The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Lug centric (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245052)

zoegrant 05-27-2018 08:20 AM

Lug centric

The wheels on my 36 are lug centric and all 4 wheels have "no weights" on them. I am assuming that the previous owner did not locate a shop that could balance them and so just installed them without the balancing.
I would like to have them balanced. Do just some specialized shop have the ability to balance them and not the average tire shop ?

Kube 05-27-2018 08:25 AM

Re: Lug centric

You'll need to have access to an adapter plate used for this purpose. Perhaps someone in your area has one. If not, I seem to recall Speedway sold them.
Be certain the plate has been balanced. Folks may (probably will) tell you the plate doesn't need to be balanced. They will be the same folks that were not tool makers :)

V8COOPMAN 05-27-2018 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kube (Post 1633523)
Be certain the plate has been balanced. Folks may (probably will) tell you the plate doesn't need to be balanced. They will be the same folks that were not tool makers :)

Friggen' Morons! Too many experts giving advice any more that ain't qualified to lick their lips!! DD

SofaKing 05-27-2018 08:47 AM

I bought the $50 adaptor from speedway. The kid that mounted my tires understood the concept but balancing the adaptor was beyond his ability, I asked. My truck drives pretty smooth, I don't feel an obvious imbalance but I have no idea what I actually have. Maybe next time I will find someone who can balance the adaptor but I am not optimistic.

Kube 05-27-2018 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SofaKing (Post 1633540)
I bought the $50 adaptor from speedway. The kid that mounted my tires understood the concept but balancing the adaptor was beyond his ability, I asked. My truck drives pretty smooth, I don't feel an obvious imbalance but I have no idea what I actually have. Maybe next time I will find someone who can balance the adaptor but I am not optimistic.

Any decent automotive machine shop can do this.

FlatheadTed 05-27-2018 01:03 PM

Use a front hub as the balancing plate ,take that to the tyre shop

Charlie Stephens 05-27-2018 05:10 PM

If you include your general location in your profile someone might direct you to a nearby shop that can do the work.

Charlie Stephens

51504bat 05-27-2018 05:59 PM

Balance beads are an other option. I've never used them but read several threads maybe here or on the HAMB about them.

estout81 05-28-2018 10:56 AM

I'm using the beads and they seem to work well so far. The car is a '51 with stock wheels and 205/15R tires.

tubman 05-28-2018 12:12 PM

I don't use balance beads, mainly because I have my own balancer and a big box of weights. That being said, I think that I would try them if I had a car with wide-five wheels rather than introducing another component (the adapter plate) into the equation.