The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Over Heating (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303649)

arefftx 09-10-2021 03:59 PM

Over Heating

I have a 29 Roadster that recently has been over heating after running for about 15 minutes, recently drained & refilled radiator with 50/50 runs well and sound great just overheats, engine is hot radiator cover is hot & starts steaming. Any ideas or suggestions?

Oldgearz 09-10-2021 04:15 PM

Re: Over Heating

Fill radiator to near top then run engine till its hot. With engine running, look in radiator and see if water is circulating well. If not, does it have a thermostat that someone put in it. If so, check that first. Put it in boiling water on stove and see if it opens wide at about 160-190 degrees. If not, replace it. Make sure your lower radiator hose is not kinked closed. If it is, replace. If water is not circulating in radiator and there is no thermostat, then look at replacing water pump. You may also need to flush and clean whole system.

Utopia Texas 09-10-2021 04:33 PM

Be sure your ignition timing is advancing enough above idle. Retarded timing or a lean carburetor mixture can cause overheating also.

arefftx 09-10-2021 04:38 PM

I'm not aware that there is a thermostat , I was told by someone that if the water pump is moving it is OK.....does that make sense? I will check the lower hose , flushing system was a thought I had! Thanks for the suggestions

Incognito-A 09-10-2021 05:20 PM

It sounds like this issue started recently.

What is your previous history with the car?

Has it been sitting for a long period of time?

How old is the radiator?

Is it an original round tube core or a modern core?

What is the date of engine block production?

Any engine modifications or bone stock?

arefftx 09-10-2021 07:01 PM

Great Question..,.
I am a new inexperiencedowner!
The car had 1983 plates on it, was told it had been in storage.
The 1st three 5 mile trips I made were trouble free, now the overheating every time it runs!
The motor # indicates it is 1930....some other items such as tires indicted 1930 (19")
All original motor.....no add ONS or motifications
Radiator is originall style
Hope that helps!
Alan

Incognito-A 09-10-2021 07:16 PM

If you have a 1929 body then you will have a 1929 radiator. If the radiator is an original factory issue (not likely but possible) round core in good cosmetic condition it may be marketable to someone building a show car. If it’s an original there is the problem.

Even if it had a new core at one time it is now at least 38 years old! -1983 plates/storage

Utopia Texas 09-10-2021 07:46 PM

One of the unseen problems with old radiators is that after thousands of heat/cool cycles, expansion and contraction of the metal, the tubes no longer touch the fins in places. Tiny, tiny gaps form and heat is no longer properly transferred from the tubes to the fins…..

arefftx 09-10-2021 08:07 PM

I hear that the aluminum replacement radiator s are not good?

1crosscut 09-10-2021 08:42 PM

Are you actually overheating? Place the probe of a dial meat thermometer into the coolant through the neck of the radiator and see for sure what the temperature actually is. You might just have too much coolant in the radiator and it is pushing the excess out as the coolant gets hot and expands. You only need enough coolant to cover the tubes at the top of the radiator. Many new owners of Model A's try to keep the radiator topped off and it will look a lot like over heating as the excess coolant is pushed out.

w.michael 09-10-2021 09:49 PM

I recently chased an overheating problem that turned out to be a blown head gasket.

W. Michael

arefftx 09-10-2021 10:13 PM

Hmmm heard the head gasket story before!

ALJ 09-10-2021 11:21 PM

Utopia Texas makes a good point about radiator fins. If the fins are not tight the radiator will not cool.

Jacksonlll 09-11-2021 05:54 AM

90% of cooling problems are caused by a plugged radiator. 90 % is just my number.
Don’t fight all the band aids. Buy a new core and enjoy your car.

eagle 09-11-2021 07:05 AM

Have you retorqed the head? Needs to be done periodically.

arefftx 09-11-2021 01:36 PM

Not sure what retorqed head means? What does that involve?
Is there any way to determine if the old radiator is due for replacement?

Oldgearz 09-11-2021 05:27 PM

Retorque = Retighten head bolts in proper sequence. Usually a blown head gasket will show up with lots of bubbles in the radiator when its running, sometimes accompanied by oil in the water or antifreeze which you can see when cold as the oil will float on top of the antifreeze in the radiator. Pulling off the bottom hose to drain in a bucket will also readily show any oil.

Ernie Vitucci 09-11-2021 05:28 PM

Good afternoon...Cars that sit for long periods end up with lots of scale in the water system in the block and head. If the engine and radiator are not flushed out before the car is driven again...the scale will be pumped into the radiator and plug it up. At this point the first thing to do is to remove the radiator hoses and flush the engine and the block/head from bottom hose to top and then flush the radiator as well. Many times this is enough...if you live in an are that gets to more than 90 degrees in the late afternoon in the summer, a larger radiator from one of the major suppliers might be necessary, You can google 'torqueing a Model A Ford Engine Head' and watch it a couple of times and it will be easy to do. Generally an A likes it head torqued once a year...Ernie in Arizona

1crosscut 09-11-2021 05:55 PM

Referring back to my post #10. Have you checked the actual temperature of the coolant?

arefftx 09-11-2021 06:14 PM

I won't be back with the car until next Thursday, will check then!