The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   MMO non believers (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272187)

Big hammer 11-05-2019 09:39 AM

MMO non believers

The last two tanks of gas was 100% gas, at least what I paid for. The gas shut off valve had been very hard to turn. Last tank I put some MMO in and then let it run for awhile before closing the valve and letting it run dry. This last weekend drive the shut off valve turned free like new! Also the dripping carb stopped dripping gas at idle! I believe the carb float valve was sticking and needed some cleaning and adjustment but now is working great! Just at the end of this driving season :-(

WHN 11-05-2019 10:00 AM

Re: MMO non believers

Wait and see what it will do for noisy valves.

You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink. Enjoy.

alexiskai 11-05-2019 10:17 AM

What proportion or amount are you putting in? I know it's different when you use it in the oil vs in the gas.

WHN 11-05-2019 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexiskai (Post 1817954)
What proportion or amount are you putting in? I know it's different when you use it in the oil vs in the gas.

4 oz. for 10 gallons in gas.

A little more or less seems not to matter.

Aretino 11-05-2019 10:48 AM

Been using MMO for 40 years. Initially used to lubricate my aviation air tools. Since the advent of ethanol laced fuels I find that MMO also helps alleviate the problems with fuel system corrosion. Recently I added MMO to my 2005 4runner with hopes that a false fuel quantity issue might be rectified. After two tank fulls of fuel with MMO (4oz/ 10gal) my fuel tank sensor issues have improved. I feel MMO is a great preventative maintenance additive.

Beater 11-05-2019 10:54 AM

MMO is great stuff I love it. 2 cycle oil will also help out things, but not as good as MMO

harryc 11-05-2019 10:55 AM

I have an unused gallon MMO that's been setting in my garage for at least 35 years. Do you think it's still roadworthy?

30 Closed Cab PU 11-05-2019 11:03 AM

I use it, but only in a couple of tankfuls per year. When I was using it every tankful, experienced increased deposits on my spark plugs. A couple of others have also experienced this.

J Franklin 11-05-2019 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryc (Post 1817969)
I have an unused gallon MMO that's been setting in my garage for at least 35 years. Do you think it's still roadworthy?

If you don't want it I'll use it!

1931 flamingo 11-05-2019 01:01 PM

ATF is an alternative and less expensive. FWIW
Paul in CT

Patrick L. 11-05-2019 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big hammer (Post 1817939)
The last two tanks of gas was 100% gas, at least what I paid for. The gas shut off valve had been very hard to turn. Last tank I put some MMO in and then let it run for awhile before closing the valve and letting it run dry. This last weekend drive the shut off valve turned free like new! Also the dripping carb stopped dripping gas at idle! I believe the carb float valve was sticking and needed some cleaning and adjustment but now is working great! Just at the end of this driving season :-(

:) OK. So a fair test would be to allow the car to go back to its old maladies and then try a different fuel additive and try to then make a comparison. ;)

Just kidding, couldn't resist.

Beater 11-05-2019 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo (Post 1818010)
ATF is an alternative and less expensive. FWIW
Paul in CT

about the only thing ATF has in common with MMO is the color

Werner 11-05-2019 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo (Post 1818010)
ATF is an alternative and less expensive.

I certainly do not think so! Comparisons:

ATF is thicker, contains high pressure additives, contains coefficient of friction enhancer; it is not suitable for engine combustion. (Residues).

MMO contains u. a. petroleum, solubilizers, detergents, dispersants, ester oils, PAO.

Only the red color has these two liquids in common.

oldforder 11-05-2019 01:43 PM

I have been using MMO since I was a teenager (60 years ago) in every vehicle and tractor, and small engine. Except the NEW vehicles. Don't how much good its does, but It sure don't hurt.

Chuck Sea/Tac 11-05-2019 02:11 PM

I’ve told the story before. When my engine was new I had a tick in it. The builder told me to put Marvel mystery oil in the gas. I did, and the tick went away. The next tank I didn’t put it in and the tick came back. I’ve been using it ever since.

M2M 11-05-2019 02:20 PM

MMO's placebo effect is real.

woofa.express 11-05-2019 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M2M (Post 1818052)
MMO's placebo effect is real.

Hi M2m. If it works, great. If it’s placebo effect, well that’s great too. That's called a win win situation.

Dodge 11-05-2019 02:52 PM

And yes on your 35 yr. Old MMO

dumb person 11-05-2019 11:32 PM

Can't get MMO in my country so i use A.T.F. sometimes.
Smells a bit funny but it does cushion the valves nicely & lubes the stems & tap.
Also seems to reduce the piston slap sound by cushioning them against the cylinder walls on their way up.

Laugh if you want but it's all true.

Synchro909 11-06-2019 12:11 AM

I've never seen MMO here either. I use Flashlube which is made buy a f riend of mine. It is a lead replacement compound that lubricates as well. 1 ml in a litre.