The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   radius ball felt pad installation in bellhousing. (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=213390)

B-nut 01-24-2017 09:45 AM

radius ball felt pad installation in bellhousing.

Working on a 1928 Model A with a later transmission. About to put the rebuilt transmission back in. Is the felt oiler pad in the bell housing held in place by the radius ball bolt locking pin? Seems too thick a pad and there was no pad when I pulled the transmission to go by. Thanks

P.S. 01-24-2017 09:49 AM

Re: radius ball felt pad installation in bellhousing.

Yes, that is what holds it in.

I cheated and drilled a hole through the pad and put the pin through it. Will probably get scolded for that, but it works.

JDupuis 01-24-2017 09:55 AM

P.S. Is right. I've done that too. Remember to put a bit of oil or gear oil on it for lubrication of the radius ball. Jeff

Tom Wesenberg 01-24-2017 10:05 AM

I also put the pin through the felt on my first one years ago, but most of the time I bend the felt to form a V, then the pin fits the center over the V.
As JD said, put lots of oil in the felt after installing it.

Mitch//pa 01-24-2017 10:05 AM

It squeezes in tightly under the pin

Tom Endy 01-24-2017 12:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The pin holds the felt in place. Photo shows how I position it. The way to install it is to slide the pin in and use a large screw driver to push it down to compress the felt. Tap the pin the rest of the way in with a small hammer.

Tom Endy

P.S. 01-24-2017 12:42 PM

Tom Endy's word is gospel. Go with that.

Synchro909 01-24-2017 04:06 PM

On one of my cars, the heads of those bolts have receded so far into the housing that the pin does nothing. I have had to make new bolts with higher heads to catch the pin. Where do I get a new bell housing????:confused:
I can see that sometime in the future, I will have to drill out the bolt holes and sleeve them get back to standard.

CarlG 01-24-2017 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synchro909 (Post 1418943)
... Where do I get a new ball housing????:confused: ...

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/radius-ball-kit

You may be able to find this down under as well.

Tom Wesenberg 01-24-2017 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synchro909 (Post 1418943)
On one of my cars, the heads of those bolts have receded so far into the housing that the pin does nothing. I have had to make new bolts with higher heads to catch the pin. Where do I get a new ball housing????:confused:
I can see that sometime in the future, I will have to drill out the bolt holes and sleeve them get back to standard.

I've had to make small diameter spacers to lift the bolts up. It will outlast me and the owner.:)

SeaSlugs 01-24-2017 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 1418955)
I've had to make small diameter spacers to lift the bolts up. It will outlast me and the owner.:)

same - some are really bad some not so much - not a great design... vibrations from the road and the fact they are spring loaded act like miniature air hammers just hammering away at the cast iron. Might not be a bad idea to check the tightness of them every 2-4 years...

Synchro909 01-24-2017 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlG (Post 1418954)
http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/radius-ball-kit

You may be able to find this down under as well.

Carl, Thanks but I made a typo. Should be "Where do I get a new BELL housing"
Next time the motor is out, I'll have to do something about this.

katy 01-24-2017 05:47 PM

Bell housing or flywheel housing?

100IH 01-24-2017 06:42 PM

If you notice in post #9. in the upper corner you'll see the felt from Snyders. Thick enough to be for 2 pads. Must be drilled out or somehow modified to not bend the long pin. Good material but a printed note with suggestions would be welcome. Even if the 2 bolts are shimmed up to engage the pin, the felt is way too thick. Tough stuff to cut.

CarlG 01-24-2017 07:37 PM

A good used Bell housing or Flywheel Housing, either one could be had at Bert's or Arizona Model A. Just make sure you specify that it has to be crack free. Snyders carries a "new" aluminum Flywheel Housing.

TerryO 01-24-2017 08:28 PM

Quote:

On one of my cars, the heads of those bolts have receded so far into the housing that the pin does nothing. I have had to make new bolts with higher heads to catch the pin. Where do I get a new bell housing????:confused:
About a year ago one of the national club's magazine had an article that said to cut a small coil spring into rings and insert the ring in the recess to raise the bolts to a proper height. I did the repair and it worked very well. I don't remember the size of the spring but I bought it at ACE. It works well because it is thin enough to fit right in the hole without any grinding.

TerryO

SeaSlugs 01-24-2017 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TerryO (Post 1419090)
About a year ago one of the national club's magazine had an article that said to cut a small coil spring into rings and insert the ring in the recess to raise the bolts to a proper height. I did the repair and it worked very well. I don't remember the size of the spring but I bought it at ACE. It works well because it is thin enough to fit right in the hole without any grinding.

TerryO

I think i used a piece of 1/4-1/8" pipe nipple... or an old bushing out of something... something i had laying around was used and fit nice snug fit on the bolt and no bigger than the diameter of the head.

Synchro909 01-24-2017 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlG (Post 1419076)
A good used Bell housing or Flywheel Housing, either one could be had at Bert's or Arizona Model A. Just make sure you specify that it has to be crack free. Snyders carries a "new" aluminum Flywheel Housing.

Thanks again, Carl but no chance at either place. We need RHD and I have yet to come across any supplier over there who even knows there is such a thing (except Arizona Model A)

Katy,
Bell housing or flywheel housing?

The bell housing is where the bolts and felt are located and that's what I need.

Drive Shaft Dave 01-24-2017 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 100IH (Post 1419048)
If you notice in post #9. in the upper corner you'll see the felt from Snyders. Thick enough to be for 2 pads. Must be drilled out or somehow modified to not bend the long pin. Good material but a printed note with suggestions would be welcome. Even if the 2 bolts are shimmed up to engage the pin, the felt is way too thick. Tough stuff to cut.

I sliced the thickness of the felt pad in two, plenty of material to fit tight under the pin.

B-nut 01-25-2017 06:58 AM

Thanks for all the helpful comments guys!