The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   XXXX it !!!!!!! Crabs ???? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272362)

BUBBAS IGNITION 11-08-2019 02:38 PM

XXXX it !!!!!!! Crabs ????

2 Attachment(s)
Ok we have been on the throttle trying to get caught up after being sick. The team is on the money with Terry tearing them down blasting and getting them on my bench to assemble. Jake has been helping with some assembly and running the tester a little bit . Wed was one of those days that nothing went well , UPS sent to the wrong customer etc ( my fault) and a couple problem units to adjust.
Some days when this happens i just trash the unit and start over ( easier i guess) but i saved this crab for me today and looked it over this morning. Points will not adjust to the setting on the machine. Everything is new ( Using a Gen3 breaker plate and new points ) just wont adjust !!! Finally its on the bench for a total tear down!!!!!!
I have done over a thousand of these and should be able to diagnose the problem?? Damn it !!! How many lobes should the crab distributor cam have ?????
Well, duh 6 wont get it.:eek::eek:,

Did ya know if you put a six cylinder cam in a reg crab the points wont adjust .........

35fordtn 11-08-2019 02:44 PM

Re: XXXX it !!!!!!! Crabs ????

Jim I laughed as I read this, as I’ve done the same thing. And I’m sure you won’t be the last. In my instance I was building one out of spare parts and accidentally grabbed a 6cyl weight.

Mart 11-08-2019 02:46 PM

Oh dear I laughed out loud at this one.

We've all done something similar.

Don't push yourself too hard.

Mart.

34fordy 11-08-2019 03:05 PM

So nice when the "experts" will fess up to a simple mistake and be able to share it with us. Makes it easier for the rest of us to accept our own MANY screw-ups!
Hats off to ya Jim!

RalphM 11-08-2019 04:44 PM

Thanks Jim!
Something to smile at today!
We’ve all done it at some point.

aussie merc 11-08-2019 09:10 PM

everyones due a blonde day now and again I have some beauties like the day i mixed up the left and right brake cams

40 Deluxe 11-09-2019 12:52 AM

Lost track of how many times I've pulled off a brake drum to find the primary and secondary shoes reversed on one side. I think I finally figured out how this happened so often. Picture the guy doing the left side first. Hmm, he says, the shoe with the long lining is on my right. So he finishes the left side, slips over to the right side, rips it apart without looking, and says "Ah yes! The shoe with the long lining goes on my right!".

corvette8n 11-09-2019 08:47 AM

Glad you figured it out, what does a cam from the V12 look like?.

Bored&Stroked 11-09-2019 08:53 AM

Hell - it could have been worse, you could have completely set it up with the correct 6 cylinder parts and then put an 8 cylinder cap on it (I don't know if they even fit, but go with me). Then you send it out and some poor guy puts it on his car and it backfires, flames coming out of bad places - won't start, run, etc..

I almost wish that story happened - just to see if it was possible . . . but just not to anybody on the BARN! LOL

Tinker 11-09-2019 10:14 PM

If anyone has a front seat to all the flathead weird dizzy stuff. It's you. And also can fix it!

Anteek29 11-10-2019 12:44 AM

Reminds me of the joke: I went to the shore on vacation and got crabs.
LOL

BUBBAS IGNITION 11-11-2019 03:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by corvette8n (Post 1819353)
Glad you figured it out, what does a cam from the V12 look like?.

The lincoln V12 is two six cylinder ignitions overlapped from each other , bank to bank ...And uses a odd fire splayed crankshaft as well....

This one dont have any numbers for a lincoln build i am doing now.....

Fordestes 11-11-2019 05:03 PM

The L.Z distributor weight/ cam I .d. is smaller than the ford so I found out the same way. the ford has a lot of slop when put on an L.Z. shaft . hard to set the points .

325w 11-14-2019 03:58 PM

I got a six GM module mixed up with the 8 modules. The engine didn't run to well. Took forever to get it right.