The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   CCA Cold Cranking Amps? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273146)

Gary WA 11-24-2019 06:58 PM

CCA Cold Cranking Amps?

What does your battery have for CCA? 6V, I have new one with 540CCA doesn't seem to be enough? Thoughts. Last one had 575 CCA.Motor turning over slower, then nothing? Starter?

gdmn852 11-24-2019 07:37 PM

Re: CCA Cold Cranking Amps?

Hello, check your cables and ground if they are too small of gauge ,it increases resistance, and a poor ground will also.CCA equal cold cranking amps higher rating more starting power, in basic terms.

d. 11-24-2019 07:40 PM

just FYI... the Optima 6v. rates at 800 cold cranking amps...lots of juice for many years, worth the $$.

The Master Cylinder 11-24-2019 07:55 PM

I have a Duracell 6v. It has 640 CCA. As mentioned clean your connections.

updraught 11-24-2019 10:06 PM

Try cleaning the battery terminal clamps. Sometimes they end up with a clear coating inside them. They look OK but aren't.

Then try some large jumper cables from the battery to the block and starter. A %6 difference in battery size doesn't seem much.

mike657894 11-24-2019 11:36 PM

my air compressor wouldnt go today I usually use this old half plug half switch outlet by the door it sits by. keeps popping the breaker running too slow wont run for more than 5 seconds. plug the cord into a different better outlet and runs like normal. i need to replace the combo switch/plug.

corrosion start with the battery clamps. do you have an extra ground strap? or clean up the splash pan connection points.

ryanheacox 11-25-2019 07:53 AM

There is also a slim chance that the new battery is just bad. It's happened to me before.

30 Closed Cab PU 11-25-2019 09:14 AM

Mine is a 535 CCA 6V from a farm supply store, 3 years old, I keep it on a battery tender over the winter, put it on a charger for a few minutes in the spring, and make sure to check the electrolyte with a bulb tester in fall and winter.

Here is an inexpensive battery load tester.
https://www.harborfreight.com/100-am...ter-61747.html

holdover 11-25-2019 09:23 AM

I second the HF load tester it is not expensive and works good. I have had one for near 10 years. A volt meter alone will not tell the true story of the state of a battery, the load tester will. In the old days we were able to check the specific gravity, but with sealed batteries that is no longer possible. If a battery does not seem to turn the starter like it should, I test it with the load tester, then I charge it and test it again. As others have said there have been times when a new battery was defective. Between vehicles and farm equipment I have over 20 batteries, the load tester is a great tool.

Curtis in MA 11-25-2019 09:28 AM

I have a load tester for 12v but will that work on 6v?

30 Closed Cab PU 11-25-2019 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis in MA (Post 1825090)
I have a load tester for 12v but will that work on 6v?

Yes, there are markings on the meter for 6 V, and for 12V readings.

30 Closed Cab PU 11-25-2019 11:11 AM

For $20 is inexpensive. If you know what the voltmeter reading should be, an alternate way is with the ignition off, engage the starter for a 5-10 seconds while monitoring a voltmeter at the battery, and it should not dip below a certain level. Then see what the battery is at when you are done.

If you are like me with poor memory, usually can not remember or find the info - prefer to spend the money on the tester.

Gary WA 11-25-2019 01:48 PM

I have a load tester-Bad Battery- twice. exchanged it same thing Bad Battery! Went to different supplier. Thanks for responses!

1931 flamingo 11-25-2019 02:07 PM

CLEAN THE GROUNDS AND THE CABLE ENDS.........................
Paul in CT

Gary WA 11-25-2019 05:29 PM

Did all the above! Battery no good times two. Different source today for new battery working Great! More CCA 670!

updraught 11-26-2019 02:22 AM

According to the "battery experts" the reason batteries don't last long in today's world is that new cars can have up to 300 computers in them.
That continual parasitic drain kills them, apparently.

However, you have just proved them all wrong. How do you feel?

Gary WA 11-26-2019 05:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Great!!!!

30 Closed Cab PU 11-26-2019 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by updraught (Post 1825371)
According to the "battery experts" the reason batteries don't last long in today's world is that new cars can have up to 300 computers in them.
That continual parasitic drain kills them, apparently.

However, you have just proved them all wrong. How do you feel?

True, my parents had a Buick Lesabre my dad had to put on a maintainer on it all teh time when not in use. They only drove it 1 or 2 times a month and the battery would drain. After replacing the battery 2x under warranty, Dealer GM mechanics told them nothing they could do, told them they had to drive it at least once a week to charge teh battery.

After teh Buick sat for 3 or 4 weeks, but does not explain why some are bad from the store, and will not charge up. Suppose they could have sat on the shelf too long and died.