The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Slightly O.T. - Looking for info on best car trailer winch to purchase (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=213538)

JM 35 Sedan 01-26-2017 04:34 PM

Slightly O.T. - Looking for info on best car trailer winch to purchase

I would really appreciate some hands-on personal experience type information on car trailer winches. Looking to buy a quality winch at a reasonable price with an ~ 8-10k # capacity rating. I'm really not interested in getting some super cheap deal from Harbor Freight.
I would be using this on an open or closed car trailer, but would also like to mount it so that it could easily be transferred to a front or rear 2"x2" vehicle hitch reciever. Thanks in advance for any help on this.

awelker 01-26-2017 04:50 PM

Re: Slightly O.T. - Looking for info on best car trailer winch to purchase

I have a Superwinch S5500 (5500lb) on both my enclosed and open trailers and are very pleased with them. They also make a 7500lb version, but the 5500lb doesn't work very hard pulling my race car on.

I also got the synthetic rope on both of these hoping it would last longer with trips to Bonneville. Definitely not the cheapest winch but seems pretty well built compared to other models I have seen.

Angledrive 01-26-2017 04:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
John, I put a Harbor Freight 12,000 lb unit ($400.00) on my trailer and have had zero problems. Need to make sure cable winds back in with some tension. I am happy with it.
Tom

rotorwrench 01-26-2017 04:59 PM

Warn Makes a decent one that was available through Summit Racing the last time I looked. You have to do some looking to find the Warn mount though since they don't come with one. Warn makes one that fits a flat deck trailer and they may also make one that fits a hitch plate so that it can be removed more easily. Most of them are made to fit a bumper so it takes a while to find the info on them.

I have a harbor freight one that came on my roll back trailer but the previous owner twisted the frame work on it. It still works but it looks like hell. I don't think I will go that route when I get a new one.

Ron Pilger 01-26-2017 05:04 PM

I bought a 12,000 lb. Warn winch twenty years ago.. It was 10 years old then. A workhorse! It asks for nothing but gives plenty.

flatford8 01-26-2017 05:34 PM

You can use one like awelker said. You'll be pulling a free wheeling load. If you plan on going muddin'.... then you would need the 10-12k one..... Mark

rotorwrench 01-26-2017 05:45 PM

A 8K winch is fine for loading cars. A larger one would be overkill & a bit more expense but will certainly do the job.

tubman 01-26-2017 06:37 PM

I hate to admit this, but I have a $59.95 2000 LB Harbor freight winch on mine. The heaviest car I have loaded was my '51 Ford (or my 67 Corvette; I don't off-hand know which is heavier). I had no problem with it. It also comes with a remote control, which is real handy. I figure that in the unlikely situation I want to load something heavier, I can buy a pulley with a hook and double the pull. I have had this one on my trailer for over 10 years with no problems. In addition, this worked so well that I bought an identical unit for my boat lift. It's been on there out in the weather for at least 6 years, and the only thing that went wrong is the relay corroded and quit working. I found a replacement relay on eBay for less than $20.00. This started out as a quick and dirty way to get my trailer ready to load my race car to go to a race, but since they work so well and their trouble-free nature, I just kept using them. Also, if one of them does go bad, I have an immediate replacement available. One of these days, I'm going to order another to keep on the shelf as a spare, but I never get around to it.

Oh, one thing; make sure that you get one that has "power-in" and "power out".

alanwoodieman 01-26-2017 09:57 PM

been extremely happy with my 5000 lb winch from harbor freight, they are on special for $165 now. even used it to haul a 1 1/2 ton truck on my buddy's big trailer

Seth Swoboda 01-27-2017 09:26 AM

John, As for a winch I can't help much there except I have purchased one "cheap" winch for an open trailer and it is sitting on the floor in the shop because it no longer works.

As for a trailer I currently have an open trailer, however for long distance hauling I borrow a 20 foot enclosed trailer from a friend. It too has a winch mounted in the front. The 20 foot trailer is the perfect length for hauling our V8's. I would not go smaller. Remember you will also use this trailer for other tasks so don't go too small. I have yet to say "I wish I didn't have so much room in this trailer". Also, if you get an enclosed trailer make sure it has a large door on the driver side that allows you to open the car door to exit the vehicle once you get it inside the trailer.

