The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Removing Coupe Seat (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=215032)

lrjones 02-17-2017 10:46 AM

Removing Coupe Seat

I'm going to remove the seat in my 31 coupe. I have found a few posts about it. I see there are 6 screws on each side of the seat bottom that hold the frame to the pan, and there is a piece of fabric between the seat back cushion and the back shelf that is tacked in, but it feels like the top of the back cushion is attached to something somehow. I guess I would like to know what to expect before I dig into it. Not sure if the back cushion just lifts up like the cushion in the rumble seat or what. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

H. L. Chauvin 02-17-2017 11:09 AM

Re: Removing Coupe Seat

Lots depends on "who" did "what" and "when."

FWIW:

Some time ago I called for advice from a Lebaron-Bonney technician knowing that these tech experts do this all day .... every day.

The person I spoke to had experienced the "upholstery inventions" of just about every upholsterer in the World.

One call to one of these L-B technicians may give several clues as to the correct way, and/or clues to several "upholstery inventions" they have experienced in the past.

leo 02-17-2017 12:37 PM

Hey H. L. Chauvin, I believe you may be giving the techs at LeBaron-Bonney more credit than they deserve. I recently conferred with them about seat covers for my 1930 coupe and they knew nothing more than I did. Quote from their person knowledgeable in these matters, "I have spoken with a few of our production staff and the consensus is that it is not feasible to try making a cover that would work because of the frame and the need to staple. There would not be a way to secure it properly without the possibility of damaging the upholstery you are trying to protect. With that said, my personal opinion is that if you were to bring the car to a local shop, they may be able to come up with something fitted to your car that would work for you." So, you can call them but don't expect an epiphany. I think all the old timers who used to work there are gone and the current staff is in OJT mode.

H. L. Chauvin 02-17-2017 03:15 PM

Hi Leo,

Thanks for the tip. I had called L-B about fifteen (15) years ago. And thanks for your thoughts like:

"I think all the old timers who used to work there are gone and the current staff is in OJT mode."

I also have been running into this same sort of thing every day in my work. Like the old country song, "Who is going to fill their shoes?" LOL

lrjones 02-17-2017 03:53 PM

I was thinking that there is some way the back rest part of the seat fastens to the wood frame. That is what it appears to be. I believe the rumble seat back cushion fastens to the rumble lid by sliding it over 2 hooks that are bolted to the rumble lid. I'm sure the factory had a way of fastening these that was easy for the workers.

KGBnut 02-18-2017 08:08 AM

If I recall correctly, once you undo the ties on the backside (through the trunk) and undo the accordion strip (that piece from the top of the seat-back to the package tray), you have to lift the whole thing up and inch or two before you can pull it forward.

I remember that I wrote detailed instructions a few years ago when I the upholstery in my '30 coupe. I will have to look through my old posts.

Ken

lrjones 02-18-2017 08:39 AM

Thank you Ken. I found your posts from 2013. I'll try it today.

KGBnut 02-18-2017 08:41 AM

That's funny. I was just looking for it myself. Glad you found it. Good luck.

Ken

Ronald 02-19-2017 11:31 PM

Remove the seat and at the bottom of the backrest you will find a clip held with two screws about 12" from each side.