The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Oil Pan baffle (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260275)

TJMack 03-11-2019 04:02 PM

Oil Pan baffle

I had to take my oil pan off because the threaded ring for the drain plug was spinning and not allowing the drain plug to come out. I've got to fix that, but I'm wondering how the oil pan baffle comes out of the pan. It appears to be just held in by "bumps" on the sides of it that fit into similar recesses in the sides of the pan. But it seems to be too tight for only that. Is there a trick to getting the baffle out?

whirnot 03-11-2019 04:06 PM

Re: Oil Pan baffle

Several threads about that, many just drop it about 6 feet on to the ground. I just grab it in both hands and whack it flat on the wood bench

Ted Duke 03-11-2019 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whirnot (Post 1735211)
Several threads about that, many just drop it about 6 feet on to the ground. I just grab it in both hands and whack it flat on the wood bench

Times 2

Kurt in NJ 03-11-2019 04:28 PM

Baseball bat --- handle end into oil pump hole, other side of pan under overhang of stair tread, dropping it makes a splashing mess of sludge, bat spreads pan some and lifts tray-- pipe works too

davehc 03-11-2019 05:08 PM

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...baffel+removal

daveymc29 03-11-2019 06:31 PM

Pour the oil out and let it lean against something to drain the last bit out before dropping upside-down on lawn or dirt.

denniskliesen 03-11-2019 06:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Don't drop it on anything. That's caveman. Do this... It pops right out with a clamp and a piece of wood.

TJMack 03-11-2019 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denniskliesen (Post 1735278)
Don't drop it on anything. That's caveman. Do this... It pops right out with a clamp and a piece of wood.

Thanks to all who responded. I like this one best. :-)

dbaldwi3 03-11-2019 07:37 PM

I used a pry bar as I didn’t have a baseball bat and it popped out with a little force but I like the wood and c clamp idea.

TJMack 03-12-2019 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJMack (Post 1735287)
Thanks to all who responded. I like this one best. :-)

This worked like a charm. it took literally 30 seconds to set up and pop the baffle out. Thanks again for posting.

The only problem I had was after I took the baffle out and cleaned it up I set it outside the garage. When I put the oil pan back on I had forgotten to put the baffle back in. "Out of sight, out of mind". Its so annoying when ya' do something stupid!! Fortunately I hadn't put the oil in before I noticed it, so it took less than an hour to fix.

Something I learned, that most of you probably already know, was to remove the small pipe plug on the side of the block and stick one of the pan bolts in to hold the oil pump in place while installing the pan. If I was going to do this very often I'd make a little tool to screw in the hole that would hold the pump more securely.

CarlG 03-12-2019 08:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TJMack (Post 1735683)
Something I learned, that most of you probably already know, was to remove the small pipe plug on the side of the block and stick one of the pan bolts in to hold the oil pump in place while installing the pan. If I was going to do this very often I'd make a little tool to screw in the hole that would hold the pump more securely.

You need to be careful putting a threaded bolt in that hole. Those are pipe threads and can be screwed up very easily. The vendors sell a couple different styles of a tool that is used just for that purpose. Pictured below is one that Snyder's sells. Just add this to your next order, it's only $6, you can't make one for that.

Smooth_One 03-12-2019 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJMack (Post 1735206)
I had to take my oil pan off because the threaded ring for the drain plug was spinning and not allowing the drain plug to come out. I've got to fix that, but I'm wondering how the oil pan baffle comes out of the pan. It appears to be just held in by "bumps" on the sides of it that fit into similar recesses in the sides of the pan. But it seems to be too tight for only that. Is there a trick to getting the baffle out?

This might not work for everyone but...... Just pull them apart.
I know I might be younger than some on here but that’s how I got mine apart.
And believe me it the two parts had been married since the beginning as told by the sludge I cleaned out.

TJMack 03-13-2019 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlG (Post 1735714)
You need to be careful putting a threaded bolt in that hole. Those are pipe threads and can be screwed up very easily. The vendors sell a couple different styles of a tool that is used just for that purpose. Pictured below is one that Snyder's sells. Just add this to your next order, it's only $6, you can't make one for that.

That's exactly what I was thinking of. And you're right; for $6 why try to make one. Thanks for posting that.

BTW. I used a bolt that wouldn't actually thread in. It was a smaller diameter but large enough to be stable enough to hold the pump.

Railcarmover 03-13-2019 02:55 PM

Dipper tray and oil baffle..way more important as a dipper tray,it how your rods get oil