The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   1930 Tudor Head Liner Falling Down (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19924)

Bill in NJ 11-07-2010 08:13 PM

1930 Tudor Head Liner Falling Down

I have an old headliner falling down up front at the woden header panel. It looks like the head liner is not attached to the first bow. Is it supposed to be attached?? Thanks for your help in advance.

dave in australia 11-08-2010 01:41 AM

Re: 1930 Tudor Head Liner Falling Down

I'm unsure of the A headliners, but it sounds like the small loops that are stitched on the back of the liner has either torn or come un-stitched. If you take it to an auto upholsterer, they should be able to give you a quick evaluation.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 11-08-2010 06:27 AM

Bill, the bow and the header are two different things. It is very possible the headliner material is rotten causing it to shear. I can upload a picture showing what is under the headliner material if you like.

Bill in NJ 11-08-2010 07:03 AM

A picture would be nice if you have the time :).The head liner needs to be restapled to the header panel and then the filler piece of material installed with rear view mirror.

When I was trying to do this the old headliner semed to be hanging low from the first bow and when I put my hand on the other side of the headliner it did not feel like any extra material was there to attach it to the bow. Should it be attached to the first bow is my question??

BRENT in 10-uh-C 11-08-2010 07:46 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Here's some...

Aerocraft 11-08-2010 08:54 AM

The headliner is not attached to the first bow. The headliner material is attached to the wooden header over the windshield and the cardboard trim (covered with headliner material) is tacked to the header. That acts as a support for the headliner should tighten the material so that it doesn't droop. Gar Williams

Zeke...PA 11-08-2010 10:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of the headliner going in, staples to bow, Zeke

F6Forrest 11-08-2010 10:49 AM

If I may ask, what wood is used for the framing?

Tom Wesenberg 11-08-2010 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F6Forrest (Post 108949)
If I may ask, what wood is used for the framing?

All the repro wood kits I've seen use OAK, but the original wood in my 29 Tudor is MAPLE, including the top bows.

pat in Santa Cruz 11-08-2010 12:36 PM

The preferred wood used by coach builders back in the day was ash. It was plentiful, strong and flexible. Today its hard to get, especially since the infestation by the ash beetle, and white oak is often substituted. I believe Morgans are still framed in ash. Henry had large forests of ash, oak, maple and birch. Maple was used as frame and top bow wood on station wagons, with the floors made of ash and/or oak planking and panels of birch plywood. Most original A sedan framing and sub framing I have seen is ash, which looks very similar to oak. I would not be surprised to find any of Henry's lumber stock used in coach framing. If they ran short of one kind of lumber, I'm sure they would substitute another in order to keep production going.

Paul's Garage 11-08-2010 07:26 PM

Get pictures and information--thanks

CWPASADENA 11-08-2010 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill in NJ (Post 108844)
A picture would be nice if you have the time :).The head liner needs to be restapled to the header panel and then the filler piece of material installed with rear view mirror.

When I was trying to do this the old headliner semed to be hanging low from the first bow and when I put my hand on the other side of the headliner it did not feel like any extra material was there to attach it to the bow. Should it be attached to the first bow is my question??

Hi Dave;

In looking at the pictures very carefully it appears to me that the head liner attaches to every other bow, Starting at the header and skipping the first, third, fifth and seventh bow. I would think there is someone who can varify what I suspect is correct.

Chris