The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   brake light (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=277474)

bobsmanstuff 03-02-2020 07:11 PM

brake light

Hey guy's, just checking to see if anyone might have an idea to a problem I have.On my30 pickup I have head lights, tail lights a blinkers but had no brake lights. I checked the brake light switch and found it was no good. I purchased a new switch and mounted it and when I put the battery cable back on I had brake lights. The problem is I hadn't pushed down on the brake peddle yet. When I do push down on the peddle the brake light goes out. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Marcus 03-02-2020 07:24 PM

Re: brake light

Bobsmanstuff: turn your headlight switch on, then depress the brake pedal - if the illuminated light then goes out, you have a ground issue. I had exactly the same problem on one of my carhaulers: I had disconnected the brake lights and then painted over the ground connection (not smart, I admit). When everything was connected, the lights would illuminate, except when I applied the brakes: then, they would not illuminate. Cleaned and serviced the connections - no further problems.
Hope this helps!

Jacksonlll 03-02-2020 08:17 PM

Don’t throw out that old switch. Take it apart and fix it. Very simple.

bobsmanstuff 03-02-2020 08:43 PM

I already put a new one on but saved the old one.

37 Coupe 03-02-2020 09:00 PM

Which switch early one or later on crossmember? I just had an issue with the A & L $49.95 switch and they made it right.My issue was off- brake applied on=then back to off. It definitely was the switch,just jump the two wires and see,if you still have an issue its not the switch.

bobsmanstuff 03-02-2020 09:19 PM

I did switch the wires and it made no difference.

Tom Endy 03-02-2020 09:51 PM

Try this:

Remove the wire on the brake light switch that comes from the light bale. Replace it with a wire connected direct to either one of the terminals on the fire wall, or connect it to the fuse on the starter if you have one. This will eliminate and problem with the light bale.

Tom Endy

37 Coupe 03-02-2020 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobsmanstuff (Post 1858046)
I did switch the wires and it made no difference.

No ,I did not mean to switch the wires I mean to attach them to each other jumping or bypassing the switch.If brakelight is on the problem is the switch.

Patrick L. 03-03-2020 08:29 AM

You didn't answer the question about which switch you are using. It makes a difference. The transmission is normally open the crossmember switch is normally closed.
Take a test light [ or voltmeter] and see when and where you have power and when you don't.
You may be using the wrong switch or it isn't adjusted correctly. As Tom mentioned there should be power to the switch at all times.

aermotor 03-03-2020 09:16 AM

I don't know what your switch looks like, but mine has slotted mount holes and
all I needed was to slide the switch fore or aft to get the light to come on at the proper pedal position.

John