The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Need electrical / ignition help (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279603)

ZOLTAR 04-17-2020 09:01 PM

Need electrical / ignition help

I have a 35 five Window Coupe with a 59ab engine front-mounted distributor with helmet coil. Was getting no spark so I bought an adapter for regular coil. Got it all hooked up still no spark motor turns freely. Points open up and check out right and have been cleaned. Not sure where to go next I'll pull it tomorrow and see if I can figure anything out but any help would be appreciated thanks. I'm just hot wiring a directly to battery with positive ground

JSeery 04-17-2020 09:25 PM

Re: Need electrical / ignition help

What ohm coil are you using? Are you sure you have voltage to the coil? What condenser are you using? Do you get a spark directly out of the coil?

ZOLTAR 04-17-2020 10:32 PM

Direct to battery so have current, how do I check spark out of the coil? Not sure what all teams but it's a 6 volt with a resistor in it.

JSeery 04-17-2020 11:04 PM

If you don't know what a condenser/capacitor is that could be the issue. To test for spark at the coil, remove the large spark wire from the coil to the distributor at the distributor. Locate it about 1/2 inch or so from a good ground. Crank the engine over and check for a spark.

Ignition problems are often capacitor problems. Would be a good idea to replace it with a new one (correct for the remote coil you are using).

You also need to know what coil you are using. How did you select it?

flatheadmurre 04-18-2020 12:54 AM

If itīs been sitting for a long time maybe the points just needs a cleanup.
Not to uncommon that people start swapping parts when all it needed was to run a file on the points.

Tinker 04-18-2020 01:06 AM

Try a new condenser also. They were cheap.

If you have time, send the original coil to skip and the dizzy to charlieNy (or someone) as bubba is not doing them. or not

ZOLTAR 04-18-2020 08:51 AM

Thanks everybody I will work on it in a little bit when it gets above 20 degrees outside. The adapter that is on top of the distributor has a new condenser on it all looks wired correctly points have been checked and filed I will check for score for the coil in a little bit. I pulled the coil off my 8ba that works and runs

JSeery 04-18-2020 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZOLTAR (Post 1876060)
I pulled the coil off my 8ba that works and runs

Was that car 6v or 12v? If 6v it should work fine. Did you check for spark out of the coil yet?

ZOLTAR 04-18-2020 10:16 PM

Okay I wired everything up correctly motor turns over have got power to the starter hot lead to the coil has power other side of the coil has power the coil wire coming out of the top of the coil has no power could it be my gauge of wire is too light to the coil it's a 12 gauge I don't know what else could be wrong any help is appreciated thanks tried 3 different coils

flatheadmurre 04-19-2020 02:38 AM

Unhook the distributor cable from the coil. Attach a short piece of wire there. Hook up a high tension plugwire and a sparkplug from the coil. Ground the short wire you have shortly while watching the sparkplug which should be againstground.
You got spark there now...you have points;condensor or short in the distributor.

flatheadmurre 04-19-2020 02:44 AM

If you have spark at coil...hook up cable between distributor and coil.
Keep the sparkplug and wire in the coil and your short grounding wire togetter with the distributor wire.
Short the wire to ground watching the sparkplug...turn engine over in small portions...no spark any where while turning you got a short in the distributor or condensor shorted.
You get spark...your poinīs aint making contact.

JSeery 04-19-2020 03:37 PM

What flatheadmurre posted. The coil is similar to a transformer with two sets of coiled up wire inside. You build up a field in one set of coils and the energy is transferred to the other set of coil wires when the field collapses. In the distributor the points open and close to build up the charge and then collapse it. This takes the 6v input to the coil and transforms it to several thousand volts output.

Flatheadmurre is giving you a way to test this coil function. In place of the points you are touching the coil (+) terminal (6v positive ground) to a ground. This builds up the field in the coil. Removing the wire from ground collapses the field and you get the high voltage discharge to the sparkplug. By using a single sparkplug connected directly to the high voltage coil wire you have a very basic setup to test your coil in the car.

ZOLTAR 04-22-2020 06:42 AM

Thanks guys, I do not have spark after doing the coil test I'll take the distributor off and see what I see. If I was going to replace or rebuild the whole thing any suggestions?

flatheadmurre 04-22-2020 10:28 AM

Have it rebuilt...quality condensor and a rebuilt original coil !
Then you can enjoy the car without worries...just my 2c.

JSeery 04-22-2020 10:37 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZOLTAR (Post 1877679)
Thanks guys, I do not have spark after doing the coil test I'll take the distributor off and see what I see. If I was going to replace or rebuild the whole thing any suggestions?

If you checked the coil with a wire as the switch and it didn't work it would have nothing to do with the distributor and distributor would not even be in the circuit!

Sending the distributor and coil out to be setup properly is a good idea. You may have multiple issues going on. George Haney can rewind original coils to modern standards.

http://www.fordcollector.com/coils.htm

ZOLTAR 04-25-2020 07:24 PM

Thanks everybody for your replies hopefully Monday I can get to looking at this again stay safe

petehoovie 04-25-2020 09:17 PM

All knowing ZOLTAR should not have to seek out advise from others....

https://pinballpro.net/wp-content/up...dardzoltar.png

cas3 04-25-2020 09:43 PM

good one pete!

Renoalbany 04-25-2020 09:46 PM

I had the same exact problem on my 35. I put on the adapter plate and got nothing. When I pulled the distributor I saw that the spring on the plate was off set and not making contact with the points. The Carbon brush was also not making contact with the rotor. I stretched out out the brush so it made contact. Put it back on and it fired right up. Some of the adapter plates are not the best quality. I hope you get it going. Sometimes it just things you wouldn’t expect in an ignition system th at cause problems.

Renoalbany 04-25-2020 09:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Photos of the problem with the adapter plate