As a side note, I have been throwing out some serious thought about attending the Chantilly meet in June. If my father in law and Alex attend I may share a room with Glenn. I also need to talk to Jeff about his offer to drive his spare car during the meet if I do not bring a V8 out with me.

Seth

JM 35 Sedan 01-27-2017 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda (Post 1420247)
John, As for a winch I can't help much there except I have purchased one "cheap" winch for an open trailer and it is sitting on the floor in the shop because it no longer works.

As for a trailer I currently have an open trailer, however for long distance hauling I borrow a 20 foot enclosed trailer from a friend. It too has a winch mounted in the front. The 20 foot trailer is the perfect length for hauling our V8's. I would not go smaller. Remember you will also use this trailer for other tasks so don't go too small. I have yet to say "I wish I didn't have so much room in this trailer". Also, if you get an enclosed trailer make sure it has a large door on the driver side that allows you to open the car door to exit the vehicle once you get it inside the trailer.

As a side note, I have been throwing out some serious thought about attending the Chantilly meet in June. If my father in law and Alex attend I may share a room with Glenn. I also need to talk to Jeff about his offer to drive his spare car during the meet if I do not bring a V8 out with me.

Seth

Seth, all sounds good. Thank you for info on trailers. Hoping you guys can make Chantilly. I had a great time at the NVA RG96 ENM in 2007 in Fairfax, VA. I especially enjoyed the tour and BBQ picnic at the Cross Farm and that is on the agenda again for 2017. Also a tour to Manassas National Battle Field and another to Udvar-Hazy Center, the Smithsonian National Air & Space Museum's annex at Washington Dulles International Airport. Should be fun for all.

Krylon32 01-27-2017 10:46 AM

On my last 2 trailers I have used Dutton Lainson Model SA12015DC 12 volt with remote and hard wired it into my trucks battery, I've had no problems to date and winch a lot of heavy stuff onto the trailer. I buy direct since I live close but they are available from Northern Hydraulics.

JM 35 Sedan 01-27-2017 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanwoodieman (Post 1420112)
been extremely happy with my 5000 lb winch from harbor freight, they are on special for $165 now. even used it to haul a 1 1/2 ton truck on my buddy's big trailer

Alan, I assume the HF winches are all made in China? If I was only planning to occasionally pull an old Ford up onto a trailer, I would probably be okay with their winch, but I have some additional heavy duty applications that I'm planning to do with this winch, and failure in the boonies would be a disaster for me and others.

markdtn 01-27-2017 01:55 PM

My suggestion is buy about twice as big as you think you need. Also do not single line it. Use a snatch block/pulley, for 2 reasons. 1) A winch is more powerful the closer to the drum that the cable is pulling from (top wrap is weaker than the bottom wrap). and 2) you cut the strain on the winch roughly in half. The less you work it at full capacity, the longer it will last. I like a winch with power in/power out and free spool. You never know when you need to pull out a bunch of cable and if you have to power it, it can take a while.

edhd58 01-27-2017 06:02 PM

Also remember, rated weights are DEAD pull weights not rolling. A 2000 pound rated winch is supposed to dead lift a 2000 pound weight.

ronn 01-27-2017 06:14 PM

I know price is not the concern, but these are on ebay and thousands sold...........

Picture Information

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/HJAAAM...rcq/s-l500.jpg

Have one to sell? Sell now

Details about Classic 12000lbs 12V Electric Recovery Winch Truck SUV Durable Remote Control

VeryTangled 01-27-2017 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda (Post 1420247)
I also need to talk to Jeff about his offer to drive his spare car during the meet if I do not bring a V8 out with me.

Seth

As far as I know we're still golden. You might get the Phaeton because it's probably more reliable. Of course I just jinxed it!

JM 35 Sedan 01-29-2017 01:53 PM

A big thanks to those who posted information here for me on winches. Much appreciated. If anyone else would like to add their input on this subject, please do so.

Mike in AZ 01-29-2017 03:28 PM

i like warn winches....a m8000 should work well for you....check craigslist for good prices.....Mike

35fordtn 01-29-2017 05:10 PM

With a warn winch you can get a wireless remote control. When loading a car by yourself this feature is PRICELESS>