The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   46 brakes (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=239682)

Deuce Man 02-22-2018 05:07 PM

46 brakes

The brake pedal on my 46 gets progressively stiffer as I drive. After 9 or 10 miles there is no free travel at the top at all. I can feel the brakes dragging and the brake lights stay on for 15 to 20 minutes after I park it. I have bled the system three times, insulated the exhaust pipe, all to no avail. Do you think a new master cylinder is in order? My car has been laid up in my cousins paint shop for close to two years, this problem surfaced when I got it back. By the way the paint job is awesome! Thanks guys Rich

19Fordy 02-22-2018 05:31 PM

Re: 46 brakes

Flush the system and rebuild the master cylinder. The fluid has probably congealed

JSeery 02-22-2018 06:25 PM

Also take a good look at the brake hoses to the wheel cylinders. They can cause symptoms similar to what you are describing.

FlatheadTed 02-22-2018 06:27 PM

Back of the adjustment between the pedal and M Cylinder for more pedal travel 1/8 ,it could be swollen rubbers and require 19 fordys fix ,but there is a small hole that bleeds back fluid if that's covered by the brake cup you get these symptoms you describe. Ted

V8COOPMAN 02-22-2018 07:39 PM

If the piston in the MASTER CYLINDER does not return COMPLETELY to the retracted position after each application or stroke, the tiny orifice that allows fluid return and the relief of built-up pressure, will remain covered and cause the pressure to rise as in your symptoms. Make sure that the return spring pulls the pedal COMPLETELY UP after each application. There also should be a space of 1/16" or so between the pedal pushrod and the M/C piston when the pedal is fully retracted. DD

Kube 02-22-2018 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN (Post 1596680)
If the piston in the MASTER CYLINDER does not return COMPLETELY to the retracted position after each application or stroke, the tiny orifice that allows fluid return and the relief of built-up pressure, will remain covered and cause the pressure to rise as in your symptoms. Make sure that the return spring pulls the pedal COMPLETELY UP after each application. There also should be a space of 1/16" or so between the pedal pushrod and the M/C piston when the pedal is fully retracted. DD

You have made a very good point with your advice. I'd bet heavily this is exactly what the issue is or very closely related.

The fact that the car did not do this prior to sitting up for two years may indicate contaminants in that weep hole as well.

FlatheadTed 02-22-2018 11:16 PM

If its been laid up for a while some rust most likely is holding the piston down ,so even if you pull the pedal back the piston may not move with it ,so its 19Fordys Fix .Ted

hook00pad 02-23-2018 02:15 PM

I had a disc brake caliper sticking once, causing the brake fluid to get hot. The fluid would vaporize, I'm told and be similar to a vapor lock. This would cause the brakes to fail due to loss of hydraulic pressure.

A. Hook

hook00pad 02-23-2018 02:16 PM

Changed that caliper and all was well.

A. Hook

Deuce Man 02-23-2018 03:39 PM

V8 Coopman, and all the rest of you great guys. Shortening the push rod did the trick. I just got back from a brief 10 mile ride, no burning smell, no topped out pedal, and best of all, this thing feels like it will coast forever! I am sure my gas mileage just went up a bunch. Thanks guys. Rich

Darrell S 02-23-2018 04:57 PM

How about a picture of the 46 wearing a new paint job?

V8COOPMAN 02-23-2018 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deuce Man (Post 1596961)
V8 Coopman, and all the rest of you great guys. Shortening the push rod did the trick. I just got back from a brief 10 mile ride, no burning smell, no topped out pedal, and best of all, this thing feels like it will coast forever! I am sure my gas mileage just went up a bunch. Thanks guys. Rich

Deuce Man.......Sometimes you get lucky and the fix is an easy one. Glad you're cruisin' again! DD

JSeery 02-23-2018 05:20 PM

Good news! Sounds like a fairly easy fix.

Deuce Man 02-24-2018 11:14 AM

I just figured out what changed with my brakes, while it was in my cousins paint shop. My cousin Jack just called to invite my to the Boca Raton Concourse Sunday. I told him that everyone loved my new paint last Tuesday at our local cruise night. He mentioned what he experienced with the brakes when he test drove it. I told him about my bleeding etc with no results, and the advice from this forum, and how it resolved my situation. Jack said,"Now I know why that happened" he said that he put new rubber seals on the brake pedal arms, and that was probably what caused a change in pedal geometry! It is amazing what problems a little thing like that can cause, especially when you didn't know it was done. Those things are quite thick and a bit stiff by the way. thanks again Rich

Deuce Man 02-27-2018 07:06 AM

I forgot to mention that now my brakes feel like the normal semi soft, spongy brakes that I remember on most of my other old fords in the past. Rich