The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Engine noise? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283946)

Reelnative 07-12-2020 02:56 PM

Engine noise?

I acquired a new noise over the past weekend, I thought it was a belt noise so I adjusted/ replaced the belt. Did not go away!!! I removed the belt and noise didnít go away, stethoscoped the water pump, alt (6volt positive ground) with belt on, distributor with belt off, touched every nut and bolt I can think off but noise is still there. This is my daily driver and donít want to damage anything else. Whatís my next step?

WHN 07-12-2020 03:23 PM

Re: Engine noise?

What kind of noise?

How long have you had the car and how many miles have you driven it.

Model Aís car make all kinds of noises. Some just go away.

If it sounds like itís in the top of engine, could be valve sticking. Marvel Oil in gas will help that.

I would not recommend rushing into taking things apart.

A dry distributor can also start making noises.

More info needed.

Enjoy.

Patrick L. 07-12-2020 03:50 PM

Like WHN mentioned, what kind of of noise, what does it sound like. And were is it coming from ? A cheap auto store stethoscope, dowel, hose, can help locate it.

Dean Lemoine 07-12-2020 03:59 PM

If itís a squealing noise, kind of sounds like a fan belt? You might want to make sure the distributor is well oiled. How do I know this, you ask?

Jacksonlll 07-12-2020 06:18 PM

Make sure your crank pulley is not loose or cracked.

jg61hawk 07-12-2020 06:49 PM

you are vague on the description... I had the starter rod just rubbing on the firewall and the noise was incredible for such a small contact...but the metal to metal was just right to sound much worse than it was. Check all pass through..... starter, gas, etc...........

aermotor 07-12-2020 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jg61hawk (Post 1908544)
you are vague on the description... I had the starter rod just rubbing on the firewall and the noise was incredible for such a small contact...but the metal to metal was just right to sound much worse than it was. Check all pass through..... starter, gas, etc...........

The starter rod is negative and the firewall is positive so if they are rubbing you are probably hearing electrical arcing.

John

Jack Shaft 07-12-2020 10:34 PM

I'm polarized by the above statement.

Ruth 07-12-2020 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Shaft (Post 1908604)
I'm polarized by the above statement.

Shocking! :eek::eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by aermotor (Post 1908562)
The starter rod is negative and the firewall is positive so if they are rubbing you are probably hearing electrical arcing.

John

I certainly hope your starter rod is insulated from the positive side.

Patrick L. 07-13-2020 05:45 AM

I'm polarized by the above statement

Shocking!

LOL !

aermotor 07-13-2020 06:59 AM

I guess I stated wrong in post #7. Please explain when and how the sparks fly when the starter rod touches the firewall when the insulation in the rod retainer around the rod is missing. I don't understand - the plus battery cable is connected to the frame (firewall) so how does the negative post enter into the picture to cause the sparks?

John

Jack Shaft 07-13-2020 07:13 AM

Your starter switch is bad.

aermotor 07-13-2020 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Shaft (Post 1908654)
Your starter switch is bad.

How is it bad? It works and starts the car, the rod sparks when it touches the firewall because of no insulation in the rod centering retainer. I am just trying to understand the currant flow to cause this. Is it only when the switch is made or any time the rod touches the firewall?

John

Patrick L. 07-13-2020 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aermotor (Post 1908664)
How is it bad? It works and starts the car, the rod sparks when it touches the firewall because of no insulation in the rod centering retainer. I am just trying to understand the currant flow to cause this. Is it only when the switch is made or any time the rod touches the firewall?

John

There should be no electrons at all in the starter rod. Its insulated from the switch.

Ruth 07-13-2020 11:11 AM

This "kit" insulates the plunger (starter rod) from the switch. The little cross goes in the end of the plunger (starter rod). If you are getting sparks you better check out your switch.

https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/P...earchByKeyword

Maybe think about getting a housing insulator while you are at it. https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/P...-INSULATOR-KIT

Jack Shaft 07-13-2020 11:25 AM

It's not bad,just not right

Reelnative 07-13-2020 03:53 PM

Found my noise! Carb to intake manifold gasket.

Patrick L. 07-13-2020 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reelnative (Post 1908797)
Found my noise! Carb to intake manifold gasket.

Good. Easy fix.

john in illinois 07-13-2020 04:33 PM

Good for you. Itís always something.

John

Big hammer 07-13-2020 06:06 PM

Good! It's funny how noise will travel, like leaks!