The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   unisteer steering (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144523)

HELENT 07-16-2014 01:15 PM

unisteer steering

has anyone try the unisteer electric steering just order one for my 46

HELENT 07-18-2014 09:55 AM

Re: unisteer steering

just got all my parts from unisteer look great now the work starts tonight

40cpe 07-18-2014 10:46 AM

It looks like you will be the Ford Barn ginny pig. I scanned the instructions. Mounting the unit appears to be the biggest hurdle. It looks large, so the unit and the bracketry to mount it will require some room.

Keep us posted with your progress.

Andy 07-18-2014 12:26 PM

I wonder about the turning radius. A friend has a regular one under his 32 and it takes a mile to turn it. You can't U turn in a street.

40cpe 07-18-2014 12:54 PM

It might be easy to get products confused here. The original Unisteer was a rack-and-pinion unit that replaced your steering gear box. It had many complaints of wide turning radius.

HELENT 07-18-2014 01:09 PM

40 cpe the unit look like it will fit real good under the dash you con turn the motor up to get more room

butchbov 07-21-2014 11:27 AM

Is this it? http://www.unisteer.com/ If so, I haven't heard any good about them. They should be at the Street Rod Nats in Louisville weekend after this.

Also should say I don't know anyone who has the electric version.

HELENT 07-21-2014 12:12 PM

what i have is the electric version

HELENT 07-22-2014 07:13 AM

all the work is going good looks great my have going by friday

BILL WZOREK 07-22-2014 07:36 AM

With the electric version is there any steering if Power is lost?

HELENT 07-22-2014 08:03 AM

yes

expavr 07-24-2014 04:12 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by HELENT (Post 911235)
has anyone try the unisteer electric steering just order one for my 46

I have a Unisteer Electric PS unit in my 33 Chrysler hemi powered street rod. It makes a world of difference getting into tight parking spaces at events and parking in general. The unit senses torque and delivers power only when there is rolling resistance. It is heat sensitive so placement away from the exhaust system or in a location where it can get some cooling airflow should be considered during mockup. It makes for a very sanitary installation without the pump and hoses and takes no HP from the engine.

expavr 07-24-2014 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BILL WZOREK (Post 914479)
With the electric version is there any steering if Power is lost?

Yes. The steering reverts to good old fashioned "muscle power."

expavr 07-24-2014 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HELENT (Post 912206)
just got all my parts from unisteer look great now the work starts tonight

Does your car have IFS? If not are you cutting your steering column to install the power unit? That info with pictures showing the installation will be useful for anyone planning to keep the OEM Ford steering box.

HELENT 07-24-2014 07:43 AM

yes i am running the stock column looks great and clean will have pictures later if can learn how to post

expavr 07-24-2014 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HELENT (Post 915628)
yes i am running the stock column looks great and clean will have pictures later if can learn how to post

I'm looking forward to your photos. To Post: Click "Go Advanced," then "Manage attachments," then "Choose file" and get the photo from your Desktop or file location, then "Upload" and voila the photo will become an attachment to your message. The JPEG image must be reduced to 800X600 pixels before going thru the attachment process which I do in Photoshop. See the "Attachment Key" info box on the "Manage Attachments" screen if you want to use a photo format other than JPEG.
I think you will find that the investment in that Unisteer PS unit worth the money. Enjoy.....

41merc 07-27-2014 07:27 PM

How did it turn out?
How did you mount it?
Their tech people told me it needed to be anchored to the frame. Is that how you did yours?
I'd love to see pictures.
Thank you

alchemy 07-28-2014 10:08 AM

Isn't this the Ford Barn? I can understand talking about OHV conversions on flatheads, or maybe even electric fuel pumps, but electric steering conversions?

expavr 07-29-2014 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alchemy (Post 917957)
Isn't this the Ford Barn? I can understand talking about OHV conversions on flatheads, or maybe even electric fuel pumps, but electric steering conversions?

??????? Many of the topics on this forum such as T5 transmissions, Mitchell O/D's, 12V electrical systems, alternators, supercharging, travelogues, etc relate to the driveability or the enjoyment of our early Ford vehicles. The use of electric power steering to enhance our driving experience (like the use of an electric fuel pump) is IMO a topic that some on the Barn might be interested in considering. Kudos to HelenT for stepping up to the box and attempting that installation.

HELENT 07-29-2014 10:30 AM

thanks you