The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Removing caked on grease and crud (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=240627)

wrndln 03-11-2018 09:52 AM

Removing caked on grease and crud

I typically beadblast most of the parts in am restoring. However, it is very hard to blast off grease and grease laden crud. Usually the grease is also covered with dirt and other crud. I can scrape off some of the crud with a putty knife, but grease is hard to remove and beadblasting grease takes forever to remove. I would like a chemical that is easy to dispose of, not a solvent based liquid. I know petroleum based degreasers work well, but hard to dispose of when the part(s) are degreased. If someone has found a good, cheap degreaser that I can pour in a pan to submerge the part in to remove most or all the crud before beadblasting, would you post it below?
Rusty Nelson

Steve Plucker 03-11-2018 09:58 AM

Re: Removing caked on grease and crud

When I cleaned up my early 1929 Tudor parts, I used Simple Green. It not only left the original paint but did a good job on losening up the hard grease and grime.

However...if the part is left in the Simple Green to long...it will also work on the old paint also. 24 hours was best for me.

Pluck

wrndln 03-11-2018 10:03 AM

Thanks, Steve for the tip.
Rusty Nelson

Russ/40 03-11-2018 10:39 AM

A pressure washer with a recovery area works best. A plastic tarp and a kiddie pool make the recovery area. Then the cleaner of choice. I use mineral spirits. Never had much luck with non-petroleum solutions.

captndan 03-11-2018 10:56 AM

Soak in diesel.

redmodelt 03-11-2018 11:03 AM

Clean/scrape the heavy curd off and have hot tanked.

1crosscut 03-11-2018 11:06 AM

On parts and pieces that can handle heat use a torch to heat the grease until it burns out the oils. Will blast clean easily then.

Oldbluoval 03-11-2018 11:15 AM

Scrape as best you can
Oven cleaner in the sun
Hot water/pressure wash

BILL WILLIAMSON 03-11-2018 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldbluoval (Post 1603728)
Scrape as best you can
Oven cleaner in the sun
Hot water/pressure wash

And a stiff, aggressive wire brush.
Bill Tired

SeaSlugs 03-11-2018 01:10 PM

i soaked parts on kerosene for long periods and it turned the caked grease back into grease. Usually a stiff brush i could brush it off or putty knife scraped it off much easier.

Synchro909 03-11-2018 04:43 PM

If the parts are small enough, I submerge them in a drum of caustic soda and connect the battery charger to it and an electrode also hanging in the caustic. I vary the current by increasing/decreasing the amount of electrode in the caustic so I use all the charger can put out without going off the scale. Sometimes, it is just a piece of sheetmetal offcut, sometimes a piece of rod so it works for the whole length of the component.
Parts come out with out paint.

Vin-tin 03-11-2018 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldbluoval (Post 1603728)
Scrape as best you can
Oven cleaner in the sun
Hot water/pressure wash

X2 on the oven cleaner. It works and can be bought at the dollar store.
Scrape off most of the crud with a putty knife before using the oven cleaner.
Might take a second application to get really thick crud off.

vern hodgson 03-11-2018 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vin-tin (Post 1603907)
X2 on the oven cleaner. It works and can be bought at the dollar store.
Scrape off most of the crud with a putty knife before using the oven cleaner.
Might take a second application to get really thick crud off.

Yep, oven cleaner, scrape the thick stuff and spray, may require several apps.

wrndln 03-11-2018 07:16 PM

Thanks all for the degreasing tips. Looks like oven cleaner and maybe electrolysis is worth a try.
Rusty Nelson

hardtimes 03-12-2018 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrndln (Post 1603950)
Thanks all for the degreasing tips. Looks like oven cleaner and maybe electrolysis is worth a try.
Rusty Nelson

If using oven cleaner, make sure to wear a mask ! It will only take a small wiff of that stuff in your nose to show why a mask is necessary. It cuts grease well though.

If you are concerned regarding environment and disposal, remember; 'a drop of DAWN and the grease is gone' ! Liquid dish soap that is.

old car guy 03-12-2018 06:13 PM

The oven cleaner will do the trick. But be mindful when you are brushing it ,to wear a long sleeve shirt and gloves and most importantly good eye protection. That stuff will burn like hades. And forget it if you get into your eyes. Cleaning the parts is great. but not at the expense of your eyesight. And the mask as hardtimes suggested is mandatory also.

chap52 03-12-2018 06:37 PM

Check You tube for electrolysis methods and results.
I like Super Purple. Auto Zone has it on sale quite often.

wingski 03-12-2018 06:57 PM

Rusty, if you want to use something that is safe and doesn’t screw everything up, use Dawn dishwashing liquid soap. It doesn’t even bother my hands although I do use a hand moisturizer and my hands aren’t all cracked and dry.

I mix it 50/50 with water and let stuff soak overnight, and it softens just about anything. You are still going to have toxic crud leftover, but it’s better than solvent or other hazardous stuff.

If it removes grease and oil from those poor Exxon ducks, it will soften that grease and crud of yours so it’s easy to wipe or brush off.

Mike

Larry Jenkins 03-12-2018 07:14 PM

Scrape off the excess with a chisel. Then, using good rubber gloves, apply some methylene chloride (paint remover.) Let set, then scrape again with a chisel and some coarse steel wool. Wipe clean with Mineral Spirits to remove residual oils. Gets you down to sanding prior to priming and paint.

1927Tudor 03-12-2018 08:48 PM

X2 on super purple. If you haven't used it before, you will be amazed at how it cuts thru 90 years of muck.