The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Do you look at the parts wanted forum? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276026)

Nosetime 01-28-2020 02:10 PM

Do you look at the parts wanted forum?

Just curious if any of the guys who really have a stash of good parts look? This is also a bit self serving as I'm looking for a good 30-31 original gas cap.

Ranchero50 01-28-2020 02:21 PM

Re: Do you look at the parts wanted forum?

I'm looking for the '39ish speedometer for my speedster so yes although early ford versus A... :)

Charlie Stephens 01-28-2020 02:24 PM

I am old enough that it is time to start selling parts that I will never use. I track the wanted forum to see what people need.

Charlie Stephens

alexiskai 01-28-2020 02:27 PM

When I posted in parts wanted, I got several replies and ended up closing the deal with one of them, so it certainly worked for me.

Brentwood Bob 01-28-2020 04:03 PM

I have used both the parts wanted and the parts for sale. I respond to every enquiry. My impression is a phone call works the best for me.

Nosetime 01-28-2020 04:23 PM

Bob, that is one thing I have really enjoyed. All the parts I have purchased through the Barn have resulted in a nice conversation with some very nice folks that I learned a lot from. Not available by an Ebay purchase.

37 Coupe 01-28-2020 04:54 PM

AFordbarner responded a couple weeks ago to my wanted ad for a 19" Garfield Sears whitewall tire. I got a nice NOS one with the stickers still on it so only 5 more to go. I am currently running a parts wanted ad for a nice Tacoma Cream 19" wheel. I missed a set of four late last fall.Guy supposedly had four Tacoma Cream 19" wheels with four NOS Garfield tires (Sears).He showed a picture of them,this was on one of the Facebook Model A Ford part sites. He said they were already sold for $500 for all in Minnesota,it was right before Hershey. Two weeks ago a guy posted a new '30-'31 Deluxe roadster top bows everything ready to mount $300.00. Someone else told me not to greive that some sadistic guys are posting false ads not scams just mean.

Synchro909 01-28-2020 05:29 PM

I've used "Parts Wanted" to find a RHD 2 tooth steering box. They are scarce here but that is all. The cost of getting anything from one country to the other is prohibitive. It can be reduced a little by using surface freight but that takes 5 months - about the same as in the 18th century. Who says things are better these days?

Don Turley 01-28-2020 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosetime (Post 1846146)
---I'm looking for a good 30-31 original gas cap.

The late Doug Bruce restored stainless steel parts. I have three of his 1930-31 gas caps remaining for sale. (no radiator caps)

Don Turley email = [email protected]

SteveB31 01-28-2020 08:29 PM

I have several as well.

Dodge 01-28-2020 09:13 PM

I also watch the wanted ads and try to sell there before I post in the for sale or put
it on ebay.
I have also used the wanted section for parts I was looking for. It works well both
ways for me.

SSsssteamer 01-28-2020 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dodge (Post 1846287)
I also watch the wanted ads and try to sell there before I post in the for sale or put
it on ebay.
I have also used the wanted section for parts I was looking for. It works well both
ways for me.

Ditto

Stew Masche 01-29-2020 12:55 AM

The wanted ads are the first thing I check. clearing out my fathers stash of extra parts from the 60's and 70's. I may start running for sale ads again. These have always worked for me.

Thanks,
Stew

ronn 01-29-2020 05:17 AM

everytime I look, the parts I want are sold. I use ebay...........

Ray in La Mesa 01-29-2020 09:35 AM

I check them every morning, have both bought & sold with great success.

alexiskai 01-29-2020 09:44 AM

You can subscribe to an entire forum, either the wanted or sale forums, and get a digest emailed to you every day around 7pm EST showing all new and updated posts. Good way to keep tabs on things you're in the market for.

barnstuf 01-29-2020 10:59 AM

I check parts wanted every morning and it has worked for me. I also post ads regularly as I am likely the oldest seller among those of us who are reducing a lifetime parts collection.

Model A owner since 1937
MARC member since 1954
MAFCA member since 1958

Nosetime 01-29-2020 11:06 AM

Just FYI. I have been contacted by a scammer or two on The Ham after posting a wanted ad. I actually recognized the part he was saying he had from another online seller. Ryan is very quick to sort those guys out. Never a problem here, but I suggest buying from someone with a little history on the forum.

redmodelt 01-29-2020 11:42 AM

I look at them too. I do not have Model A parts (I do T's) to sell but I know someone that does, he does not do computers so will pass the info on and act as a go between. So ya pretty much every day when I come here.

Jim Brierley 01-29-2020 12:11 PM

I haven't used that section, but may start because I, like Charlie, am in the 'getting rid of thing' phase of my life.