The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   DynaBeads, yay or nay? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245966)

talfaro87 06-11-2018 11:54 PM

DynaBeads, yay or nay?

I have been told by some to use DynaBeads in my tires, and was wondering what the pros and cons were. Anyone have experience with these?

burner31 06-12-2018 01:33 AM

Re: DynaBeads, yay or nay?

Could not get them to go thru the stem, they are Sears tires from about 1963, I ran a piece of wire down the stem but there is a blockage, maybe they did the stems different back then.
But I could not get them to work for me.

HDowse 06-12-2018 04:55 AM

The previous owner put them in the new Goodyear tires on my '29 Coupe. The tires feel smooth and balanced at 45-50 mph. My guess is they are a good investment.

whizzernick 06-12-2018 05:39 AM

they work good. i recomend

aermotor 06-12-2018 05:42 AM

I use them and yes they are hard to get in. I noticed right away that the left headlight quit shaking and an overall smoothness. No exterior balance weights.

John

springerpete 06-12-2018 05:55 AM

They certainly are a choice to use but I prefer the stick on weights and a real spin balance. Mine have been on for over 5000 miles and are still good to go. Of course, mine is not a show car.

old31 06-12-2018 06:27 AM

Same as burner, I tried the beads but could not get them in the stem.

dr.j 06-12-2018 06:41 AM

Yes ! I have used them for years. Use a palm sander and place it against the stem; the vibration will allow the beads to fall into the stem / tube without any problem.

BILL WILLIAMSON 06-12-2018 08:24 AM

Minervas' 19" Firestones were TOTALLY, TOTALLY, TOTALLY SMOOTH, from 0 to 70 MPH,I "suspect" that Glen put Dyna-Beads in them, when he put the tires on, 6 Months before I bought her.
Bill Smooth

Big hammer 06-12-2018 09:38 AM

Dad’s Western Auto we didn’t balance tires, he only had to pay a couple times for come back issues. Maybe tires back then where better than today? and didn’t need balancing? Near the end of 45-50 business when I was a full time employee I tried to get dad to buy a spin balancer, but the cost was to much for dad :-( yes he Squeaked when he walked :-)

wensum 06-12-2018 04:01 PM

They didn't work for me and then there was the problem of removing them so that the wheels could be conventionally balanced. Perhaps my wheels were too far out of balance for the beads to work?

WHN 06-12-2018 04:16 PM

Just put on a set of Firestone tires.

No weights, no beads, no problems. Completely rebuilt front end, new springs and shocks, good wheels.

I have never had to balance a wheel on any Model A that I have owned. Am I just lucky or is the need for weights masking other problems? This is an honest question. Enjoy.

Y-Blockhead 06-12-2018 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHN (Post 1639384)
Just put on a set of Firestone tires.

No weights, no beads, no problems. Completely rebuilt front end, new springs and shocks, good wheels.

I have never had to balance a wheel on any Model A that I have owned. Am I just lucky or is the need for weights masking other problems? This is an honest question. Enjoy.

I'm curious. Do you check them or do you go by 'feel' when driving/ An then assume the are balanced.

A few years back I installed new tires and tubes and drove it for a few months. The car rode pretty good, even with the 'fake' nickel plated valve stem covers.

One day I got a wild hair and decided to check my tires for balance.

Holy Cow... let's just say they could use some attention. I then installed 4oz of Dyna Beads per tire and they made a smooth ride (or so I thought), even smoother.

Gary WA 06-12-2018 05:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Yay!!!! Work Great,I used an engraving tool to vibrate stem.

CarlG 06-12-2018 05:13 PM

I have them in my 550R19's and like them. Used a back massager to install them.

WHN 06-12-2018 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead (Post 1639393)
I'm curious. Do you check them or do you go by 'feel' when driving/ An then assume the are balanced.

A few years back I installed new tires and tubes and drove it for a few months. The car rode pretty good, even with the 'fake' nickel plated valve stem covers.

One day I got a wild hair and decided to check my tires for balance.

Holy Cow... let's just say they could use some attention. I then installed 4oz of Dyna Beads per tire and they made a smooth ride (or so I thought), even smoother.

I consider myself a car guy. Maintenance is very important to me. Everything must run right. Having said that. That’s why I asked the question. I had the front end and brakes along with new tires done by a very well know Model T and Model A shop. Car drives like a dream. I try to keep it simple stupid, very well maintained, as orginal as possible, and factory stock.

Did they come from the factory back in the day needing weights?

As I said. 60 years of Model A’s, and I have never balanced a wheel. Am I lucky or missing something? I don’t believe in fixing something that’s not broke.

denniskliesen 06-12-2018 05:59 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here's how I put my dyna beads in. I clamped a piece of 3/8 hose that I split to fit over the stem and clamped it so it would hold the valve stem out of the rim. Then I clamped the clear plastic hose that came in the kit to the top of the valve stem. I taped the bottle to the spokes and held my vibe sander on one of the clamps that was on the black hose. The beads just flowed in like water.

Y-Blockhead 06-12-2018 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHN (Post 1639415)
I consider myself a car guy. Maintenance is very important to me.

Didn't mean to insinuate that you were not. I was just curious if you ever checked them. I didn't when I first installed my tires and everything seemed OK... and it probably was. It is just better now that I installed the Dyna Beads.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHN (Post 1639415)
Did they come from the factory back in the day needing weights?

Haha, probably not but I don't know. But what were the roads like in 1930?

loubob 06-12-2018 07:12 PM

550R19's on my '30 coupe.
No beads, weights, or problems. Nice smooth ride.

WHN 06-12-2018 07:26 PM

[QUOTE=Y-Blockhead;1639453]Didn't mean to insinuate that you were not. I was just curious if you ever checked them. I didn't when I first installed my tires and everything seemed OK... and it probably was. It is just better now that I installed the Dyna Beads.

Haha, probably not but I don't know. But what where the roads like in 1930?[/QUOT

My main concern is that I might be missing something. I don’t drive over 50 mph. Lower speed with better roads could be the deciding factor.

Now you have gotten me thinking about checking the tires to see how well balanced they are. Mostlikely will not sleep tonight. Best regards, Bill.