The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Silver Cad paint (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=316796)

Seth Swoboda 08-10-2022 08:35 AM

Silver Cad paint

I need a can of Silver Cad paint. I looked into Eastwood. 19.99 for the can of paint. Okay, I can deal with that. Shipping is 20.81. $40.80 for a can of spray paint is borderline theft.

This is why Eastwood is a rip off outfit.

Does anyone have a source for Silver Cad where I don't have to give my first born and left nut for a can of paint?

Thanks,
Seth

Kube 08-10-2022 08:44 AM

Re: Silver Cad paint

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda (Post 2155985)
I need a can of Silver Cad paint. I looked into Eastwood. 19.99 for the can of paint. Okay, I can deal with that. Shipping is 20.81. $40.80 for a can of spray paint is borderline theft.

Does anyone have a source for Silver Cad where I don't have to give my first born and left nut for a can of paint?

Thanks,
Seth

Seth, RustoleumŽ makes a matte aluminum paint that mimics cadmium fairly well. Of course, their spray buttons are for poop, so I suggest you spray out all you need and plan on throwing what remains of the paint in the trash directly after use.

Seth Swoboda 08-10-2022 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kube (Post 2155990)
Seth, RustoleumŽ makes a matte aluminum paint that mimics cadmium fairly well. Of course, their spray buttons are for poop, so I suggest you spray out all you need and plan on throwing what remains of the paint in the trash directly after use.

Yes, I agree. Their spray nozzles are garbage. I can get Rustoleum locally. I'll look into it thanks!

35fordtn 08-10-2022 09:35 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 496525
Attachment 496526

Seth I am fortunate enough to get cad done easily. I send a batch out twice a month. Before that I used the paint shown. The fuel pump cover on the top is painted the. Other is real cad. At $3 a can it was useful when I needed it

ndnchf 08-10-2022 09:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Duplicolor has a couple different silver engine paints. I use their Cast Coat Aluminum. DE1650 on the generator cutouts I refurbish. Most auto parts stores carry it.

tubman 08-10-2022 09:56 AM

I have not bought anything from Eastwood for so long that they have finally quit sending me catalogs!

Tim Ayers 08-10-2022 10:18 AM

Yeah, I don't get Eastwood's business model. I haven't ordered anything from them in ages.

Lawson Cox 08-10-2022 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda (Post 2155985)

Thanks,
Seth

Seth: I decided to just bite the bullet and ordered a rattle can of the silver cad paint from Eastwood. Shipping charge turned out to be way less than the $20.81 shown on their website. That must be a typo. Anywho, I did not use all of the can and I believe there is still maybe half a can left that I don't believe I will have a need for. It is yours for shipping costs if you are interested. Lawson

Seth Swoboda 08-10-2022 11:54 AM

Thanks everyone. I got a phone call from Michael Driskell and it looks like I'll be able to get real cad plating from him. Meanwhile, I'm going to check out the tips you guys sent me. Rustoleum and Duplicolor are commonly found in stores near me.

I understand the cost to do business is sky high. Especially for small businesses, who I will support first. Shipping is not cheap but cripes sake I can't justify just ordering one item from Eastwood. Also, they try to attach other junk to your order and if you're not paying attention, you'll get more than you wanted. Strange.

petehoovie 08-10-2022 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 35fordtn (Post 2156004)
Attachment 496525
Attachment 496526

Seth I am fortunate enough to get cad done easily. I send a batch out twice a month. Before that I used the paint shown. The fuel pump cover on the top is painted the. Other is real cad. At $3 a can it was useful when I needed it

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...6&d=1660142049

rotorwrench 08-10-2022 04:27 PM

On most rattle cans, they will empty the fluid tube if you turn it upside down and spray it till it comes clear. I then shoot a spritz of carb cleaner through the nozzle and then carefully reinstall it. I avoid brands that will spray upside down since this won't work on them. These types are spray till your empty if you can. Otherwise chuck it in the round file as Kube mentioned. After a few days it will never spray again.

scicala 08-10-2022 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rotorwrench (Post 2156119)
On most rattle cans, they will empty the fluid tube if you turn it upside down and spray it till it comes clear. I then shoot a spritz of carb cleaner through the nozzle and then carefully reinstall it. I avoid brands that will spray upside down since this won't work on them. These types are spray till your empty if you can. Otherwise chuck it in the round file as Kube mentioned. After a few days it will never spray again.

I don't turn the can upside down and clear the line and nozzle, since I feel it wastes some paint. I just remove the nozzle and spray carb/choke cleaner through it. Never had a problem.

Sal

36and63 08-10-2022 07:45 PM

I really like many of the Eastwood coatings, I've noticed the ridiculous shipping prices too.
Try Amazon, they have many Eastwood items including the silver cad for 18.99 and free shipping for prime.
I have ordered a number of Eastwood paints this way. It almost seems that Eastwood is preferring that sales go through Amazon.

Pat

PeteVS 08-10-2022 09:27 PM

I've found a secret for dealing with the "spray in any position" cans. I picked up a can of 3M Spray Gun Cleaner at Harbor Freight. It's an aerosol and the label says that it's Acetone inside. I use it to clean out aerosol paint nozzles all the time now. It comes with a skinny extension tube that fits into most of the small nozzles. I pop the nozzle off the can of paint, stick the tube in the bottom and give it a spritz. For larger nozzles, like the Rustoleum, I have a short piece of 1/8" OD teflon tubing that nicely fits over the tube on the cleaning aerosol and into the base of the Rustoleum nozzle. I have a can of Krylon and that has an even larger nozzle. For that, I have a tiny bottle of sub-turps that I throw the nozzle into, cap the bottle, shake it a bit and blow it out with air.

larry butcher 08-11-2022 04:34 PM

Are you near a welding supply store? From my local welding supply store that I purchase my welding gas and wire & etc.; they carry "Brite Zinc" in aerosol cans. It's a galvanizing product, but gives a good finish