The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   21 stud pressure test help?????? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246131)

lotsagas4u 06-14-2018 06:47 PM

21 stud pressure test help??????

Where/how can a guy find a 21 stud pressure test kit?
Bought a engine a few years back, need to know what I have before going any further. Block has 0.30 pistons in it now. I crack in one valve seat, going to edge of cylinder. Hopefully can be repaired, thoughts?? Thanks for looking.

Jack E/NJ 06-14-2018 08:52 PM

Re: 21 stud pressure test help??????

Do what I did with my 21-studder that had been sitting around since the early 60s. Try to run it for a few minutes dry. If it runs, block off the lower radiator inlets and fill both sides with water. Then run it longer using straightup radiator hoses on the outlets to take up water expansion. If all seems to go well, then go further like I did. 8^) Jack E/NJ

Tinker 06-14-2018 10:16 PM

If you have it down to a bare block wouldn't mag'in it tell you if there are more issues?

JSeery 06-15-2018 08:17 PM

Mag can locate some cracks, but it will not check out a block like pressure testing does. Mag testing is only part of the picture. I use both, much cheaper than investing machine work in a block only to discover issues later. But if I had to pick only one it would be pressure testing for sure.

Tinker 06-15-2018 09:40 PM

True, but mag will show other potential issues other then the a valve to cylinder cracks. Pressure testing in the car will show most likely that valve to cylinder is bad. Mag will show all cracks, "harmless" our bad. Pressure test will certainly show internal issues you can't mag. So why do we mag a block again?

V8COOPMAN 06-15-2018 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinker (Post 1640576)
True, but mag will show other potential issues other then the a valve to cylinder cracks. Pressure testing in the car will show most likely that valve to cylinder is bad. Mag will show all cracks, "harmless" our bad. Pressure test will certainly show internal issues you can't mag. So why do we mag a block again?

To find that crack buried up in that exhaust port, for one. DD

Tinker 06-15-2018 09:52 PM

I was agreeing with JSeery by the way.:eek::) I'm allowed to change my opinion. :p Why we post here to learn.

flatjack9 06-15-2018 09:57 PM

There are so many areas that cannot be seen. The pressure test is by far the most valuable. I would never build an engine without pressure testing it.

V8COOPMAN 06-16-2018 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinker (Post 1640580)
I was agreeing with JSeery by the way.:eek::) I'm allowed to change my opinion. :p Why we post here to learn.

Sorry...Not disagreeing with ya! Just trying to point-out one more important consideration for the pressure testing. DD

JSeery 06-16-2018 12:06 PM

Cheap insurance for sure!

JSeery 06-17-2018 07:21 PM

Someone should have a 21 stud pressure test setup?

flatjack9 06-17-2018 08:45 PM

I do.

JSeery 06-17-2018 09:02 PM

Flatjack did you make your setup or are they available somewhere?

Yoyodyne 06-18-2018 07:11 AM

I made a post a little while ago about getting test plates waterjetted, the price and quantity looks fairly high for most folks.
You can use a stock head and a rubber headgasket to block the top of the block, and available plates for the front of a 24 stud block work fine. I bought 1/8" rubber sheet from McMaster-Carr, you can find it on ebay also. I punched a few 7/16 holes in the rubber and bolted the head on with bolts, you don't need all the bolts/studs to hold waterpressure. This won't allow you to view the ports and seats while under pressure, but if no water comes out anywhere you know the block is holding OK.
You'll need to plug up the freeze plugs on the pan rail also. I drilled and tapped mine for pipe plugs, but I think a strap bolted across the stock core plug would be OK also.

flatjack9 06-18-2018 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSeery (Post 1641223)
Flatjack did you make your setup or are they available somewhere?

I made mine.

Tinker 06-18-2018 09:04 PM

lotsagas4u follow up.... or not

msstring 06-19-2018 02:33 AM

Any suggestions on where the plates for the front can be aquired? I could make some but if they are available that would be easier.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoyodyne (Post 1641309)
I made a post a little while ago about getting test plates waterjetted, the price and quantity looks fairly high for most folks.
You can use a stock head and a rubber headgasket to block the top of the block, and available plates for the front of a 24 stud block work fine. I bought 1/8" rubber sheet from McMaster-Carr, you can find it on ebay also. I punched a few 7/16 holes in the rubber and bolted the head on with bolts, you don't need all the bolts/studs to hold waterpressure. This won't allow you to view the ports and seats while under pressure, but if no water comes out anywhere you know the block is holding OK.
You'll need to plug up the freeze plugs on the pan rail also. I drilled and tapped mine for pipe plugs, but I think a strap bolted across the stock core plug would be OK also.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

lotsagas4u 06-19-2018 05:12 AM

I spoke with flatjack, may send it his way soon, thanks for all replys.

Yoyodyne 06-19-2018 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msstring (Post 1641705)
Any suggestions on where the plates for the front can be aquired? I could make some but if they are available that would be easier.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I've seen them at Speedway and Mac's.

JSeery 06-19-2018 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoyodyne (Post 1641804)
I've seen them at Speedway and Mac's.

21 stud? All I have ever seen are 24 stud.