The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Ignition key (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=282888)

jerryv 06-20-2020 12:14 PM

Ignition key

I lost the key to my 34 ford 3 window coupe, is there any way to get a key made without taking the whole steering column out or the key cylinder out?

51504bat 06-20-2020 12:21 PM

Re: Ignition key

A new key can be cut by code but you have to have the code. Or an old school lock smith might be able to make a key by impression. Not sure exactly the process but it involves inserting a blank key into the lock and then reading impressions left on the key and filing the blank accordingly. I had a key for a spare tire lock made that way years ago. Don't know if any lock smiths still have the expertise to do the type of work now.

corvette8n 06-20-2020 12:27 PM

Not sure about 1934 but I had a key made from the passenger door cylinder codes it worked perfectly. 32Phil can cut it for you.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46583

51woodie 06-20-2020 12:33 PM

I'm not familiar with the 34's, but I had a problem with my '46 ignition key worn to the point where I had to wiggle to get the lock to work, and it was the only one I had. What I found out, was that the door and ignition locks were the same code, so I took the door lock out, read the code on the lock then had a lock guy that had the Ford code settings, cut me new keys.

Kube 06-20-2020 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerryv (Post 1900992)
I lost the key to my 34 ford 3 window coupe, is there any way to get a key made without taking the whole steering column out or the key cylinder out?

Jerry, if your door lock matched, take that out as has been suggested and contact 32Phil here on the Barn. Great guy that knows what he's doing. Phil is fair, ethical and prompt.

Kube 06-20-2020 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 51504bat (Post 1900995)
A new key can be cut by code but you have to have the code. Or an old school lock smith might be able to make a key by impression. Not sure exactly the process but it involves inserting a blank key into the lock and then reading impressions left on the key and filing the blank accordingly. I had a key for a spare tire lock made that way years ago. Don't know if any lock smiths still have the expertise to do the type of work now.

An old school locksmith? Good luck with that.

I have made a few keys through the years by blackening the blank with soot from a match, inserting in the cylinder and filing (carefully) any witness marks. It's tedious (at least it was for me) but works.

v8fordman 06-20-2020 02:36 PM

What Kube offered about the soot will work if you are patient.

Kube 06-20-2020 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v8fordman (Post 1901055)
What Kube offered about the soot will work if you are patient.

Kind of a "funny" story here..
I recalled that "soot" method from a "show & tell" in junior high school - seventh grade I believe. Kid's Dad was a locksmith.
Funny what little lessons we learn that come to our aid much later in life.

Willit Stop 06-20-2020 07:12 PM

If you choose the impression route,you will need a blank and they are hard to find. I believe Sacramento Vintage sells them though. Maybe 32 Phil (?) has some.

deuce lover 06-21-2020 04:07 PM

Either send the whole column drop to Phil or remove the lock cyl and send it.Generic key blanks are available which is what Phil supplies or The vendors sell the repo Hurd blank.

Newc 06-21-2020 05:18 PM

Hi; Same problem with my '35 Ford... Burglar got into my storage garage and stole the only set of keys from the ign lock. He got the column key, door key and spare tire lock key. I am currently borrowing keys 'to try' method. I am now making duplicates for all vehicles. Newc

Kube 06-21-2020 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willit Stop (Post 1901151)
If you choose the impression route,you will need a blank and they are hard to find. I believe Sacramento Vintage sells them though. Maybe 32 Phil (?) has some.

Repops are readily available for $5

32phil 06-22-2020 09:20 AM

Just a little info on key blanks.
Original Hurd blanks are preferred but they are sometimes hard to get and often pricey.
Older aftermarket blanks are ok as well but they can be expensive too.
New blanks from Ilco are thinner and slightly undersize. I have a cutter just for them.
They work OK but not perfect. Unfortunately they are the only game in town.
As far as "picking" locks...I have never been able to pick one.
They're tough......... but maybe it's me.
When folks provide their own blanks I don't mind cutting them but I always tell them I can't guarantee the result because of the variations in original and aftermarket/repro blanks. Kinda like bringing your own eggs to the diner.
What I am seeing now is a lot of worn and damaged locks. Most of the damage is from previous attempts at repairing the locks without proper knowledge or spare parts.
Some I can save....... some go to lock heaven.
Be safe out there.......... Hope You all had a Happy Father's Day

chap52 06-23-2020 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 51504bat (Post 1900995)

Yep, had one made this way by an old school locksmith back in 1962. "Just the facts Mam" (Sargent Joe Friday)

I was needing a spare key for my 30 Tudor. Ace Hardware actually had the blank and cut me a spare key. I was amazed... Chap