The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Hershey cancelled (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=281752)

Oldbluoval 05-28-2020 06:02 PM

Hershey cancelled

Just got the email

JOHN CT 05-28-2020 06:51 PM

Re: Hershey cancelled

It is with great regret that the AACA Hershey Region Executive Board informs you that the 2020 Hershey Fall Meet has been cancelled. This decision was not arrived at lightly. Our Club prides itself on producing a world-class event that thousands of people anticipate every year, so we felt the heaviest of burdens when faced with this decision.

While making the difficult choice to cancel, the Board took many obstacles into account, including but not limited to: the health and welfare of our volunteers, vendors, partners, and visitors; the unknown restrictions and/or guidelines that may be in place at the time of our show; and the volunteer-only workforce we rely on to prepare for a show of our magnitude.

We appreciate you understanding how difficult this decision was for the Executive Board to make. We know that some people will be upset by the decision and others will applaud it. Either way, please know that the Hershey Region Executive Board has acted in what they believe are the best interests of the Club, and we ask for your continued support as we navigate these unprecedented times.

Refund information will be sent very soon in regards to all payments already received by the Hershey Region AACA.

Please know that we continue to explore ideas to benefit the hobby and are working toward the possibility of still hosting our usual car show on Saturday in October. While this may not be doable, AACA and the Hershey Region along with other constituencies are working hard to make this possible. Please visit our website and social media as often as possible for the latest news.

Hershey Region AACA

Hershey Region AACA | PO Box 305, Hershey, PA 17033 [email protected]; www.hershey.aaca.com

blgitn 05-28-2020 06:55 PM

Aw shift.

ronn 05-28-2020 07:00 PM

the beginning of the end...............

Ranchero50 05-28-2020 07:25 PM

I knew this year would be a bust and joked about 2020 being the year we did nothing but dang it... Spring Carlisle is still a couple weeks away and I'm waiting for the governor to nix it too.

McMimmcs 05-28-2020 07:37 PM

A very prudent and intelligent decision made on the part of their organization. They should be congratulated for caring about the buyers, sellers and Vendors .

jimalabam 05-28-2020 08:08 PM

I agree. Wise decision under the circumstances...

dean from bozeman 05-28-2020 09:19 PM

Though I understand the rationale behind it, I am crushed. I really love going to Hershey. Realizing that I will have to wait almost a year and a half until the next one is a tough pill to swallow.

McMimmcs 05-28-2020 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dean from bozeman (Post 1893173)
Though I understand the rationale behind it, I am crushed. I really love going to Hershey. Realizing that I will have to wait almost a year and a half until the next one is a tough pill to swallow.

I agree with you Dean but I have no desire to rub elbows with 200,000 potential disease carriers. My car hobby is far less important than my health and my life. I can wait !

Jack Shaft 05-29-2020 08:15 AM

H2N3 hong kong flu ran across america,killing 100,000 and sickening 1.5 million.What response did 'we' have? Woodstock,putting a man of the moon and fighting the war in Vietnam..1969

We only pass through here once,the only constant we can be assured of is death..practice common sense? yes,and mourn the dead..but keep on living..

leo 05-29-2020 08:27 AM

This decision is a bit premature because Hershey is over 4 months away. The Hershey AACA should have waited to see what develops over the next 2 - 3 months as the country begins to reopen and then made a decision based on more recent and conclusive data.

Oldbluoval 05-29-2020 08:39 AM

The problem in timing is the advance planning and cost thereto
Now if they weren’t going to refund registration fees....proceed on and see where the world is at Labor Day and then thumbs up/down. If no refunds on cancelling those paid would be plenty p@&)’d
This way registrants get the money back and all is well....
But loss of the event is difficult on vendors and registrants in our psyche
I thank them for the considerate, thoughtful and decision made

30 Closed Cab PU 05-29-2020 09:01 AM

Hope this does not set off a firestorm of posts, but I want to give the organizers the benefit of the doubt.

If they had decided to go ahead with it, and the event created a "hot spot" of infections (it would only take 1 person) - it could end Hershey forever. Lawsuits, Insurance issues, etc.

If they had waited to decide and had to cancel last minute - the inconvenience/disappointment of attendees was a probably a consideration. Other important considerations are issues of vendors, hotels, restaurants, retail, security, etc. - dealing with a cancellation after ramping up for the meet.

Same with the people putting on the meet, would have been a lot of wasted effort/resources. Cancelling after arranging for insurance, police, vendor fees/permits, advertising, site preparation, security, etc, etc.

The organizers are in a tough spot - would be criticized with either decision yes/no to putting on the meet.

77Birdman 05-29-2020 09:43 AM

Dissapointed but not surprised. I think the timing is fine. Although it is a day of decision for me to go, as I am only half hour away, I would guess that the majority need to make plans months in advance.

leo 05-30-2020 12:00 PM

And the lunacy of the dealing with the corona virus pandemic continues to grow while tort reform continues to be ignored forcing everyone to base their decisions about anything on how to avoid being sued........

Kentmac 05-30-2020 02:42 PM

Amen to leo's comment.

ronn 05-30-2020 05:29 PM

and whether or not it is true- heard Carlisle is still on................. today.

Synchro909 05-30-2020 06:16 PM

Hershey cancelled - good news, bad news. By the time you add them together, it doesn't matter much. What would matter is if they went ahead and just one or two infected people attended, the bad would get to be VERY bad. With the numbers of people you have infected over there, it would almost be a certainty that the bug would be present in the crowd so it's probably the right decision.

McMimmcs 05-30-2020 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synchro909 (Post 1893775)
Hershey cancelled - good news, bad news. By the time you add them together, it doesn't matter much. What would matter is if they went ahead and just one or two infected people attended, the bad would get to be VERY bad. With the numbers of people you have infected over there, it would almost be a certainty that the bug would be present in the crowd so it's probably the right decision.

Totally agree. In 200,000 people there has to be some infected. I've only missed 2 in 25 years but there is nothing I need or want at Hershey worth dying for.

dumb person 05-31-2020 06:44 AM

Member the tell of capt'n walker.
Right now we has the pictures & the video to member of all we'd lost.
The pocky lips took it all away.