The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Anybody else quit Ebay because of fees and tax? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284700)

37 Coupe 07-28-2020 11:25 AM

Anybody else quit Ebay because of fees and tax?

I was supposed to look at a set of five wheels and tires and an engine and transmission right before the virus hit early spring or March. Seller was close by50 miles or so but opted out and told me he would contact me later when everything lifted.Well he never commited and put everything on Ebay and now they hit you with taxes so thats okay but just wonder what that has done to items not $100 but hundreds of dollars? I did see where he got $3,500 for the engine that a widow said was rebuilt but no paper work or any proof.I may have been able to tell if I had the opportunity to look at it but he wanted $4,500.00 at that time,price of a rebuild. Now with taxes items like this really ad up t final payment.

jak 07-28-2020 01:54 PM

Re: Anybody else quit Ebay because of fees and tax?

i've been selling a lot of stuff on instagram and facebook marketplace. No fees.

Oldbluoval 07-28-2020 01:59 PM

I still look occasionally but trade seldom; sell almost never
The reason(s) I’ve backed off include fees but also misrepresentation and......
There’s seldom
Anything of interest. People list junk and very common parts that are not worth shipping charges. Unfortunately same can be said of most “for sale” sites.......
Redundant nothings

Chris in WNC 07-28-2020 02:27 PM

I'd quit eBay tomorrow if there was an alternative with the same numbers.
It was great 20 years ago but has gone steadily downhill.......

in fairness to eBay, the sales taxes were forced on them by the states who did not like missing out on all that gravy.......

Jeff/Illinois 07-28-2020 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jak (Post 1913910)
i've been selling a lot of stuff on instagram and facebook marketplace. No fees.

I'm not on FB but a number of my friends, are.

They all buy and sell via that today, none of them do E-Bay for the reasons mentioned. They all have said that they had had enough.

Patrick L. 07-28-2020 04:31 PM

I guess I'm not very tech savvy, don't use facebook or anything like it. Heck I'm lucky to figure texting/email.

I've had good luck with eBay. But I try to be careful of what I buy and who from. I do use it less since they started charging tax., But, I don't buy much.

McMimmcs 07-28-2020 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 37 Coupe (Post 1913867)
I was supposed to look at a set of five wheels and tires and an engine and transmission right before the virus hit early spring or March. Seller was close by50 miles or so but opted out and told me he would contact me later when everything lifted.Well he never commited and put everything on Ebay and now they hit you with taxes so thats okay but just wonder what that has done to items not $100 but hundreds of dollars? I did see where he got $3,500 for the engine that a widow said was rebuilt but no paper work or any proof.I may have been able to tell if I had the opportunity to look at it but he wanted $4,500.00 at that time,price of a rebuild. Now with taxes items like this really ad up t final payment.

With 185 million users I dont think you'll be missed!)

John Dayhuff 07-28-2020 05:32 PM

Whats Ebay?

GPierce 07-28-2020 06:11 PM

Are they still around? I thought they had self destructed.

WHN 07-28-2020 06:39 PM

I think ebay has a place.

As with any buy/sell location, it’s not for everyone.

Enjoy.

Synchro909 07-28-2020 07:03 PM

Every now and then, I look at Model As on ebay but I find I'm doing it less and less frequently these days. There are hardly any Model A by the time you take out the hot rods (should not be called a Model A) and dealers. I get really peeved when I see a chopped and lowered Model A with a V8 engine and automatic transmission listed as a Model A. IT IS NOT! Ebay ignore their misrepresentation. The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) is an independent authority that promotes competition and honesty between businesses and consumers. I wouldn't be surprised to see them take action in the courts against ebay for their deception. BTW, the ACCC began an action against Google only a few days ago for not properly informing people about how their data was going to be used before collecting it and selling it on. I hope eventually, these companies learn that what might be acceptable in one jurisdiction may not be in another. We take pride in fairness.
Rant over but don't prod me!

charles=fla 07-28-2020 08:02 PM

hi lookin for narrow bed,,spacers from bed to fender and front stake pocket rusty ,used ok thnks stay safe..

woofa.express 07-28-2020 08:09 PM

[QUOTE=Synchro909;1914023]Every now and then, I look at Model As on ebay but I find I'm doing it less and less frequently these days. There are hardly any Model A by the time you take out the hot rods (should not be called a Model A) and dealers. I get really peeved when I see a chopped and lowered Model A with a V8 engine and automatic transmission listed as a Mode

it's called MURDER

ronn 07-29-2020 05:44 AM

I stopped selling on ebay about 10 yrs ago- due to fees and donahue banging the sellers..............
with that said, still a good place to list or buy a car for around 125 in fees. (buyer beware)

As a buyer, I went from spending 1500. a month to about 200 a month, all due to NJ sales tax. That started a little over a yr ago.

My money my choice.

2935ford 07-29-2020 07:13 AM

With the dollar difference US to Cdn and fees/taxes, ebay is no longer an option for me.

37 Coupe 07-29-2020 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronn (Post 1914134)
I stopped selling on ebay about 10 yrs ago- due to fees and donahue banging the sellers..............
with that said, still a good place to list or buy a car for around 125 in fees. (buyer beware)

As a buyer, I went from spending 1500. a month to about 200 a month, all due to NJ sales tax. That started a little over a yr ago.

My money my choice.

This is more inline with what I kinda used the wrong wording on my subject "quitting Ebay".More hesitant or conservative is actually what I should have said. I never gave it much thought in the last 50 years to pay a pretty high dollar for a nice part mayby a NOS part for a Model A or an Early V8 but now to have to include tax on something made 90 years ago? Last fall I opted out of a Ford parts live/online auction that charged a 15% buyers premium on top of state sales tax.

Ruth 07-29-2020 10:40 AM

Well even Amazon.com and Snyder's charges sales tax now so you can not just hang that on eBay. About the only way to get around paying sales tax is to live in a state that does not charge sales tax. :p:p

ronn 07-29-2020 11:00 AM

true Ruth. why many in NJ have taken a post office box in DE.

I may do that in the future, but that is prohibitive with large parts and I dont need another house, located in DE.

Ruth 07-29-2020 11:11 AM

ronn, you can send your parts to my address in Oregon if you wish to avoid sales tax. I'll send you a list of what you need. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

37 Coupe 07-29-2020 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruth (Post 1914250)
Well even Amazon.com and Snyder's charges sales tax now so you can not just hang that on eBay. About the only way to get around paying sales tax is to live in a state that does not charge sales tax. :p:p

I don't think it matters now where you live or what you buy over the internet or from Snyders or Brattons you pay state tax.I am not hanging it on Ebay they are only going by the law that went into effect last year. I do not mind paying tax on a part I need where it is taxed on a stated price. It is just tough to pay an additional tax on an item thats value is based on the last high bid. A $1,000 1939 For Deluxe grill for example.