The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Help! - pitman arm on 34pu needs moved counterclockwise (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115972)

Jack 34pu 08-29-2013 10:39 AM

Help! - pitman arm on 34pu needs moved counterclockwise

I'm literally under the vehicle. The pitman arm needs to be moved counterclockwise about 1-2 teeth to center my steering wheel.(no adjustment in drag link) There are 3 larger teeth ground into the pitman arm that prevent it from being moved either direction. Can these 3 larger teeth be ground out to allow some adjustment?

David J 08-29-2013 12:04 PM

Re: Help! - pitman arm on 34pu needs moved counterclockwise

Are you sure you have a pickup pitman arm ? Car ones are clocked slightly different .
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack 34pu (Post 715899)
I'm literally under the vehicle. The pitman arm needs to be moved counterclockwise about 1-2 teeth to center my steering wheel.(no adjustment in drag link) There are 3 larger teeth ground into the pitman arm that prevent it from being moved either direction. Can these 3 larger teeth be ground out to allow some adjustment?

SUHRsc 08-29-2013 12:09 PM

Yes, you can cut those spots out and it will work.
I usually take a triangle file and make it into teeth rather then removing it entirely.

Not really that bad of a job, just clamp it in a vice at a comfortable height and have at it!

Mart 08-29-2013 12:13 PM

Agree with SUHR.

I did one recently. I first made a cut with a hacksaw through the dead splines, then opened the cut out with a good triangular file. It didn't take too long at all.

Mart.

Andy 08-29-2013 12:51 PM

The steering box needs to be centered so it steers without slop. The boxes have slop when off center. I would get the box centered so it is tight and then figure out what to change. You should be able to find or make an adjustable drag link to fix the problem. Is everything a modified system? Has the shaft been welded on? It may need to be redone to center the wheel. The keyed shafts have a specific orintation so the wheel will be centered.

FlatheadTed 08-29-2013 02:54 PM

do you have a Model A drag link .check the length

Jack 34pu 08-29-2013 03:14 PM

Thanks everyone. I filed each of the 4 flats with triangle file. Worked great and it only took 5 short road tests to get it centered. That one puzzled me as I pulled straight into garage each time and pulled pitman arm to center it and it was still off. Finally got it where I wanted it. One spline makes a bigger difference than I thought.
Fordbarn is the greatest! Like having an expert in the garage with you!