The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Drilling Antenna Hole in a 40 Wagon? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=268418)

philipswanson 08-25-2019 02:30 PM

Drilling Antenna Hole in a 40 Wagon?

Have any of you recently drilled the roof antenna hole in a 40 wagon? The instructions that came with the antenna are as clear as mud and I wouldn't want to drill a 7/8" hole in the wrong place. I have the little drill templet that came with it but how to place it is a mystery??? Are wagons done differently?

marko39 08-25-2019 03:51 PM

Re: Drilling Antenna Hole in a 40 Wagon?

Quote:

Originally Posted by philipswanson (Post 1791799)
Have any of you recently drilled the roof antenna hole in a 40 wagon? The instructions that came with the antenna are as clear as mud and I wouldn't want to drill a 7/8" hole in the wrong place. I have the little drill templet that came with it but how to place it is a mystery??? Are wagons done differently?

Do you have a copy of the factory manual? I got mine for my 39 from Drake and that is what you need. Many radios were installed by the dealer and that is what they used.

philipswanson 08-25-2019 06:37 PM

I have the factory shop manual. Not sure if it covers this though. Thanks, I'll check it out.

philipswanson 08-25-2019 08:09 PM

My shop manuals both make no mention of radio or antenna installation.

deuce_roadster 08-25-2019 11:26 PM

Your metal above the inside of the windshield should have a hole in it already with a brown rubber plug.
Remove the plug and there should be a hole in the wood header. Make a bushing that just fits this hole in the wood that has a 1/4 inch hole in the center of the bushing. This will be a pilot to center a 1/4" drill bit to drill from the inside, out through the tin on the outside. Then you can enlarge this with a step drill bit to the proper size. This hole through the wood and metal should be 90 degrees from the inside metal surface (ie will be in an upward direction. If you look at the antenna out of the car you can see how this must be for it to install.

philipswanson 08-26-2019 09:39 AM

Thanks Deuce Roadster. That should be a whole lot better than the templet I got which doesn't seem to work on the wagons.

philipswanson 08-26-2019 01:50 PM

There is no hole in the wood inside the rubber plug. I have a chrome piece though that I bought from a fellow woody guy that is made to cover the hole with the two 1/4 X 20 countersunk screws. I can make a bushing for that, about 3/4" and center a 1/4" drill in that. Do you think that will get it right?

deuce_roadster 08-26-2019 06:25 PM

If your chrome piece is the escutcheon for the antenna knob, that should line it up. Maybe the front wood header has been replaced somewhere along the line, or maybe it missed that step. Before you drill the hole, put a drill bit in the pilot hole in your bushing and eyeball it from the side while holding the antenna so you can compare the angle as there is a threaded part that a fiber bushing screws onto the antenna through the escutcheon. IF it looks right go ahead and drill the hole. There was metal reinforcing inside the top of the cowl that was close to the hole as I remember.
My wagon didn't have the antenna hole either and I went through what you are.

1931 flamingo 08-26-2019 06:35 PM

Sta/wagon antennas are different than regular car ones. FWIW
Paul in CT

deuce_roadster 08-26-2019 09:36 PM

IN 40 a Ford Station wagon and Convertible use the same antenna as most of the cowl is the same. Don't know about Mercury.

Clem Clement 08-26-2019 10:02 PM

Back in the day I put a radio in Mother's 41 Ford coupe. Ace Motors told me to put it on the passenger side as the gauges causes static on the radio