The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   29 Tudor rear window shade question (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229115)

fred93 09-13-2017 08:49 PM

29 Tudor rear window shade question

1 Attachment(s)
I am restoring a 29 Tudor Standard. There was no interior in the car when I started working on it. I have the old interior (don't have any idea if it is original or not) The rear window shade has small eyelets on each end of the old shade that is supposed to have a string running from the top area (around where the shade roll is attached to the body and it goes down from there).

Does anyone have any pix of where the string attaches top & bottom.

I found one pix of the attachment at the bottom but I don't know if it is correct-it looks like the string is held in place with a thumb tack-see attached pix

700rpm 09-13-2017 08:54 PM

Re: 29 Tudor rear window shade question

Quote:

Originally Posted by fred93 (Post 1526968)
I am restoring a 29 Tudor Standard. There was no interior in the car when I started working on it. I have the old interior (don't have any idea if it is original or not) The rear window shade has small eyelets on each end of the old shade that is supposed to have a string running from the top area (around where the shade roll is attached to the body and it goes down from there).

Does anyone have any pix of where the string attaches top & bottom.

I found one pix of the attachment at the bottom but I don't know if it is correct-it looks like the string is held in place with a thumb tack-see attached pix

The picture is correct. You have to find the wood frame back there, though, to put that tack into.

100IH 09-14-2017 08:57 AM

A thumb tack with a longer spike helps to hold it in place. Head is painted with the color on the garnish trim. Slightly lower or higher is a way to keep it in place, fresh wood. Keep the string parallel. The picture shows the tack too far down in my opinion. You don't want or need to over extend the shade roller, just to the edge of the metal frame.

fred93 09-14-2017 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 100IH (Post 1527098)
A thumb tack with a longer spike helps to hold it in place. Head is painted with the color on the garnish trim. Slightly lower or higher is a way to keep it in place, fresh wood. Keep the string parallel. The picture shows the tack too far down in my opinion. You don't want or need to over extend the shade roller, just to the edge of the metal frame.

Where is the tack positioned at the top--any pix? Looks to me like it is directly behind the shade roll???

duke36 09-14-2017 11:27 PM

Recollection is the guide string ties to the shade roller end brackets; perhaps someone has a photo. Some factory photos show the bottom tack just below the window frame bottom, not down so far as in the photo.

Bill Cilker 09-14-2017 11:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Fred
Here is a picture of the Shade string on my 1931 Vicky. the string has a knot on the end and goes through the hole in the shade bracket from the shade side. Then over the top of the shade bracket and down the inside to the the tack below the window. See pages 12-13 & 14 of the latest revision of the restoration guidelines.

fred93 09-15-2017 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Cilker (Post 1527444)
Fred
Here is a picture of the Shade string on my 1931 Vicky. the string has a knot on the end and goes through the hole in the shade bracket from the shade side. Then over the top of the shade bracket and down the inside to the the tack below the window. See pages 12-13 & 14 of the latest revision of the restoration guidelines.

Thanks for the photo. I so hate it when I get into things that someone else has taken it apart.

I have the restoration guidelines book but it is are not the latest revision. Do I need to purchase a new book? And where do I get that?

And BTW what kind of string is used?? Is it available somewhere??