The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Bendix brakes (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=252181)

2manycars 09-28-2018 01:48 PM

Bendix brakes

1 Attachment(s)
I have recieved my Bendix brake conversion kit for my 40 Ford, and have painted and assembled it. When I am done going to car shows, I will start the conversion.

RalphM 09-28-2018 01:52 PM

Re: Bendix brakes

That looks nice, is that the Bob Drake kit?

LQQKER 09-28-2018 03:50 PM

What's going on the rear.

V8COOPMAN 09-28-2018 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LQQKER (Post 1680299)

The LOCKHEED-type Ford hydraulics will work just fine in the rear with those shiney, new front brakes. DD

2manycars 09-28-2018 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RalphM (Post 1680240)
That looks nice, is that the Bob Drake kit?

I got them from cornhusker hot rod parts.

2manycars 09-28-2018 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LQQKER (Post 1680299)

The lockheed brakes will be relined on the rear.

Jack E/NJ 09-28-2018 06:26 PM

I'm still holding out for FlatHeadTed's Bendix conversion kit for Lockheeds before changing anything. Jack E/NJ

FlatheadTed 09-29-2018 04:07 AM

Getting close

RalphM 09-29-2018 11:17 AM

I didn’t know you were working on a conversion Ted. Any hints, or still in design phase?

HDowse 09-29-2018 12:07 PM

That's a great series of pictures of you with your '40 on your website. Keep us posted on how the Bendix installation goes. I'd like to do the same on the fronts of my Fordor.

steve hackel 09-29-2018 12:28 PM

Hi Ted: as long as we all know that you are reafing these posts regarding the brakes and your up grades, could you possibly share with us some of the information and a picture or three of what those modifications might look like when installed on a backing plate? There are a lot of us impatiently waiting to view your efforts....😀

my4dv8 09-29-2018 02:51 PM

That’s what we want to hear Ted, getting close and right here in NZ. Bring it on.

29AVEE8 09-29-2018 04:44 PM

Just curious. Did you adjust the anchor pins with drums on prior to painting. If not you may have brakes that are not satisfactory. You may need to touch up the paint at the anchor pins after this procedure.

2manycars 09-29-2018 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 29AVEE8 (Post 1680617)
Just curious. Did you adjust the anchor pins with drums on prior to painting. If not you may have brakes that are not satisfactory. You may need to touch up the paint at the anchor pins after this procedure.

What anchor pins are you referring to? the large anchor at the top? Instructions say to leave it loose until the drum is on and the brakes adjusted tight, then tighten the nut and loosen the adjuster. There is only a very small adjustment on that top pin, so I am not concerned about a paint chip. It is not a concours car.

29AVEE8 09-30-2018 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2manycars (Post 1680638)
What anchor pins are you referring to? the large anchor at the top? Instructions say to leave it loose until the drum is on and the brakes adjusted tight, then tighten the nut and loosen the adjuster. There is only a very small adjustment on that top pin, so I am not concerned about a paint chip. It is not a concours car.

Yes, that is the adjustment I was referring to. And the procedure you referred to is what is needed.

rich b 09-30-2018 12:54 PM

"only a very small adjustment"

As small as it seems; it can have a big impact on brake performance.

FlatheadTed 10-01-2018 09:37 PM

Cannot say much yet , just a bit more testing
Ted
Quote:

Originally Posted by steve hackel (Post 1680556)
Hi Ted: as long as we all know that you are reafing these posts regarding the brakes and your up grades, could you possibly share with us some of the information and a picture or three of what those modifications might look like when installed on a backing plate? There are a lot of us impatiently waiting to view your efforts....😀

my4dv8 11-08-2018 02:49 AM

Any updates yet Ted on the brakes?

Ray Balukas 11-12-2018 04:56 AM

Hi all, I plan on updating the brakes on my 37 this winter. Presently lockheeds. My plan was to go with the bendix setup. I'm curious if the bendix in the front and lockheeds in rear are a better way to go, or personal preference. I'm using the wide 5 drums. Thanks Ray

V8COOPMAN 11-12-2018 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Balukas (Post 1695269)
Hi all, I plan on updating the brakes on my 37 this winter. Presently lockheeds. My plan was to go with the bendix setup. I'm curious if the bendix in the front and lockheeds in rear are a better way to go, or personal preference. I'm using the wide 5 drums. Thanks Ray

Ray.....Keep in mind that it's hard to improve on 100% of anything, and properly-functioning Lockheed brakes ON THE REAR of the car are completely capable of locking-up the tires upon application. Placed on the REAR of any car, the dynamics of braking function is much different than the percentage of the load that FRONT brakes must endure. When you hit the brake pedal, weight on the wheels and tires transfers toward the front of the vehicle. The rear brakes then need only to produce much less in the way of force required to resist tire/wheel rotation. In other words, the rears are essentially capable of handling their percentage of the load, but the fronts (Lockheed) are over-taxed at best. The "mixed" combo works quite adequately. DD