The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Truck based woody (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175939)

GB SISSON 10-20-2019 07:17 PM

Re: Truck based woody

Things still going well! Having a wet fall in the Pacific NW, but driving the woodie plenty when it's sunny. The heart healthy food is boring, but my blood pressure is really good now and I have lost 15 lbs in six weeks! Huffing and puffing all the way. Just like my 221 cu in raised deck replacement block flathead coming up Mt Pickett on the way home from town. Can't wait to find the time this winter to do the 8ba with merc crank. Can you spell 255?

Bill 10-21-2019 07:36 AM

Am I the only one that noticed the strategically located period correct bottle opener on page 27, post 521, pic#4, Sept 21? Surely an after market add on! You finally found a use for it..Everyone turn back a page. Bill

Zeke3 10-21-2019 09:08 AM

Gary, keep up the good work. I am also on that diet for the last five years and have gotten used to it. Also, keep up with your exercise.

I saw that also, the bottle opener. It beats breaking the top of the bottle off on the door latch.

'36 5W 10-28-2019 09:20 AM

You two are likely the only ones to catch the bottle opener on
the left door!
Ok Gary; explain to us near-sighted coots the scenario that calls for that strategic location.
(Glad to see you are getting back on track in the health dept.)

GB SISSON 10-28-2019 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '36 5W (Post 1814940)
You two are likely the only ones to catch the bottle opener on
the left door!
Ok Gary; explain to us near-sighted coots the scenario that calls for that strategic location.
(Glad to see you are getting back on track in the health dept.)

Well, I have a half mile of dirt road off the county road to get to my driveway. This dirt road is owned by the landowners on Pickett's Lane and I'm the only one who maintains it. (1974 Oliver/White construction tractor). Driving home from town, all six bottles are in the six pack until I hit the turn-off. Then I check the mail box and occasionally I will relieve a beer bottle of it's cap with this device......

51504bat 10-28-2019 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GB SISSON (Post 1815252)
Well, I have a half mile of dirt road off the county road to get to my driveway. This dirt road is owned by the landowners on Pickett's Lane and I'm the only one who maintains it. (1974 Oliver/White construction tractor). Driving home from town, all six bottles are in the six pack until I hit the turn-off. Then I check the mail box and occasionally I will relieve a beer bottle of it's cap with this device......

Sounds like you're drinking some of the good local craft beer that needs an opener, not the mass market twist off cap variety!:)

GB SISSON 10-29-2019 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 51504bat (Post 1815268)
Sounds like you're drinking some of the good local craft beer that needs an opener, not the mass market twist off cap variety!:)

Well, you know now that I'm a woodie guy......

GB SISSON 05-13-2020 10:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We are getting deep into spring here. With the change in the weather I'm going to get perhaps 3 more coats of varnish on in the next few weeks. My diesel conversion is winding down on my tonner pickup and the woodie calls from it's winter resting shed. I don't think I mentioned that as much as I LOVE the look of the 6.50 16 bias tires, I grew tired of the wandering. I replaced them with excellent used 215 85r 16s that have been very common on dually pickups. They are tall and skinny and if I recall, I got 4 pretty much as new at a roadside used tire lot for 125.00. The difference in ride, steering and handling is like night and day. I installed them with the old manual tire changer I got at the Portland swap meet last year. I never balance, but hey, what a difference.

tubman 05-13-2020 10:46 PM

Been there, done that, got the "T"-shirt. Amazing improvement, ain't it?

And you should try balancing them! (Quality tires are usually close, though)

GB SISSON 05-13-2020 11:06 PM

Really, a guy could build a balancer with a cone on a nail and set weights here and there til it lays flat and then pound them on. Maybe I'll do it after lunch tomorrow. What could possibly go wrong?

Mart 05-14-2020 04:03 AM

Deleted. sorry read the tyre size wrong.

tubman 05-14-2020 09:53 AM

I bought a cheap bubble balancer from Northern Tool. After I used it a couple of times, some little sheet metal screws came loose and it fell apart. I fixed it by drilling the holes out, taping them, and using machine screws. Ever since then it has worked fine and I don't have to go to the tire shop anymore. $6 a tire for balancing plus fixed charges for shop supplies and disposal fees. Then there's the long wait because they really don't want to work with tires that they haven't sold.

Your method will probably work fine, too.

51504bat 03-10-2021 12:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Maybe time for another build?

GB SISSON 03-10-2021 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 51504bat (Post 1994573)
Maybe time for another build?

I think it might be YOUR turn. :) That is one Looooong car! Gotta be a straight 8 or something under that snout! What is that?

51504bat 03-10-2021 04:45 PM

From a posting on the HAMB:

This 8 door 1940 La Salle woodie originally served at Meadow Brook Hall and was used to take staff to town on their days off and to drive guests around the estate. It was donated in 1950 to the Pontiac Boys Club and eventually was obtained by the present owner, who resides in California.

Meadow Brook Hall is a mansion in Rochester Hills, Michigan.

GB SISSON 03-10-2021 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 51504bat (Post 1994662)
From a posting on the HAMB:

This 8 door 1940 La Salle woodie originally served at Meadow Brook Hall and was used to take staff to town on their days off and to drive guests around the estate. It was donated in 1950 to the Pontiac Boys Club and eventually was obtained by the present owner, who resides in California.

Meadow Brook Hall is a mansion in Rochester Hills, Michigan.

I gotta think that down in Cali, even a long board would look short on that roof. The staff from that estate were rollin' High Style on their outing into town, and good thing they had a chauffer on the ride home.

cas3 03-11-2021 12:15 AM

Must have had a truck driver who knew to take turns WIDE ! or else it would have been crashed at some point in its life

GB SISSON 05-03-2021 11:57 PM

So on Saturday I took a friend back to the ferry in the woodie and we were a bit late so we did 55 on a couple of straightaways. Been running GREAT! Well I stopped in town before returning home and ol' Woodie wouldn't start back up. One solenoid click then nuttin'..... I'm hanging over the fenders cleaning connections with nothing but a pair of needle nose vicegrips.I have a toolbag I 'always' take with me', but I won't forget it again. I added a couple strips of sandpaper to it's contents too. Six volt or 12 volt, the stuff has to be clean..... Just a reminder to bring a few tools! Nice that good weather is returning!

dlyle 05-04-2021 12:01 AM

Always satisfying when you can fix it so no tow is needed.

petehoovie 05-04-2021 12:11 AM

GB manning his finishing saw for those delicate cuts....:D

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...0&d=1482200174