antenns that the headliner was dropped and installed above

Wires were stretched under the car

under runningboard antennas

I bought a 1933 radio installation cd on e-bay, it also says to make the ignition rotor gap .005 or less

glenn in camino 10-10-2017 07:43 PM

No, I like to listen to my car, especially the engine.

Bill G 10-10-2017 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 29spcoupe (Post 1537768)
I bought a radio in Hershey for my coupe. It is being converted to AM-FM. Just wondering if anyone else has a radio in their cars, if so, what kind of antenna did you use and where did you mount it. Pictures? John

I have heard about the chicken wire in the roof, but it would have to be insulated from metal grounding points of the roof supports, otherwise you would not get any signal pick-up. If you already have a headliner, that might be an issue, but it would be hidden and out of sight.

You could also use a CB whip antenna clamp-mounted on the rear bumper if you don't mind it being visible. A clamp mount can be easily removed. That would pick up both AM and FM on just about any radio with no problem.

29spcoupe 10-10-2017 08:23 PM

Thanks, guys, I seem to have some good choices. When I get the radio, I'll let you know how I made out. Might take a couple of months to get the radio. John

Tom Wesenberg 10-10-2017 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenn in camino (Post 1537814)
No, I like to listen to my car, especially the engine.

I agree. :)
I haven't even turned on the radio in my modern car for the past 3 years, as there is nothing worth listening to. It's amazing how much more you concentrate on driving by even a simple thing like not listening to the radio, let alone those fools that like to text, eat, and put on makeup while driving.:mad:

BTW, I wouldn't mess up a nice antique radio, but if you need to listen to music, I'd buy one of the modern things that can store thousands of songs.

Anteek29 10-10-2017 09:09 PM

Why not just bring along a portable transistor radio??

Synchro909 10-10-2017 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anteek29 (Post 1537858)
Why not just bring along a portable transistor radio??

Transistor Radio?? I remember those! These days, I'd use a Bluetooth speaker and listen to music stored on my phone.

29spcoupe 10-10-2017 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synchro909 (Post 1537865)
Transistor Radio?? I remember those! These days, I'd use a Bluetooth speaker and listen to music stored on my phone.

I have a flip-phone. My phone doesn't do anything but talk.

Bruce Adams 10-10-2017 10:20 PM

I listen to AM ball games on my hand held transistor radio that works OK and perfectly if I hold it above my windshield header. (I am fifty miles from the transmitter) For music I have Bluetooth which I also use at car shows through a 1930 radio sitting in front of the car.

burner31 10-10-2017 11:17 PM

Just installed a Bluetooth speaker, it's Square, I attach it with velcro it runs off of my cell phone.
It goes next to my rearview mirror I can take it in and out as I please, and it cost me under $20.
I won't use it very often but it's nice on those long trips.

Kevin in NJ 10-11-2017 05:35 AM

Too many small simple quality music devices and speakers. None need to be mounted.

Then there is JS correct (you are allowed a couple of accessories). Like a Griggby Grunow Model 110 that was available in 1931. You only need 2 holes in the floor. One for the radio and the other for the batteries. A huge speaker and a control head on the column. Of course only AM. :)

Jacksonlll 10-11-2017 08:18 AM

Hey Duke, how do you power your converter from the ignition switch? Two pole switch? The switch is between the coil and points.

Jason in TX 10-11-2017 10:57 AM

Anker soundcore is on sale on Amazon. This is the way to go. put it on the package tray and use your mobile device to play music, or the radio. You can play radio stations from across the country using the application "I heart radio"

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-SoundCo...dp/B016XTADG2/

V4F 10-11-2017 11:15 AM

I tried a lot of different antennas (did not want to drill a hole ) with no luck . not sure what will work , but going to go see another one .........

duke36 10-11-2017 11:21 AM

To answer post 14 ?, our mid '30's 2 pole switch = 1 ignition switch wire to instr. panel light and 1 to ammeter, the center wire to coil. We hooked the (-) input convertor wire to the panel light side and the fused output wire to the radio, the convertor body term. to (+) ground. Also installed a small usb port the same way. "Fancy" technology not available when this was done.
The antenna as posted in #16 is not the best, but the radio has a small tape slot for parade use..

quardt5 10-11-2017 12:14 PM

Could not agree more with the majority. Love to listen to the engine going down the road. The crap on the radio today is not worth having a radio installed. Except for the CUBS.

P.S. 10-12-2017 09:57 AM

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...5&d=1445490774

I use a Zenith A600 Transoceanic radio in the tudor. It runs off of 60 "AA" batteries (B+ supply) and 3 "D" size batteries (tube filament supply). The antenna is called a "Wave Magnet" and mounts to the rear side window with suction cups. It works excellent and is old enough that Model A people don't flinch when they see it.

Luckily, thanks to the new FCC rules allowing AM stations to get FM band translators, there is music on the AM band in my area. I also enjoy listening to conservative talk and news on other AM stations.