The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Cold Weather Shifting (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276058)

Mulletwagon 01-29-2020 12:00 PM

Cold Weather Shifting

After a spell of wind chill in the 50s down here, I noticed no amount of double clutching or rpm modulation would prevent gears grinding until the trans warmed up. Is this typical for running As up north during serious cold ? If so, what is a good shifting technique until the trans limbers up and shifting returns to normal ?

1931 flamingo 01-29-2020 12:06 PM

Re: Cold Weather Shifting

What are you running in the tranny for lube??
Paul in CT

Tacoma Bob 01-29-2020 12:08 PM

Had this happen a couple of times up here in Tacoma. I found just letting the car warm up before heading out works. Like 20 minutes or so.

Mulletwagon 01-29-2020 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo (Post 1846414)
What are you running in the tranny for lube??
Paul in CT

Fresh 600W. Just put in a new clutch disc.

Jacksonlll 01-29-2020 01:00 PM

The lube is stiff and will stop the spinning gears quickly, so shift quicker and at lower speeds.

ryanheacox 01-29-2020 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mulletwagon (Post 1846410)
After a spell of wind chill in the 50s down here, I noticed no amount of double clutching or rpm modulation would prevent gears grinding until the trans warmed up. Is this typical for running As up north during serious cold ? If so, what is a good shifting technique until the trans limbers up and shifting returns to normal ?

Shift quick, don't double clutch the upshifts until the oil warms up. Thats the way I did it when it was 10 outside and I only let the engine warm up for a few minutes.

Edit: Jack beat me to it

Big hammer 01-29-2020 05:47 PM

Drive in low gear at a slower than normal speed, the colder it is the long time is need to get the 600w oil to flow. When I was driving my A daily and the temperature was 0* I could not put the shifter in to gear because the oil was so stiff. I learned to put the shifter in to the gear I was going to leave in or it would take two hands to move the gear shift.

Kurt in NJ 01-29-2020 05:57 PM

Below freezing it takes some effort to move the shifter, steady pressure instead of forcing, then I go a block or two in first, after that I drive normally---(shell Omaha 680 gear oil)--- in the owners instruction book there are suggestions of thinning the oil with kerosene for cold operations--- I don't, have found the short time in first loosening it up enough---

warrene 01-29-2020 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mulletwagon (Post 1846419)
Fresh 600W. Just put in a new clutch disc.

Who would use TAR in their transmission, that's what that junk is. try to drain it out, put in 80-90 same as a modern car or truck, that's what belongs in the thing, same thing in the rear end, 600 doesn't even have EP in it, you want to wreck your gears ... leave it in.

warrene in Minnesota where it can be 30 below shifting.

rocket1 01-30-2020 08:04 AM

Oh no not another discussion on proper lube!!!

Mulletwagon 01-30-2020 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanheacox (Post 1846459)
Shift quick, don't double clutch the upshifts until the oil warms up. Thats the way I did it when it was 10 outside and I only let the engine warm up for a few minutes.

Edit: Jack beat me to it

Tried the single clutch quick shift and it worked great. Ryan You Da Man !!

Bill G 01-31-2020 01:37 AM

Up here in Washington State, it gets cold but admittedly not as cold as the midwest! I noticed right off in the winter that it takes a mile or two for the transmission to warm up. Yes, when cold definitely faster shifts at lower rpm, otherwise a need for double clutching or grinding.

ryanheacox 01-31-2020 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mulletwagon (Post 1846959)
Tried the single clutch quick shift and it worked great. Ryan You Da Man !!

Glad I could help! :cool:

Big hammer 01-31-2020 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magicbox51 (Post 1847028)
Up here in Washington State, it gets cold but admittedly not as cold as the midwest! I noticed right off in the winter that it takes a mile or two for the transmission to warm up. Yes, when cold definitely faster shifts at lower rpm, otherwise a need for double clutching or grinding.

And how cold was it in the Midwest, it was so cold we didn't exhale on the windshield or frost would form on it ! We would exhale on the side windows.

DD931 01-31-2020 01:08 PM

A friend recommended putting about 50% STP with 80/90 regular gear oil in the tranny to aid in shifting. Comments?

The Master Cylinder 01-31-2020 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacksonlll (Post 1846437)
The lube is stiff and will stop the spinning gears quickly, so shift quicker and at lower speeds.

I agree. Even in SoCal on a cold morning I have to shift early to get in second and third. Downshift? Forget it when it is cold.

Forddan 01-31-2020 10:43 PM

You can take a look to my first posting of this thread..... and if you have time you can read the rest.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272671