The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Late V8 (1954+) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Looking for a little knowledge (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=331920)

Patrick brophy 10-11-2023 08:46 AM

Looking for a little knowledge

When I obtained my 1957 Thunderbird it had a 292 motor,with a 3 speed manual transmission.

As I started to work on the car,and spend money on the car ,thing just started to snowball.

Before long I had the engine out and the block being boiled out ,and then the block was bored out 60 over,,the heads redone etc..you all get the picture.

Enter the wife. What's that? Me,that's a stick shift.

Wife,are you telling me that after spending all this money,I will not be able to drive this car.

So now after finding a complete engine and transmission out of a 1957 Thunderbird, and rebuilding both,I have no need for a few "extra"parts.

I have a 292 bored 60 over block,with the crank,cam,bellhousing,pressure plate,clutch disc,clutch petal linkage and two incomplete heads. They were done more then ten years ago and now have some surface rust from siting on the shelve.i do not have the oilpan,nor the valley pan.

I was wondering if a few of you had bought or sold anything similar, and could give me some idea of what it is worth. Getting tired of moving it.

Thanks,Patrick

tobby 10-11-2023 04:30 PM

Re: Looking for a little knowledge

i wish you were closer, i just purchased a 1957 ranchero without an engine or transmission and it looks like you have what i need........ tobby

58Yeoman 10-11-2023 04:54 PM

tobby...DAY TRIP!

GLAmes 10-12-2023 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobby (Post 2261960)
i wish you were closer, i just purchased a 1957 ranchero without an engine or transmission and it looks like you have what i need........ tobby

I guess it depends on how badly you want parts. I drove to Iowa for my engine block and to Detroit for my NOS glasstop. I have two parts cars. One came from Nebraska, the other from South Carolina.

KULTULZ 10-12-2023 08:28 AM

Quote:

enter the wife. What's that? Me,that's a stick shift.

Wife, are you telling me that after spending all this money,i will not be able to drive this car.
hee ... hee ... ;)

Ford blue blood 10-12-2023 08:47 AM

KULTULZ that's too funny!

GLAmes 10-12-2023 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick brophy (Post 2261872)

I was wondering if a few of you had bought or sold anything similar, and could give me some idea of what it is worth. Getting tired of moving it.

Thanks,Patrick

I'm thinking $2500-$3000. I seriously wouldn't consider anything less than $2000 unless you are really tired of it.

cos 10-12-2023 11:39 AM

Hello From engine side Z-bracket back, it is same as car. TB with 292 had a light duty trans, as I remember. Joe over on Y-blocksforever forum had a set up like yours (1955) for sale a while back after he went to 5 speed in his TB don't recall his price.

Patrick brophy 10-12-2023 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KULTULZ (Post 2262099)
hee ... hee ... ;)

Cold blooded...

KULTULZ 10-12-2023 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick brophy (Post 2262158)

Cold blooded...

I've been chained ... er ... married to the same woman (my little thumbscrew) for fifty-one years.

I know how it works ... ;)

Gene F 10-12-2023 06:19 PM

May I ask....If you finish it, and then start taking her on errands in it, is there a chance she'd say "I think I can drive this if you teach me" ?

How close are you to getting the car going?

Patrick brophy 10-12-2023 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gene F (Post 2262232)
May I ask....If you finish it, and then start taking her on errands in it, is there a chance she'd say "I think I can drive this if you teach me" ?

Close. Getting ready for final paint.

Patrick brophy 10-12-2023 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gene F (Post 2262232)

The last time I taught someone to drive a stick,she drove my 300ZX thru an intersection and up a embankment.
That left a mark. No more lessons for me.

Daves55Sedan 10-12-2023 09:09 PM

Patrick, let us know if you can sell it and where you advertised it so I can do same to get rid of my spare 292 and a couple of transmissions too.

Patrick brophy 10-13-2023 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan (Post 2262271)
Patrick, let us know if you can sell it and where you advertised it so I can do same to get rid of my spare 292 and a couple of transmissions too.

Will do.

Steve in Denver 10-13-2023 10:37 AM

My wonderful Wife can drive a stick, but would rather be chauffeured around anyway.

Daves55Sedan 10-13-2023 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve in Denver (Post 2262362)
My wonderful Wife can drive a stick, but would rather be chauffeured around anyway.

I am sure your wonderful wife is happy to ride shotgun with you in any of your jalopies. All she has to do is sit back, enjoy the scenery and the ride. Besides it's good to know that she can drive a stick-shift, in case something happens to you on the road where you would need medical attention. Most girls nowadays run away from stick-shift cars.

GLAmes 10-13-2023 07:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not only can my wife drive a manual transmission, she drove this rig 155 miles to home after I got so sick on a fishing trip that I couldn't drive. She had never pulled a trailer before but she had driven the truck.

Patrick brophy 10-13-2023 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLAmes (Post 2262113)
I'm thinking $2500-$3000. I seriously wouldn't consider anything less than $2000 unless you are really tired of it.

Thanks GLAmes, I was hoping for a number close to that.

I have been out of the used parts for some time at this stage, but I was a junk rat back in the day and had a better idea of what things were worth.