The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Was it Chrome or Stainless for Bumpers (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175664)

Skibb 08-13-2015 11:06 AM

Was it Chrome or Stainless for Bumpers

For the 1930 Restro what is the "correct" bumper.
I thought it was stainless but so sure

160B 08-13-2015 11:15 AM

Re: Was it Chrome or Stainless for Bumpers

Ford did not use Stainless on the bumper, they are chromed.

Henry1953 08-13-2015 11:23 AM

Chromed repops that I have bought in the past did not hold up. Chrome started popping off and rust popped through. I have stainless steel ones 20 years now and they look new.

Skibb 08-13-2015 11:34 AM

Thanks 160 and Henry

C26Pinelake 08-13-2015 01:22 PM

Stainless costs more but is well worth the investment! My friend bought a chrome luggage rack 3 years ago and the chrome us already peeling. Wayne

Kevin in NJ 08-13-2015 02:37 PM

Originally the bumpers were chrome plated.

The chrome goes over the dull nickel used at the time and only polished on the face. This leave the back side with a grey color like the back side of aluminum foil.

Bright nickel plate used today was not available till much much later then Model A production.

Ron in Quincy 08-13-2015 03:02 PM

The original bumpers, front and back, were copper plated, then nickel plated, them chrome plated. And as said by others, the nickel of the time was dull and only the front part of the bumpers was polish before chrome plating.

Most replacement chrome bumpers are not made using copper and nickel, they chrome directly on the steel which will not hold up and eventually start pealing. If you want your bumpers to hold up have them plated by a shop that will triple plate !!!!

Ron

Skibb 08-13-2015 09:27 PM

Thanks Kevin and Ron.

Mike V. Florida 08-13-2015 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron in Quincy (Post 1138397)
The original bumpers, front and back, were copper plated, then nickel plated, them chrome plated. And as said by others, the nickel of the time was dull and only the front part of the bumpers was polish before chrome plating.

Most replacement chrome bumpers are not made using copper and nickel, they chrome directly on the steel which will not hold up and eventually start pealing. If you want your bumpers to hold up have them plated by a shop that will triple plate !!!!

Ron

Berts sells rechromed bumpers.

John Duden 08-13-2015 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida (Post 1138611)
Berts sells rechromed bumpers.

not any more they dont, i ended up ordering an original bumper from them and they sent it directly to Craig Riker, he did a Perfect job on it! it is show quality!
john

160B 08-13-2015 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Duden (Post 1138648)
not any more they dont, i ended up ordering an original bumper from them and they sent it directly to Craig Riker, he did a Perfect job on it! it is show quality!
john

The question is did they triple plate, copper, nickel and then chrome? Anything less will eventually result in problems!!

BILL WILLIAMSON 08-13-2015 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skibb (Post 1138258)
For the 1930 Restro what is the "correct" bumper.
I thought it was stainless but so sure

Chief made a Model A bumper with 2 LOONG curved spring main leaves from some BIG old car, bolted them together with Model A spacers & it looked quite GOOD. Many spring shops made Model A bumpers, also, guaranteed NOT TO BEND!
Bill W.

Mike V. Florida 08-13-2015 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Duden (Post 1138648)
john

Got mine just in time then!