The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Plug wires made easy ???? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=257393)

BUBBAS IGNITION 01-10-2019 11:43 AM

Plug wires made easy ????

13 Attachment(s)
There has been tons of discussion regarding spark plug cables. I have a couple customers wanting complete helmet distributor reman including plug wires.
I dont typically offer this set up based on the pure time required to make up a set of new solid core wires.
I have always knew the only way to get a good set of wires was to just set down buy the materials ( $$) and make them your self...:eek::eek:
So lets do that i will use a roll of solid wire from Napa, two side terminal caps, two side covers,two orings and eight brass terminals from brillman. ( note the brillman terminals are made with a snap bump to retain the wire inside the side terminal caps and solder thru to the solid wire ) no one else makes this terminal that i know off. So thats Napa wire , 3rd Generation boots, caps, and terminal caps. Some solder and wd40 and off we go...:eek:
After cutting the cable into 8 x 36 inch pieces ( 24 ft per car) trim the ends to fit into the brillman brass ends (using the pertronixs wire stripper), solder and belt sand smooth on the ends and install into the side terminal caps . I then use some Moroso wire numbers and heat shrink to the cables based on firing order per the Van Pelt firing order diagram from vanpeltflathead.com
Spray well with WD40 and slip the wires thru the cover two per side and twist in the assembly. Use the oring to hold together . Might help to use a old distributor to help line everything up.
Sounds easy right ??
Finish everything off with a cut to fit once on the engine and use rajah ends from Speedway Motors on the spark plugs....
:eek::eek::eek::eek::D:D
Enough for today , got to get to work, behind as usual....:eek:

51 MERC-CT 01-10-2019 12:10 PM

Re: Plug wires made easy ????

Where do Ya' get the white on black wire markers?
Moroso is the answer it appears after re reading :o

1931 flamingo 01-10-2019 02:00 PM

He mentioned Moroso...........................
Paul in CT

BUBBAS IGNITION 01-10-2019 02:45 PM

https://pitstopusa.com/i-5059130-mor...-1-thru-8.html

Actually i get them from my friend that owns Magtech in Indy .
https://www.magtechignition.com/

Vic Piano 01-10-2019 03:07 PM

I've done that on several Flatheads. If you think it's fun on an early V8, try it on a V-12. :eek:

BUBBAS IGNITION 01-10-2019 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic Piano (Post 1714751)
I've don't that on several Flatheads. If you think it's fun on an early V8, try it on a V-12. :eek:

But Vic i only have numbers that go up to 8??:eek::D

tubman 01-10-2019 07:41 PM

I have become almost addicted to Rajah spark plug terminals. I even put them on my '67 Corvette; NCRS be damned! I really like the way they positively attach to the wire.

Vic Piano 01-10-2019 08:14 PM

Jim, that could pose a problem. LOL :eek::)

fortyonerag 01-15-2019 06:25 AM

Many thanks! Ever tried talcum powder for lubing wires - easier if you need to resolder anything ;-)

A bones 01-15-2019 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubman (Post 1714837)
I have become almost addicted to Rajah spark plug terminals. I even put them on my '67 Corvette; NCRS be damned! I really like the way they positively attach to the wire.

I was once told, by a machinist, the original application was for oil heat burners.

JM 35 Sedan 01-15-2019 09:54 AM

We just put a rebuilt engine in Jeff's (very tangled) '35 Fordor Sedan. We made up a set of new plug wires from Belden solid core wire very similarly to what Bubba describes here. Instead of Rajah ends, we used soldered on closed loop terminals attached to plugs with knurled brass nuts. Good solid connections that look period correct.

BUBBAS IGNITION 01-15-2019 11:46 AM

https://brillman.com/product/brass-rajah-ring-terminal/

like this one ?

flatheadmurre 01-15-2019 12:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The real early ones ?
Like this...

JM 35 Sedan 01-15-2019 07:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BUBBAS IGNITION (Post 1716461)

Bubba, yes, we used terminals just like those, except they are nickel plated brass.

JM 35 Sedan 01-15-2019 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flatheadmurre (Post 1716476)
The real early ones ?
Like this...

That is the correct terminal originally used on a 35 Ford, but we didn't have a set of those, and since this is a driver rather that a show car, we decided to use a closed loop terminal similar to the one shown in Bubbas last post.

Gene1949 01-15-2019 09:54 PM

as always a great and informative thread, Bubba. Thankx

Drbrown 01-15-2019 10:58 PM

Double Gene1949's comment. Great summation of a long conversation. This Forum is the best !

Graeme / New Zealand 01-16-2019 01:21 AM

Bubba what do you use the Pledge for? ( other than polishing your workbench :) )

GB

BUBBAS IGNITION 01-16-2019 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graeme / New Zealand (Post 1716721)
Bubba what do you use the Pledge for? ( other than polishing your workbench :) )

GB

I am always amazed in what people see in a picture and have become somewhat carefull with the camera. The pledge , i love the smell i guess and yes i do clean the counter top every so often???:eek::D

SofaKing 01-16-2019 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BUBBAS IGNITION (Post 1716786)
I am always amazed in what people see in a picture and have become somewhat carefull with the camera. The pledge , i love the smell i guess and yes i do clean the counter top every so often???:eek::D

I went looking for the pledge and saw a table wearing pants and shoes...