The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What spark plugs are you currently using? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272445)

DannL 11-10-2019 04:07 PM

What spark plugs are you currently using?

Yeah, consider this a poll. Give the brand and part number of your plugs. Are you happy with them?

160B 11-10-2019 04:14 PM

Re: What spark plugs are you currently using?

Champion 429 Spark Plug AKA Champion 3X

Very happy with the 3X

F.M. 11-10-2019 04:24 PM

Ditto, Originals and Reproductions

AL in NY 11-10-2019 05:00 PM

Running original 1930's vintage Champion 3X plugs. They run great. Wouldn't consider anything else!!!

30 Closed Cab PU 11-10-2019 05:33 PM

W18s, happy with them, 3076 were too cold.

DannL 11-10-2019 05:57 PM

Champion W16Y. The car runs good, but do have some fouling. We're working on it.

rfitzpatrick 11-10-2019 06:01 PM

What does it mean when you said they're to hot/cold plz. I really don't understand.
Thanks

Conaway2 11-10-2019 06:37 PM

Just installed Champion 3X’s last week - very happy so far with them.

160B 11-10-2019 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfitzpatrick (Post 1819966)
What does it mean when you said they're to hot/cold plz. I really don't understand.
Thanks

Spark plug heat range is the measure of how fast the spark plug tip dissipates combustion heat. It must do this in a precise and controlled manner so the spark plug will:
Stay cool enough to avoid pre-ignition and/or electrode destruction due to detonation.
Run hot enough to burn off combustion deposits that would otherwise collect on the sparkplug insulator tip and cause fouling, that leads to misfire.
Adapt to specific engine characteristics and widely varying driving/load conditions.

"Hot" spark plugs remove heat from the combustion area relatively slowly. They have a longer insulator tip and they achieve a temperature higher than the deposition zone relatively fast.
"Cold" spark plugs feature a relatively short insulator tip and they remove heat from the combustion area quite fast, in order to avoid advanced ignitions.
The choice of a proper heat range is very important. But even a spark plug featuring a properly selected heat range, is influenced by the processes of fouling and self-cleaning of the insulator tip. The setting of combustion deposits on the insulator tip is caused by an imperfect combustion due to a "rich" air/fuel mixture. On the other hand, the combustion deposits previously set will burn if the insulator tip temperature rises above 475 °C.
Zones of spark plug fouling and self-cleaning zone depending on the air/fuel ratio and on the spark plug insulator tip temperature.

https://www.briskusa.com/spark_plug_...at_range_chart

Werner 11-10-2019 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfitzpatrick (Post 1819966)
Thanks

Internal combustion engines run at different temperatures. If more specific power, the combustion chamber gets hoter temperature. (Very simplified explanation.)

Simply explained: The hotter engine burns needs the colder the ignition plugs must be. (This interpretation is unfortunately not uniform; in Japan, the standard designation, for example, vice versa. I do not know USA.

Rule of thumb: Hot engine need 'cold' plug. Cold engine 'hot' plug.

For me, the global standardization of of the interpretatin "a plug is hot or cold" is difficult to explain.

If the spark plug does not get hot enough, it will become sooty. If it overheats, there is dangerous high speed knocking!

Bob-A 11-10-2019 08:06 PM

Champion W18's with a Pertronix FlameThrower coil!:cool:

Bob-A:D

Patrick L. 11-10-2019 08:23 PM

3077 Autolite. Been using them for probably 30 years, wish I could still find them.

There was a recent similar thread.

The Master Cylinder 11-10-2019 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick L. (Post 1820011)
There was a recent similar thread.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ght=spark+plug

supergnat 11-10-2019 09:45 PM

The current 3X’s I’ve seen have dual grounds (I think that is what they are called). Is that an improvement/. Are they good for our Model A’s?

F.M. 11-10-2019 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supergnat (Post 1820037)
The current 3X’s I’ve seen have dual grounds (I think that is what they are called). Is that an improvement/. Are they good for our Model A’s?

Pictures of them, both styles can be seen in the Restoration Guidelines..

The Master Cylinder 11-10-2019 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supergnat (Post 1820037)

Interesting, I have not seen a dual ground 3X.

F.M. 11-10-2019 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Master Cylinder (Post 1820044)
Interesting, I have not seen a dual ground 3X.

That is because their is none....

jw hash 11-10-2019 10:25 PM

I have been running original champion 3X`s in my Victoria for over 25 years. and I also run repro, 3X`s in the 160A. with unleaded fuel the plugs last a lot longer, the 16Y`s are to cold for me.

Boston Bruce 11-10-2019 11:05 PM

Champion 3X

supergnat 11-10-2019 11:08 PM

Boy, Am I red faced. 😱. I was mistaken. The online photos have a shadow which makes it appear as though there is a second ground. I apologize for the oversight.