The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Floor Board Dimension Drawing (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234684)

JohnB15632 12-05-2017 08:58 AM

Floor Board Dimension Drawing

1 Attachment(s)
At some point, I stumbled across a Floor Board Dimension Drawing.

This drawing provides the dimensions for cutting out the floor board wood, but does not identify items such as,

1. What is the wood?
2. Is the wood sealed on the underside?
3. What are the two pieces that are underneath the wood?

Has anyone made the wood floor board using this drawing?

Thanks,

jrelliott 12-05-2017 09:25 AM

Re: Floor Board Dimension Drawing

1. The wood was available hardwood, ash, and oak. The ones I removed from my '28 were of ash it seems. They were pieced together by tounge and grove joints to get the full width required.

2. I think the wood was sealed by diluted asphaltum which is black with a brown cast. I used flat black paint on both sides.

3. The two pieces underneath are two metal braces. They are about 3/16" thick by 1".
They were originally riveted to the wood. I tapped the holes in the metal bars and put
flat headed metal screws which I cut flat against the metal on the bottom after installing. I countersunk the holes in the wood so the heads of the screws would be flush. Put a little locktite on the screws so they will not come loose later on.

I was fortunate enough to have had the originals to work with so drew them onto a piece of 3/4" 7 layer pine ply wood sanded to 11/16" . Got the plywood free. Was marine grade plywood and looks good. It will never get enough moisture and is sealed all the way around so will outlast me.

Fred K-OR 12-05-2017 12:31 PM

I think I did use a drawing similar to this to make a floor board for my coupe. I just used 3/4 in plywood and painted it black. My rig is a driver so did not conform to specks.

I do have the metal strips that go under the board. But I did not use them. Now I kind of wish I did use them because they would hold the boards in place better.

Larry Jenkins 12-05-2017 04:15 PM

Many years ago, I bought a floorboard from Rainmaker Ron that had been machined on a CNC machine from marine plywood.

Nice edges all around and fit well. Maybe some one who knows Rainmaker Ron will also know how to contact him for a source.

Cape Codder 12-05-2017 10:26 PM

JohnB15632 Can you show the drawing for the top part of floor board?

ahirt 12-05-2017 11:47 PM

How To Restore Your Model A, Volume 6, Pgs 36-40 is a great article on the evolution of floorboards in Model A's. It includes copies of original Ford Blueprints.

JohnB15632 12-06-2017 04:55 AM

To Cap Codder,

This is drawing is all that I have. I do not have a drawing for the top part of the floor board.

Thanks,

marcel kristoff 12-06-2017 05:45 AM

I just read that Rainmaker Ron passed away yesterday.

burner31 12-06-2017 01:15 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I cut/made my own floorboards using the old rotted boards as templates.
I used marine board and stained and sealed both sides and edges.
Turned out right nice if I do say so myself.

1930.68B 12-06-2017 05:18 PM

I have the drawing for the top part of the floor board but I don't see an option to add an attachment or thumbnail to someone else post??
There is also a dimension missing on the drawing you have posted. In the front view of the drawing just to the right of the center line there is a 5 1/8" dim., to the right of that is a 1 11/16" dim. From the bottom of the 1 11/16" dim., it is 4" down the horizontal line of the center cut out. To put it another way, it is 5 11/16" from the top edge down the horizontal line of the center cut out.

JohnB15632 12-06-2017 05:34 PM

If you have a copy of the top part, I would appreciate a copy. I see the missing dimension. Thanks for pointing that out. I have corrected my copy.

Thanks,

eswanson 12-06-2017 05:39 PM

I've had two sets, one that Rod had made and one Rod had me make. He wasn't always a stickler for authentic as long as it fit and worked. To that I would say if you followed the blueprints and used a high quality. That being said, make it out of a marine grade for water resiliency and then paint or stain it as a drive, if a show car then follow all authenticity guides.

1930.68B 12-06-2017 05:48 PM

JohnB
I tried to send you the dwg in a private email but I could not a attachment option in the private email system. My email address is [email protected] if you to send an address I can send the dwg. to.

Rex Perry 12-06-2017 06:01 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here is a set of floorboard drawings:

JohnB15632 12-06-2017 06:25 PM

To: Rex Perry

Thank you so very much for the help and these dimensional drawings.

It is a big help.

Thank you,
John

Rex Perry 12-07-2017 10:24 AM

It should be noted that the floorboards for the earlier Model A's are different due to the location of the emergency brake handle. Battery access is also different.

M.W.Miller 12-07-2017 10:46 AM

FYI; I read in a model a club publication that the early floor boards tongue and groove type were made using the crates the engines were sent in to the assembly plant. Henry didn't waste anything.