The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   150 Year Old Trick (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117025)

Ken Crans 09-10-2013 03:31 PM

150 Year Old Trick

Did anybody watch Gas Monkey last night? Seems they were going to change out some heads on a 34 Cabrolet. They drained all the anti-freeze,poured something into radiator(wouldn't say what it was) Turned on engine ,brought it up to boiling point. Shut off engine and take off nuts ,take head off and take out studs? Insight?WTF? Ken:eek:

OhioRick 09-10-2013 03:37 PM

Re: 150 Year Old Trick

I believe I heard it was Marvel Mystery Oil. Didn't they break some head bolts in the process?

Fordors 09-10-2013 03:49 PM

I have no idea why it would work but it sure looked like Marvel Mystery Oil was poured into the radiator. It was poured from a MMO jug and was red in color. The show is better than most car related reality shows, but Aaron sure doesn't know his '32's. He said they were putting "commercial headlights" on the Cabriolet. Not only were the new lamps stainless, he described the difference with the commercial lights being as larger and having a different lense.

bobH 09-10-2013 05:01 PM

In general, they are hackers. Lots of butcher work. And, yes, their accuracy often lacks. I'm still entertained, and don't take it too serious. IMO, quality work can't be forced to a trumped-up schedule.

Vic Piano 09-10-2013 05:18 PM

All these trumped up "reality" shows :eek: are about as far from reality as you can get,;) especially when it comes to "automotive" shows. They are generally cheap to produce and they fill a niche for what is referred to as "automotive programming". They basically give you a chance to yell at the television for something other then a sports event.;) In their defense, (the producers that is), it is difficult to condense all that goes on into an hour or half hour format, as an hour program usually has only 40+ minutes of actual program content.

Model A Bill 09-10-2013 05:40 PM

Didn't we go through this a few months ago with these guys:rolleyes: I hate to be negative, Sorry.I just can't stand this show.

Bill

felix37 09-10-2013 06:10 PM

Just a heads up! I'm involved with a new reality show that is being filmed at our shop (Honest Charley Garage) called "Back road Gold" It features Corky Coker and our shop manager Greg Cunningham as they travel the country side in our 53' Ford shop truck looking for that elusive barn find. I will say that all the cars found are real finds, and most of the cars we have done have been done to a pretty high standard, as we are a restoration shop. I have not been privy to view the final edited first episode, but I can tell you that most of these cars took several months to transform, so I'm not sure how it will be edited, but I can tell you there will be no fake drama, throwing of tools,bleeping every five seconds, non of the typical Speed Channel, Spike TV stuff. This show will be on the Travel Channel and is aimed at a different demographic that will appeal to woman as well as men, telling more of a the story behind the car and the people that owned them as well as the transformation and sometimes the reuniting of the car with the original owners. Our first episode is scheduled to air October 23rd on the Travel Channel. I will keep you all posted on what time as I find out more closer to it's debut.

34pickup 09-10-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by felix37 (Post 723402)
Our first episode is scheduled to air October 23rd on the Travel Channel. I will keep you all posted on what time as I find out more closer to it's debut.

I hope you can get it on Hulu or somewhere on the net for those of us who don't have cable or sat tv.
Sounds better than whats out there now.

texas webb 09-10-2013 09:22 PM

Felix I'm sure many would like to know more.Keep us up to speed on this.
Thanx,Webb.

felix37 09-10-2013 09:34 PM

34pickup, there is a show that we were on called "Car Warriors" (Speed Channel)That is on HuLu. search Car Warriors/T-Bird episode It's a show where two teams/shops go up against each other in a build off with 48 hours to transform their cars. In our case each team was given a 1962 T-Bird, each in identical condition and 48 hours to complete them. The 48 hours was totally real! The winners of the build get to keep their car. The show was hosted and judged by Jimmy Shine. Check it out!