The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Vendor Needed: 1934 Subrails, Quarters, Wheel Wells, Floorpan (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222148)

Bored&Stroked 06-06-2017 06:16 AM

Vendor Needed: 1934 Subrails, Quarters, Wheel Wells, Floorpan

Hey Gang: Given all the nightmare stories related to some suppliers (pay your money up front - wait a couple years), was wondering if anybody has recently purchased an original styled floorpan, subrails and full quarters?

If so, how was the quality, service, delivery and price? I know this will be expensive, but I also want to find a great vendor who delivers on his/her promises.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

B&S

rich b 06-06-2017 07:50 AM

Re: Vendor Needed: 1934 Subrails, Quarters, Wheel Wells, Floorpan

Since it sounds like you need the complete bottom side; I would look for a donor body, while it wouldn't help with the quarters, it would probably be the best way in the long run.
Parts wise; we bought a left side '34 subrail from McPherson Auto, received it within the week, and while made in three pieces vs the one piece OEM original, it appears it will fit and look right when we install it. They mentioned floor pans on their websight; no details or pictures; pretty basic sight. Were good people to deal with, too.

JSeery 06-06-2017 07:59 AM

I get most of my 33/34 parts from Tom Bay.

R&J Enterprises
6034 302 Rd Arkansas City KS
620-441-0032
Fax: 620-307-6086
[email protected]

He has a hell of an operation!!! Tom doesn't make the sub-rails, the gentleman in McPherson KS does, but Tom sells them. They are fairly well made, I found that one of the holes for the door frame post is miss-located for a 5w coupe and there are some sight mods that need to be made. But overall they are not bad.

Tom is the supplier to a lot of the other venders for sheet metal parts.

Ken Arms 06-06-2017 10:18 AM

Keep in mind the rear wells available (as far as I know)are not wide enough for sedans, they are made for coupes. I was able to use pieces from them for repair. Ken

Bored&Stroked 06-06-2017 07:06 PM

Question: What recent experiences has anybody had with Don Smart? I have heard that he does great work, but that you may not receive the product you paid in advance for . . . in some cases for years? Anybody done work with him as of late?

BillM 06-06-2017 09:33 PM

Check with Steve's Auto Restoration in Portland , OR. They used to sell a complete '34 5W coupe body and by looking at their web site they are now selling 34 roadster bodies and various sheet metal pieces. I have no experience with them other than a tour of the shop a while ago. Here is a link: http://www.realsteel.com/

larry/Texas 06-06-2017 09:58 PM

I have seen the 33-34 parts that R&J Enterprises sells at the Pate Swap Meet in Ft. Worth and they look very good. There is also Howell's Sheetmetal that makes a lot of the 33-34 parts. They both have good catalogs.

Howell's Sheet Metal Co.
3830 Hollywood
Beaumont, TX 77701
www.FORD.COM
1 800 375 6658

TomT/Williamsburg 06-06-2017 10:06 PM

Check on the HAMB about Howells - does not have the best of reputations ....

34fordy 06-07-2017 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked (Post 1482182)
Hey Gang: Given all the nightmare stories related to some suppliers (pay your money up front - wait a couple years), was wondering if anybody has recently purchased an original styled floorpan, subrails and full quarters?

If so, how was the quality, service, delivery and price? I know this will be expensive, but I also want to find a great vendor who delivers on his/her promises.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

B&S

Evidently you bought the car??????????????????

Bored&Stroked 06-07-2017 02:31 PM

Thanks everybody . . . you guys gave me some good leads to follow up on!

D

JSeery 06-07-2017 02:34 PM

There was a thread on the HAMB were they took parts (like the R&J ones) and made some modification to make exact duplications of the original parts. It was a build thread on a 33 or 34 can't remember for sure. It was also on of them were they lost a lot of the photos when they did the change over. I think I have a lot of the photos saved.