The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Model a Engines (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=322485)

imacrazy 01-18-2023 04:10 PM

Model a Engines

I have two Model A engines that I bought maybe fifteen years ago planing to
rebuild them. I have been so busy working on my A's that I never got around to doing anything with them, they have the heads and pans. Getting to old 87 to be exact

Could someone give me a ballpark figure what they be worth? One or both.

Bill

PS I am in Indiana

Charlie Stephens 01-18-2023 04:41 PM

Re: Model a Engines

I don't need them but you need to add more info. Will you ship?

Charlie Stephens

nkaminar 01-18-2023 11:24 PM

Probably worth more on the west coast than in Indiana.

jack backer 01-19-2023 07:05 AM

The problem with used engines is you have to dismantle them to find out what if anything is wrong.. it’s a pig in a poke, you’ll do well to get 200 a piece for them.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 01-19-2023 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack backer (Post 2197379)
The problem with used engines is you have to dismantle them to find out what if anything is wrong.. it’s a pig in a poke, you’ll do well to get 200 a piece for them.

Yes, -very true.

Rocky Rocket 01-19-2023 08:47 AM

Hey Crazy I am in Princeton Indiana 20 miles north of Evansville. I would be interested in them. You gotta have 20 post to contact a member i only have 17 so here is my email if you would like to contact me. I'm just a tinkerer so be good educational tool for me.
[email protected]

Joe K 01-19-2023 09:36 AM

Around here $100 is a good "short" block. I.e. minus the covers and lids but with the crank & internals still in place. And no knowledge of condition.

I paid $40 for a short block. But that was exceptional and the woman selling it insisted I take a "big-block V8" with it since she was cleaning out. The BB went to the scrap immediately since I had no destination, and no fore-knowledge of condition.

I would guess a good "operable" short block at $250 (i.e. a block of previous proven service but probably worn) and if complete and removed from current service perhaps $500 (i.e. loose but with everything there including covers & do-dads)

A lot of the money goes away in "dribs & drabs" buying all the stuff necessary to make a short-block complete.

ONE thing to keep in mind is that on getting a block rebuilt, they very often are found to have cracks -and it may be better economy to start with a better uncracked block. Model B are particularly prone to exhaust port cracks extending into the cylinder wall. These can be repaired but it takes a bit of "finesse" to do so.

Hence I have FIVE spare engines...

Joe K

imacrazy 01-19-2023 03:35 PM

Thanks guys for the info.

Bill

w.michael 01-19-2023 11:30 PM

Within the last year, I bought two engines with heads, pans, and flywheel housings (no flywheels, clutches, or pressure plates) for $50.00 each. No known information about the condition of the engines, so it’s a complete gamble. It’s a lot of work and expense to find out if the blocks are rebuildable, or cracked beyond repair. I enjoy the tinkering, but I would hate to risk much more than $50.00 on a totally unknown engine.

ronn 01-20-2023 09:09 AM

Im in the camp of 100.00 each without knowing anything more.

DJ S 01-20-2023 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronn (Post 2197680)
Im in the camp of 100.00 each without knowing anything more.

Agreed. I attended an auction a few years ago where they were selling them by the pallet. Pallets of 10 engines went for ~$100... Many were left behind for scrap.