The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Alternative horn button for an F1 (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256897)

whirnot 12-31-2018 07:22 PM

Alternative horn button for an F1

I am putting rack and pinion steering in my wife's 51 F1.
Obviously the stock horn button isn't going to work, and mounting a button on the side of the column just looks cheesey. Anyone ever see an alternative location that works well?

JSeery 12-31-2018 07:52 PM

Re: Alternative horn button for an F1

Why not run it up the new column you are using and use the horn button on the new column/steering wheel?

TJ 12-31-2018 08:08 PM

If you are running a stock column you have a couple of options. If you are not using the stock push button for the starter you can use it for the horn button. The next option is to take a look at Limeworks Hotrod Works. They make an adapter kit that goes inside the stock column so you can use the stock horn button. I'm going to use their kit on a early F-100 column mated to a Saginaw steering box in my '40.

adileo 12-31-2018 08:21 PM

When I bought my F1 the horn button was just a push button on the dash next to the key/ignition. I changed it back to steering wheel.

chap52 12-31-2018 08:24 PM

I did as TJ mentioned and used the no longer needed starter button on the dash in my 52 F!. Chap

whirnot 12-31-2018 08:32 PM

I should clarify, I am using the original column on the interior, and wheel. Since the shaft goes to a ujoint, it is impossible to use the wire inside the column. I had thought of a dash mount button, but thought someone might have seen a head slapper!

GB SISSON 12-31-2018 09:37 PM

Here's what I did on my truck based wooidie and my tonner panel, soon to do on my 47 tonner pickup. Period Ford starter relay as a horn relay. The center (small) post is activated when grounded. I mounted the relay on the back of the horns, ran the small ground wire up the windshield pillar and out through a hole in the header. Ground it to some bare metal and HONK. I made a simple wooden rocker switch that connected with ground on the windshield header, although a store-bought spring toggle switch would work and ran a nylon cord attached to a point over the rear window. Reach up with your right arm, yank the loop of the cord down, HONK! In last years july 4th parade I couldn't keep my grand kids away from it. Both trucks have very loud dual horns. Something about the overhead yank of the trucker's horns. I highly recommend it for a truck.

petehoovie 12-31-2018 10:10 PM

Use a Starter Floor Switch like this. Install it in the floor to the left of your pedals....

https://cgfordparts.com/CATPICS/LOGO...0035000400.JPG

GB SISSON 12-31-2018 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petehoovie (Post 1711272)
Use a Starter Floor Switch like this. Install it in the floor to the left of your pedals....

https://cgfordparts.com/CATPICS/LOGO...0035000400.JPG

But on a '51 with the floor mount hi-lo- beam switch, how do you tell them apart? My feet are so wide I'd flash them the hi-beams and honk at them at the same time......

fordor41 01-01-2019 12:51 AM

I added a slip ring above the J-joint with a contact(stationary and insulated)). ran the wire down thru the u-joint, out to the slip ring. wire attached to the contact went to the horn relay. worked for 24 yrs on my '41.

whirnot 01-01-2019 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GB SISSON (Post 1711264)
Here's what I did on my truck based wooidie and my tonner panel, soon to do on my 47 tonner pickup. Period Ford starter relay as a horn relay. The center (small) post is activated when grounded. I mounted the relay on the back of the horns, ran the small ground wire up the windshield pillar and out through a hole in the header. Ground it to some bare metal and HONK. I made a simple wooden rocker switch that connected with ground on the windshield header, although a store-bought spring toggle switch would work and ran a nylon cord attached to a point over the rear window. Reach up with your right arm, yank the loop of the cord down, HONK! In last years july 4th parade I couldn't keep my grand kids away from it. Both trucks have very loud dual horns. Something about the overhead yank of the trucker's horns. I highly recommend it for a truck.

That's it. Perfect!

flatheadmurre 01-01-2019 05:05 AM

I´ve used the slipring from an alternator drilled a small hole in the steering shaft teflon insulated wire soldered to the slipring attached to the hornbutton.
Used the type of brushes that screws sideways into the generator fitted nicely to column.
Everything was hidden under dash so no need for a picture perfect installation.
Slipring was from a truckalternator and fitted perfectly over the shaft with a dab of epoxi to fix it.

whirnot 01-01-2019 09:45 AM

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I really like GB Sissons idea of the pull switch. Unique. Cole Hershey makes a momentary contact pull switch that should fit the bill. I love the idea of the trucker style horn. Much better than the dash or foot mount.

Ross F-1 01-01-2019 11:00 AM

Mid-Fifties/Classic Haulers sells this more elegant solution, they are kind of proud of it tho...
http://midfifty.com/item.php?INV_ID=...oyota-steering

When you need a horn, it needs to be right there where it is on every other car. The link shows how their kit works, same idea as Flatheadmurre's, could be duplicated at home.

flatheadmurre 01-01-2019 01:03 PM

Looked at the link and found where the idee is from...jeep had it...
https://www.armyjeepparts.com/p-393-...act-brush.aspx
Thanks for the link Ross makes the conversion a lot easier.

TJ 01-01-2019 01:44 PM

Go to; www.limeworksspeedshop.com and look at their horn kit. Very similar to the Mid '50's kit and is on sale for $49.95. You can also use the pieces that are used on a forklift horn.

whirnot 01-01-2019 09:51 PM

I couldn't find the Limeworks kit the first time I looked.
Found it this time. Does look like a good solution. As much as I like the trucker style horn cord, it is her truck and it is best to have the horn where you expect it.
Thank you

whirnot 01-19-2019 09:50 PM

Wanted to say thanks for the suggestion of the Limeworks setup. I put it in today and it is a pretty slick setup. Pretty easy if you have the column out and apart anyway.