The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Aftermarket Dist Fit Issues (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276088)

GOSFAST 01-30-2020 08:21 AM

Aftermarket Dist Fit Issues

1 Attachment(s)
Looking for feedback on certain brand distributors fitting in the 8BA timing covers.

Have a dist here won't go in any of 4 different cast iron timing covers?

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. I know it's not a cover problem simply by the hsg size measured at the bottom section (photo below)! Have tried repeatedly to contact vendor, absolutely no response, phone or e-mails.

51 MERC-CT 01-30-2020 08:55 AM

Re: Aftermarket Dist Fit Issues

"won't go in" means what? With the .903 dim. shown it should fit into the lower bore.
Just how far does it "go in" ?
And if you are talking about the one with the .911 shaft, it's probably oversized.

alanwoodieman 01-30-2020 09:12 AM

looks like the housing from bubba's was not turned down enough to fit in the ford timing cover. I would bet Bubba will see this and fix the problem

GOSFAST 01-30-2020 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanwoodieman (Post 1846697)
looks like the housing from bubba's was not turned down enough to fit in the ford timing cover. I would bet Bubba will see this and fix the problem

Hi Alan, correct, the Mallory (.903"/904") fits nicely!

Also, the Mallory has the correct setup for clamping it in place with the Offy heads, can't even see how the other is retained/clamped, no available flange??

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Don't know "Bubba" but tough to get in touch with! I actually have nothing to do with the distributor, was simply trying it for fit! It will most likely be returned to my customer with a "heads-up"?

34PKUP 01-30-2020 09:41 AM

The modified GM from Bubbas has the bearing shaft below the gear and was most likely used in the dedicated aluminum cover that it fits.
So the .911 dimension does not have to fit anything.

Charlie ny 01-30-2020 02:11 PM

The shaft below the gear is left in place in case the distributor is used in a lower bushed housing....the shaft is chopped off at the gear when the customer is using a non
lower bushed housing.
Bubba and I both build them that way.
Charlie ny

BUBBAS IGNITION 02-05-2020 05:08 PM

Gary , the dist is oversized , after doing 2500 plus of these i outlived a couple machine shops. My latest must have machined that one over sized a bit . You could cut it to size or return to us ,

Sorry for the delay in reply i have spent the last couple weeks in the hosipital...
Home now but recovering slowly and have to have a second heart cath and stent performed in a couple weeks ....
Again very sorry in response .

Always the quick response is by email as i dont answer the phone very often...i call too many phone calls "time bandits " have spent 8 rs just answering someone elses tech questions . email i can answer pretty quick at night when sitting around.....its [email protected]

JSeery 02-05-2020 07:28 PM

Sorry to hear this Bubba, hope everything goes well!

tubman 02-05-2020 07:44 PM

I'm with "JSeery" on this. Take care of yourself buddy, we need ya'.

Tim Ayers 02-06-2020 09:44 AM

Deleted comment

tubman 02-06-2020 12:57 PM

I'd go easier on "GOSFAST". I doubt he knew of Jim's condition; I know I didn't until I read his last post on this thread. That being said, if someone has a problem with something I make, the last thing I'd want them to do is to try to fix it themselves. If there is a problem with something, I want to see it for myself, as it may have some bearing on the cause. The only thing I can see that Gary may have done wrong was bring this up on the discussion board rather than with a PM. I really don't have much of a problem with that either, as this is an item of general interest, and we're all interested parties (and, I hope, friends) here.

Tim Ayers 02-06-2020 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubman (Post 1849258)
I'd go easier on "GOSFAST". I doubt he knew of Jim's condition; I know I didn't until I read his last post on this thread. That being said, if someone has a problem with something I make, the last thing I'd want them to do is to try to fix it themselves. If there is a problem with something, I want to see it for myself, as it may have some bearing on the cause. The only thing I can see that Gary may have done wrong was bring this up on the discussion board rather than with a PM. I really don't have much of a problem with that either, as this is an item of general interest, and we're all interested parties (and, I hope, friends) here.

Fair enough. I'll delete it.

GOSFAST 02-06-2020 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubman (Post 1849258)

Hi "tubman", thanks for the support, you are absolutely right, had NO clue about Jim.

Had sent few messages beforehand, made a phone few calls, took a while to get an answer?

The post had already been made as you stated.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. I'm in a hospital bed typing this from my laptop, after 4:00 PM today I have no more internet access, will be back next week (hopefully)? A few members here know some of what's happening, not all the details, but some. Needing a procedure tomorrow and will know more after. Joe V. and Heard are 2 members here that have been aware for a very short time now. My sincere apologies to Jim, I can (now) really feel his pain with battling health issues. Up to this point I've been extremely fortunate with my own. Not sure where it's all heading, will try to keep all here apprised. This is the best forum on the internet without a doubt! Will say "so long" for now!

JSeery 02-07-2020 10:07 AM

Gary, sorry to hear of yours problems. Way it is going we may all be posting from the hospital! Hope you have a good outcome.

Zeke3 02-07-2020 10:15 AM

Best wishes Gary.

Ol' Ron 02-07-2020 10:17 AM

Gary, I wish you well, your a credit to the hobby, take care
Ron

Tim Ayers 02-07-2020 10:25 AM

Best of luck, Gary. I hope all goes well and you're back on Da Barn sooner than later.

BUBBAS IGNITION 03-29-2020 07:19 PM

AND ITS ALL GOOD !! I talked to customer , will fit the distributor to cover and ship back to customer . Seems like Gary , the customer and I have all had health problems since this happened .
WILL get it fitted and shipped to customer tomorrow !!!

51504bat 03-29-2020 08:40 PM

:)As usual Bubba, you the man

Bored&Stroked 03-29-2020 09:20 PM

Get well Gary . . . we all need yah!