The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Recommendations for a book on body repair? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238247)

jrd-28 01-30-2018 01:22 PM

Recommendations for a book on body repair?

Hi all. I'm working on the body for my 28 Tudor. Is there a good source of info on how to disassemble the steel parts, how to repair or replace the wood, typical problem areas, roof installation, stuff like that? I see the green volume 2 book, but I couldn't tell what kind of depth it went into.

Thanks in advance for any hints

Cool Hand Lurker 01-30-2018 06:43 PM

Re: Recommendations for a book on body repair?

Here's a couple of ideas.
For general how-to-do bodywork the library has some materials. Search the internet for YouTube videos or forums on bodywork and Model A's. For sure search this site for how-to on particular problems because most everything has been discussed here at one time or another.
That will get you started. Good luck, have fun!

Cool Hand Lurker 01-31-2018 11:05 AM

I am surprised that there have not been many answers to your question. Strange.

I am not an expert but I have learned a lot from past discussions on Fordbarn and even more from attending club work sessions. That is where you will be able to watch how it is done and get your questions answered. I think you should be able to locate a Model A club in your area if you go to the national club's directory. There are two clubs, the Model A Ford Club of America (MAFCA) and the Model A Restorer's Club (MARC). Their websites are www.mafca.com and www.model-a-ford.org where you can find out more. They also have a lot of restoring information.

Tinbasher 02-01-2018 07:33 PM

Auto Body Repair and Refinishing by John Hogg. A good text book from the 70's that all of the rest have been written from. Check Amazon used books you should be able to get one there.

Ronald 02-02-2018 07:23 PM

Tinbasher has published a book on working with autobody sheet metal . A should have for the beginner.

Larry Jenkins 02-02-2018 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrd-28 (Post 1586227)
Hi all. I'm working on the body for my 28 Tudor. Is there a good source of info on how to disassemble the steel parts, how to repair or replace the wood, typical problem areas, roof installation, stuff like that? I see the green volume 2 book, but I couldn't tell what kind of depth it went into.

Thanks in advance for any hints

JRD..

I have a book called "Auto Body Repairing and Painting" written by Bill Tolboldt, Copyright 1972. Almost brand new. Blue cover; almost an inch thick.

I will give I to you if you pay the postage. I will need your Name and address.

Larry Jenkins

Larry Jenkins 02-03-2018 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Jenkins (Post 1587810)
JRD..

I have a book called "Auto Body Repairing and Painting" written by Bill Tolboldt, Copyright 1972. Almost brand new. Blue cover; almost an inch thick.

I will give I to you if you pay the postage. I will need your Name and address.

Larry Jenkins

Can't even give stuff away.. Would estimate about $30 bucks worth..

Larry Jenkins 02-04-2018 12:39 AM

Offer now removed.

Y-Blockhead 02-04-2018 01:04 AM

He hasn't been back since his original post...

Gary WA 02-04-2018 12:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Any Local Automotive Tech Schools in your area that still does body work on older veh,sit in on some classes,or is there such a thing as Tech Schools any more??

BillCNC 02-04-2018 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Jenkins (Post 1588003)
Can't even give stuff away.. Would estimate about $30 bucks worth..

Hi Larry,

Been down that road, ...

Now if I decide not to sell stuff like that I donate it. I give my old manual's and magazines to the local High School's, ... they eat them up like no tomorrow and I know it's helping someone instead of just rotting in a landfill.

Regards
Bill

Larry Jenkins 02-04-2018 05:05 PM

Being older, we visit Goodwill regularly..

Tom Wesenberg 02-05-2018 01:22 AM

Guys that doctor at the VA hospitals like car books and magazines.
I drop off mine when I go, and they don't last long.