The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Crank pulley for divers helmet on 8 BA? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=262559)

gavinnz 04-29-2019 01:16 AM

Crank pulley for divers helmet on 8 BA?

I am having issues getting a double crank pulley to fit my 8BA with a divers helmet dizzy on it....
The narrow and wide belt 8BA ones could not be made to work.
So today I picked up a wide earlier pulley in the hope it would work, but that will still hits the dizzy body with the outer pulley....

Do I need to buy an early pulley with the wide pulley and the fan mount and attach a pulley to the fan mount??

What am I missing here guys?

I noticed that the earlier pulleys have the oil seal surface on the pulley and the 8BA has a seperate sleeve on the crank, I can turn that part off the early pulley to make it fit to the 8BA crank setup.

Brian 04-29-2019 01:44 AM

Re: Crank pulley for divers helmet on 8 BA?

Why destroy a pulley by machining off the seal surface? Why not simply remove the 8BA sleeve?
I don't know what you're missing. All early engines ran that style distributor, which double crank pulley are you attempting to fit up? The later post war version with the outer pulley about 4" in front of the back pulley? Why do you 'need' to run a double sheave pulley?

I answer every one of your questions with questions of my own!!

gavinnz 04-29-2019 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 1751889)
Why destroy a pulley by machining off the seal surface? Why not simply remove the 8BA sleeve?
I don't know what you're missing. All early engines ran that style distributor, which double crank pulley are you attempting to fit up? The later post war version with the outer pulley about 4" in front of the back pulley? Why do you 'need' to run a double sheave pulley?

I answer every one of your questions with questions of my own!!

Not destroying.... Modifying! The sleeve in the 8BA looks in really good condition and lots of the pulleys I have seen have lots of wear from the seal.

I think the pulley I picked up today might be from the engine with the crab dizzy?? The inner pulley will work but the out pulley lines up EXACTLY where the dizzy is deepest....

Plan to run the inner pulley to the engine water pumps then over a small idler gear above the dizzy. The outter pulley will run the marine water pump and my marine alternator below and either side of the crank, with the alternator pivoting to tighten the belt.

gavinnz 04-29-2019 01:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my mock up....

Brian 04-29-2019 01:58 AM

Get a pulley off a truck, it'll have double sheaves next to each other, like on the 'truck pumps', both belts will tuck in behind the distributor you're wanting to run.

gavinnz 04-29-2019 01:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Another....

gavinnz 04-29-2019 02:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Showing the mounting points....

Brian 04-29-2019 02:02 AM

What's that ugly looking pulley on the pump- 8BA? It won't line up with the early style crank pulley.

gavinnz 04-29-2019 02:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And the other side....

gavinnz 04-29-2019 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 1751896)
What's that ugly looking pulley on the pump- 8BA? It won't line up with the early style crank pulley.

Ignore that water pump pulley... It's just sitting there with a bolt holding it, to give me rough idea of the run of the belt.
I will be buying two new pumps to match to crank pulley when I get it sorted. :)

gavinnz 04-29-2019 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 1751893)
Get a pulley off a truck, it'll have double sheaves next to each other, like on the 'truck pumps', both belts will tuck in behind the distributor you're wanting to run.

That might be what I was missing then? Truck pump search begins! Thanks Brain.

gavinnz 04-29-2019 03:03 AM

I am going to hazard a guess that they are hard to come by?? I can't even find a good picture of one.

Ziggster 04-29-2019 05:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The crank looks very close to the dizzy. I'm hoping mine clears. Here is a shot of my truck pulley that was modified with a welded on third pulley. Not sure how everything mounted up as engine was in pieces when I purchased it. Engine (C69) originally had the crab style dizzy. Haven't heard of pulley clearance issues when mounting the helmet style dizzy.

Ziggster 04-29-2019 05:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
When I was at the machinist last week I mentioned that I don't need the third pulley and in fact I require only one pulley as I will be installing a rear mounted rad and fan. I mentioned that I would cut it off, but then he stated I needed to keep it as the crank pulley bolt needs to seat against it. Not sure as it was a home brew concoction. Also this pulley (in above pic) doesn't have the sleeve with the spiral groove for the oil. Pic of engine with helmet style dizzy. Appears pulley is tucked behind the dizzy. Wondering how a double row pulley will fit behind the dizzy?

gavinnz 04-29-2019 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggster (Post 1751912)
The crank looks very close to the dizzy. I'm hoping mine clears. Here is a shot of my truck pulley that was modified with a welded on third pulley. Not sure how everything mounted up as engine was in pieces when I purchased it. Engine (C69) originally had the crab style dizzy. Haven't heard of pulley clearance issues when mounting the helmet style dizzy.

What's the OD of your pulleys?

Ziggster 04-29-2019 06:07 AM

The pulley is at the machinist, but I'll call him when I get to work in an hour. Seems older flatheads either ran fan off the generator, or had a large spacer on the crank pulley to move it past the dizzy. I guess you won't be needing the fan.

gavinnz 04-29-2019 07:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Some cars had the single pulley in close and a fan mount out further.
Looking at mine tonight and using the block to the centre of the pulley figure you gave me of 36mm for your water pumps to calculate the distances... I have worked out that two side by side pulleys 22.5 wide each and a OD of 130.67mm, with the inner one running your pumps and generator.... WILL fit with the divers helmet dizzy.

I need to either get a double truck one of 130.67 OD or I can get another one like I have, cut off the outter larger diameter pulley and fit on another inner pulley to the outside.

I will pop off tomorrow to my parts man and see what I can find.

The pulley in the picture needs to go towards the engine more.... But you get the idea....

gavinnz 04-29-2019 07:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Pulley I have that if I had two I could make my own truck double pulley....

gavinnz 04-29-2019 07:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Another angle showing construction....

flatheadmurre 04-29-2019 10:41 AM

I have the truckpumps and sheaves including the one for the generator.
I also have the industrial 8BA solid steel front pulley if that could solve the problems.
That front pulley came off an engine with a huge generator big enough to light up a small town...