The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Installing a LB Deluxe interior in a 30 coupe (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64413)

Deluxe Delivery 03-06-2012 10:44 AM

Installing a LB Deluxe interior in a 30 coupe

7 Attachment(s)
I am not a professional, but have done a few interiors in my day. A friend has contracted me to install his LeBaron Bonney interior kit in his ( formerly standard) Coupe. This is the most fun anyone can have IMHO and I intend on posting my progress...just for fun ! Shown is the stripped interior and the existing upholstery before I strip the springs. I already posted the stripping and finsihing of the woodgrained moldings for this job. I'll keep track of the hours spent and try to post daily updates. I can't believe I get to have the fun and he foots the bill ! What a hobby !:)

1931 flamingo 03-06-2012 12:02 PM

Re: Installing a LB Deluxe interior in a 30 coupe

Some guys have all the fun.
Paul in CT

TinCup 03-06-2012 12:07 PM

Were you able to reuse the springs? My seat bottom is the original in the car and it is wore out. If the road is bumpy enough I can tell you everything that is stored under the seat:).

Deluxe Delivery 03-06-2012 01:16 PM

Yes, they were broken and brazed and welded in a few places, but I used "sleeves" and made the repairs. I also tightened them up with smaller spring connectors. That is the repaired, painted original spring in the interior photo. Tincup, Hope you don't keep anything tall and pointed under there !

Deluxe Delivery 03-09-2012 09:21 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Sorry for the delay, it's been so nice here that I have been sandblasting my new cowl and gas tank outside ! Here is some progress on the install, along with time involved: install wiring & domelight, sort out and inventory all the LB components, repair & paint bottom springs,install burlap, padding and upholstery on bottom cushion...3 hours
Clean seat wooden frame, paint springs, install bottom front strip, seatframe side padding and upholstery, burlap, padding and upholstery on seatback, and install on frame...7 hours !
Tack in headliner, cut and fit around domelight, install one side strip and 3 rear panels,and rear window blind brackets...3 1/2 hours. ( Pictures do not necessarily correspond with written description)..Havin' a ball...doin' something A every day !:D

Deluxe Delivery 03-09-2012 09:24 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are pics of the finished seat. Sorry I didn't take more pics in the process...was having too much fun to stop !:)

TinCup 03-09-2012 09:51 AM

I am doing the same kit in just a couple of weeks. It will be on the late 31 coupe in my avatar. Metal seat frame will be a challenge. Here is what I have been doing for the last week. 1930 Town Sedan

spike 03-09-2012 10:38 AM

next thing you know you will be gettiong ride of that pottery and it will be all model A,s lol keep up the good work and have fun...Denny in Jackson mich

TinCup 03-09-2012 10:45 AM

How did you get by with doing that seat in the living room?

Deluxe Delivery 03-09-2012 11:52 AM

Yeah, Spike, my employees are gettin' nervous ! Thats not my living room. It is the main showroom in my pottery. It is a century old building and that is a real stage the seat is on. It is huge and is just the right heighth to work on upholstery. It is right behind my customer checkout counter, so I can work on upholstery, turn around and wait on a customer. It is also the cleanest place in my shop, the downstairs area is very dusty from pottery and model A rust ! Havin fun with A's every day ! ( and pretending to work !)

TinCup 03-09-2012 05:49 PM

Do you have a picture of the package tray?

Deluxe Delivery 03-10-2012 07:34 AM

7 Attachment(s)
Today's installment includes: Installing windlace around passenger door, windshield moldings, kick panels, header panel, rear view mirror and dash...4 1/2 hours. for a total to date of 18 hours. Again, the pictures may or may not correspond to what I am describing. At the same time I am also working on putting together a workable Zenith and having sandblasted my tank and primered it, am sloshing around the Eastwood gastank etch. Doin' something A every day ! :D

Deluxe Delivery 03-10-2012 07:37 AM

Sorry about the sideways pics...I righted them before uploading...but they still come out the way they want ! A's are easier than computers !

1931 flamingo 03-10-2012 08:46 AM

Did you also woodgrain those moldings for this coupe??
Paul in CT

Deluxe Delivery 03-10-2012 11:33 AM

Yes, Paul,I did. I detailed the woodgraining in an earlier post. You told me "you can do mine next!" I replied I "wood" be happy to !

Deluxe Delivery 03-11-2012 09:19 PM

11 Attachment(s)
Next I installed the windlace on the door, the door panel, all clips and molding. Did the panels on side #2, drivers door windlace and door clips...4 hours.
Finally, the escutcheon plates, handles, drivers door panel and molding. Install the seat "flaps and bellows" which insulate the passengers from the trunk and installed the seats, tacked the trim to the package tray and installed the tray. Installed the carpet and brushed it all clean...5 hours.
The final pics are of the coupe ready for the customer to drive it home. Total time to install interior and prepare and woodgrain the 8 moldings...42.5 hours....of fun !:p NEXT !

Brentwood Bob 03-12-2012 11:54 AM

pm sent. bob

TinCup 03-12-2012 12:15 PM

The interior looks like a completely different color in outdoor light.

29ModelA 03-12-2012 12:22 PM

Man I don't know what I am going to do when my wife wants the interior for her car. I can't say I have the time or patience for that...

That looks GREAT by the way!

DaveB 03-12-2012 01:31 PM

Ididn't see any signs of insulation in your pics. You did put some insulation in the car prior to installing the interior didn't you ???